• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BUG REPORT: Time remap of nested sequence results in black/empty video using GPU

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only work-around seems to be to switch to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" which is brutal with 4K nested sequences.

This has been discussed for years on the Adobe Forums
https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=time%20remap%20nested%20sequence

but I did not find it listed here, so I am posting it now.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
63 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ran into this and a plethora of other issues which switching to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" fixed. I was having an incredibly frustrating problem where I had a nested sequence on V2 and when a non-nested sequence clip started on V1, the sequence on V2 would just completely disappear. Made NO SENSE because the nested sequence was on the top track. Sure enough, switching renderers solved it. Thanks for wasting hours of my life Adobe. Seriously considering the switch to Davinci Resolve 16.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same, just had this same bug. Wish they would fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!!! Please read this comment!!!

Just edited my video, the same issue happened. Only that if I understand correctly the issue everyone talks about I know the "solution" if that is the appropriate name for that until it gets fixed.

From what I understand when you make a nested sequence it is the sum of all videos combined. When you speed up, adobe premiere for some reason it speeds up those videos so fast that it shows only part of them and fills up the other part with black screen as if they weren't there. Also it leaves the entire nested sequence the same length before time remapping

When I realized that, I double clicked on it and did time remap on each video separately inside nested sequence.
Only now it shows up as completely correct time remap that I did inside, none of the media was chopped with that black screen and the only thing was left is to cut out the unnecessary black screen thing.

Hope that helps to understand what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the same problem in 2021. Why is this not solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesus Christ how is this not fixed by now?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe
Any updates? 3 years since this bug report... and still? Is there even any point in reporting these sort of things if there is no help to be found? Very sad.
EDIT (half solution):
Using right click and Speed/Duration to speed the clip up works - but when doing it with Time Remapping keyframes it makes the clip black in proportion to how much you speed it up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening. Come on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is pathetic that this is still an issue. The difference in render time between using hardware acceleration and using software only is about 10 times longer with software only. Come on, Adobe, get with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first posted about this in 2017, I've seen posts from 2016 about it. But this is a mild snafu compared to the current time-remapping bug which is stopping me using premiere 14&15. As detailed:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/40471309-bug-time-remapping...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My original link showing the Adobe Forum posts going back to 2016 reporting this problem no longer works in my original Bug Report post above because of site changes.

Here is the new link:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false&...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix. this is causing me hours of work here. My sad workaround is just not time mapping my clips and using the unnested version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix. ****

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I regret the day I ever made a nested sequence. Endless problems. Tried different work around suggested. nothing worked. FU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seriously Adobe, you need to get this sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for a while now, and now that I thought it through, I dont think its a bug...

The problem is that we've been mistaking the idea of a nested sequence with the idea of merging or join clips... the way to solve this issue is to render and replace rather than nest.

Nesting is the process of putting a few clips under one tab in order to perform edits collectively however this doesn't apply to time remapping or warp stabilising.

Thanks all, hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an outsourced support guy tell me "audio sync is hard, maybe look up some youtube videos", it was absolutely the most condescending support experience of my life.

It really comes down to frame holds and time remaps being janky in nested sequences. Unfortunately we have no choice as nested sequences are the only good way around things like "remap + warp stabilizer" or "Premiere is barfing all over itself on the last frame because the clip has a different framerate than the sequence".

Mod note: Profanity removed. Please do not use profanity. We have minors reading here.

User note: I respectfully disagree. The way I was treated by the support staff representing Adobe absolutely merits the use of profanity. Also, I never evade word filters, so how about implementing one like a proper bulletin board?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

POSSIBLE FIX: I'm in PPRO 15.4.1 and I was trying to speed ramp two clips joined together (approaching a doorway, and going through the doorway) and the second clip was going black when speed ramping the nested sequence. I then nested both clips individually, then nested the individual nests and speed ramped that.

Wham bam thank you ma'am it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.. Any news from Adobe regarding this horrendous behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, been a few months but I have some new insight on this: Clearly if you do anything significant with frame holds, time remaps, stabilization, etc. then you are expected to use Adobe After Effects.

For a couple years I was getting by just fine on premiere pro and only very rarely needed to do any advanced editing, and so I didn't have After Effects on my subscription. I encountered many many many many bugs regarding frame holds, time remapping, framerate mismatch, etc.

Recently I upgraded my license and it turns out After Effects doesn't have any of these bugs. The implication is clear: The large majority of professionals using these tools are not complaining to Adobe about this because the "standard" workflow through After Effects (using Premiere Pro just to stitch things together) is actually working pretty much fine. Even the Warp Stabilizer gets ASTONISHINGLY better results than the one in Premiere Pro, with exactly the same options.

The consequences of this are equally clear: Adobe is never going to fix this because it already "works" for enough people. Your options are to live with awkward workarounds and bugs, or suck it up and shovel more money at them for an upgraded license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quand je fait du montage sur première pro je passe plus de temps sur les forums à chercher comment contourner les bugs que finalement faire mon montage.

Mod note: Profanity removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix it for god sake

Mod note: Profanity Removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround, which worked for me: Go to the source of the nested sequence. Select all tracks; enable multi-cam; disable multi-cam again. After that, the track containing the nested sequence did not show black screens anymore...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also experiencing this bug when trying to remap a nested sequence. Using latest version of Premiere 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUICK FIX: Select all clips that you would have tried to nest. Right click and select "Replace With After Effects Compostion". Export it from AE, import it back to PR and time remapping should work. (follow last steps if you don't want a dynamic link muddying up your project speeds)

Votes

Translate

Translate