• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BUG REPORT: Time remap of nested sequence results in black/empty video using GPU

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only work-around seems to be to switch to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" which is brutal with 4K nested sequences.

This has been discussed for years on the Adobe Forums
https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=time%20remap%20nested%20sequence

but I did not find it listed here, so I am posting it now.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
63 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this issue, it makes it very hard to get the job done right and promptly. .

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been at least 4 years and this still hasn't been fixed, please fix this Adobe!
Time remapping a nested sequence should not result in black preview, and I want the option to use either rendering option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also very frustrated by this when working on deadlines for big clients. this takes so much time.
Adobe you can do this!! Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another example!

It doesn't help to switch to only software. If I export is black also

https://youtu.be/fhKRMcD_aNM

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems the problem isn't fixed yet? Also working with 5K footage, render and replace + warp stabilizer doesn't work just like nesting the clip and then adding warp stabilizer doesn't work: both instances render partly black clips...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe Technical support solves me the problem removing the folder of common in roaming. but it happens again when you make some changes in the sequence. So every time you have the issue you must close premiere and delete the folder. Looks it's a problem of the cache previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this problem as well. Time remapping nested sequence results in black frames. Turning to "software only" doesn't fix it, and the black frames are there after export too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Switch the render to Software only (Not OpenCL or Metal) in both Adobe Premiere and Adobe Media Encoder if you're using it.

2. Close your project file, go to Documents and rename the 'Adobe' file 'Adobe OLD'.

3. Try exporting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's July 2019 and I am still seeing this issue. If the product was able to use the multicore processors we have in 2019, switching off the GPU wouldn't be such a big deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support this report. I edited in Premiere a 360 VR that is only a few seconds long and I included on it a time remapping. Once exported to After Effects in an arbitrary point becomes black and stays this way until the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make a lot of timelapse videos, and am forced to forgo smooth speed transitions because of this bug. That's like half the use cases for me, which I've spend thousands on this software for (the other being 360 video editing, but now Sony Vegas has it).
Unurprisingly, the free tool FFMPEG is becoming my primary "editing" tool for timelapse ingest, since it can do things like time remapping, stitching and concatenating folders of image sequences without taking literal hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Common Adobe! You are taking excesive ammount of time to fix this bug. It's been there for years and there's still no answer.
Please fix, pity please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Mercury Playback Engine Software Only also freezes frames when playing with Bezier curves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish we customers could charge you our hourly fee for the amount of time because of this bug.
It was first reported 4 years ago and still nothing has been done. Way to go Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent half of my day trying to figure out why I can't speed ramp a set of nested photos. As soon as the speed increases, I get black frames and the images disappear. I even exported the nested photos as a video and then reimported that video back into PP to try to speed ramp that... it did not work either. This project is due tomorrow and the client specifically wants the slideshow to increase speed with the music. The entire video should have taken me 4 hours total and now I have an entire day in this and a blank timeline.

Mod note: Edited for content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spent 2 hours in speed ramping a nested sequence, after a while there was only a black screen and in the nest I stilll had footage playing. This is so frustrating, people paying for this and working with deadlines are very unhappay right now .
MBP 16 METAL PP V. 14.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not nice... playback shows a freezed frame from the beginning of the clip while scrolling or paused will show the right selected part of it.
As said switching to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" will fix this but i can not consider it as a work around for a pro software.
Very dissapointing.
MBP16 // PP v 14.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encounter this problem, tried to google it and found this thread. More than year from the first bug report! Nice to see that something is stable in this world.
On the bright side now I know that in this particular case it's not me who is half-assed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a workaround. It shouldn't be necessary, but you can finish your project. Nest your clips, render, import, place the rendered clip on the topmost video track. Go back to the sequence containing the nest, and do your speed ramping on the nest. Alternatively, you can replace the nest with the rendered movie file. It's a PITA, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to cause the bug is simply to resize the composition, or render out at a different resolution (e.g. add to Media Encoder Queue then change export settings from there, not even from in Premiere).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with the speed ramped part going black.
It worked out for me to switch to Mercury playback software only, then rendering the nested clip and then switching back to Mercury playback Metal again.
not sure though if this is a permanente solution (just figured it out before posting this comment)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this really annoying bug Adobe. Experienced the same bug when using speed ramps with nested sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why has this not been fixed yet?! I'm running the latest version of PP in 2020 and still having this silly issue.. whether its cache issues or graphics switching or SOMETHING it doesn't mattter! We creatives need our programs to be reliable and working.. It's impossible to work with issues like this. ADOBE FIX THIS ASAP thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that if you switch to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" in the Project Settings, it does work, but playback is incredibly slow with 4k footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of the problem with this bug is that in all the interactions I've had with adobe staff, they have all intimated that the existing behaviour is correct: sort of "you're not holding it right", type feedback.

I have listed this bug at least twice.

Here is a new video demonstrating the problem. I am happy to help with this. I use remapping all the time. For the last 3 years I have been having to render interim files for nested sequences that have layers.If anything is still in anyway not clear, or if anyone thinks this behavior is still as expected, I'm all ears.
https://youtu.be/CoUYqRoHXEo

This is the closest I have ever got at interacting with Adobe staff. Unfortunately they failed to read my post properly, and vanished once hoops had been jumped through:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/nested-sequence-time-remapping-bug/td-p/9493724?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate