• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BUG REPORT: Time remap of nested sequence results in black/empty video using GPU

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only work-around seems to be to switch to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" which is brutal with 4K nested sequences.

This has been discussed for years on the Adobe Forums
https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=time%20remap%20nested%20sequence

but I did not find it listed here, so I am posting it now.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
63 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I'm also having this issue and it's cost me dozens of hours trying to work around it! Being an adobe customer is absolutely humiliating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been struggling with this exact issue (4k nested footage blacking out), spent a while redoing the work, then looked up a bunch of tutorials to find out what I was doing wrong. Nothing I found told me to do anything different so just googled the error and this is top result. As usual with most Premiere Pro problems, I find it to be a years old bug that has never been fixed.

Already started learning Davinci Resolve. I've decided that every time I hit an Adobe bug / issue in future, I will watch 1x YouTube tutorial on Davinci. That way, I figure it's in Adobe's hands how quickly I move away from Premiere Pro!

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bro what is wrong with Adobe, address this please! doesn't do this in windows

Mod note: Profanity removed. Please do not use profanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has to be the simplest thing to correct, 6 years and still nothing from adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@baarokun by virtue of it not having been fixed, I'd have to disagree with you there. Rather, my experience as a software dev leads me to suspect that Adobe's products are incredibly laden with technical debt, rendering even "simple" changes nearly intractable. For example, the integration of keyframes and time remapping is also jank (as well as leaving extraneous transforms after enabling Bezier curves (e.g. my footage is moving vertically when literally no keyframes change the Y coordinates, because in the past there was a keyframe doing so)).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Elaskanator,
Welcome to Adobe forums. I hope I can assist. Sorry about your issue. I'm not on the Premiere Pro staff—I'm in support. I'll see if I can reproduce your error and file a report here. 

Providing a project file and a short sample of media from that project is the ultimate test. If possible, upload it to Creative Cloud, Drop Box, or whatever you like. You can follow up with me via PM with the link. I will deliver the assets to the product team.

In the meantime, give us the details about your computer, including the GPU and driver (if on Windows). Give workflow steps and information on how to re-create the bug.

I can help more by receiving sample files from you or after learning more details about your setup and media.

To work around any GPU issues, you might reduce the need for GPU interaction. Sounds like you have many things going on there! Try working with "optimized" media instead of native camera files. Editing codecs like ProRes (DNxHR or Cineform OK) files are superior in effects creation, as there is no H.264 decoding trying to compete with the Mercury Playback Engine. When you take H.264/HEVC decoding out of the chain, you can handle effects creation more nimbly. Please try this out. Let me know if this works for you. 

Thanks,
Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to Adobe Forums @baarokun!

Sorry for the issue you're having. Give us computer specs, footage details, and any workflow steps you took so I can reproduce the bug (currently, I cannot). PM me a link to your project file and source files if you like, and I'll pass them on to the Premiere Pro product team (I am an employee but not a developer).

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy. I'm using 1080 and it's not working. Lots of people talking about switching to davinci I'll check it out now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kevin-Monahan I'm happy to help provide anything you need to look into this, maybe you could ping me a message or use my adobe registered email address. I don't really want to provide stuff in a forum because it's quite time-consuming and I've been down that road before - with this bug.  I'm happy to invest the time if I know it's actually going to get looked at, and not dismissed as what my Mrs calls "idiot user error"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I have 3 videos having 3 seconds each that are inside a NESTED. When I try to apply a speed ramp in the middle of the sequence, the video turns black.

I've been going through this for several years and today I came here in the community to research

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a work around. The problem dosn't accure then ther is only one video nested. As soon as I place two or more video's in the nested sequence the black video's apear. It works when you nest eatch video file separate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new update has been released and the problem continues. In Brazil, see with each update video editors abandoning the program and switching to DaVinci Resolve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello is there any news on a fix for this @Kevin-Monahan  - I have a 15second edit with 8 time-remapped nests in it. The nested shots are A/B cameras and the ramps applied at the edit points.

The second shot in every nest is showing as black in program monitor and render.

Is there any workaround other than export the nests as a solid clip and applying the time-remapping to the new clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate