Exit

color difference between editing preview and exported video

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello 

i have a big problem in adobe premiere 2024 

there is a big diffrence between the color in the editing preview and the exported video 

in the edit preview colors looks more saturated and little bit contasted tghan in the exported video 

i tried to change color profile in adobe premiere setting but there is no big change 

what can i do ?

thank you

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Color , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because of two potential situations.

1. You have not properly setup your color management, which is required now due to multiple user wants ... SDR/Rec.709, HDR/HLG, and HDR/PQ, which all have different setup needs.
  2.  Or ... you are viewing the output in a player not following the same display standards as you have Premiere setup to use.

The color management options are all found in the Color workspace, Lumetri panel, Settings tab.

Tell us your OS and monitor, what the media is for color space, where you want to end up, we can tell you how to get there. If you're on a Mac, of course, there's a pick your poison choice for SDR/Rec.709 workflows ... thanks, Apple ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

i am on macbook air m2 15 inch sonoma 14.2.1

and normally the color space is Rec.709

i am lost i can t color grade correctly 

thank you so much 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is my lumetri panel settingScreenshot 2023-12-24 at 23.08.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, your shot doesn't include nearly all the relevant settings. But I can give comments, at least, from what you have provided.

First, you should normally have both Auto Detect Log 'on' in the Preferences section up top, and auto tonemap in the sequence section. That catches any say HLG footage, remaps to SDR/Rec.709 for the timeline, also matches most other log footage to the timeline. Your auto tonemap is off in that shot. 

You didn't show your other things, like say do you have the Display Color Management set to on, which you should for Macs. Well, and realistically, anyone without a full broadcast setup should have that set on. I do on my laptop, but not my highly calibrated and profiled fully tested Rec.709 main "reference" monitor.

Next ... you're working on a Mac, which brings its own troubles. Macs use an odd gamma for display of Rec.709 media ... 1.96. The entire rest of the world uses the full Rec.709 industry standard of display gamma 2.4 for Rec.709 media. 

So if you use Premiere in it's 'normal' display mode, the image inside of Premiere will be a little darker than say in QuickTime player outside of Premiere on that Mac. That same exported file on any correctly setup Rec.709 system will look like it did inside Premiere. 

You do have options now, and that's where the pick your poison comes in. Premiere now allows us to set the display gamma it uses internally ... three options, 1.96 "QuickTime", 2.2 "Web" ... and 2.4 "Broadcast".

If you set the 1.96/QuickTime option, then ... the exported video viewed on your system in QuickTime player will look the same as in Premiere. Which is good, right? Um ... well, here's the pick your poison part.

• On your Mac, the image will be the same inside and outside of Premiere, yeay!
  • BUT ... some newer Macs have "Reference Modes" ... and in those, there are new options, which include "HDTV" ... which uses the full-on Rec.709 settings including the 2.4 gamma for the display. SO ... any Mac user with that set on will see your clip too ... dark. Hmm.
  • And ... anyone on PCs and/orAndroid or full-on broadcast will see a darker image than you do.

So ... who do you worry about? Macs without reference modes? Or ... everybody else?

I work for/with/teach pro colorists, mostly Mac geeks and of course based in Resolve or Baselight ... and they are furious with Apple over that idiotic choice of Rec.709 display gamma. As there's nothing anyone can do about it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate