Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Constant instability and frequent crashes of the programs Mac M2 Pro

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Community and Support Team,

I am writing this post to express my deep dissatisfaction and concern regarding the performance of Adobe Viode apps on the Mac M2 Pro. As a professional user, I rely on Adobe’s tools for my daily work, but, regrettably, I am encountering a series of challenges that are severely compromising my workflow.

The main issues include constant instability and frequent crashes of the programs.

These incidents are not just frustrating but are causing tangible losses and an alarming level of stress.

It’s becoming unfeasible to maintain an efficient workflow under these conditions.

As a customer who makes a significant monthly investment in a subscription, I expect a standard of quality that matches this financial contribution.

The current situation, marked by security failures and instability, is far from acceptable in a professional environment.

In light of these circumstances, I demand a clear statement from Adobe on the following issues:

1. What actions are being taken to resolve these critical issues with Adobe apps on the Mac M2 Pro?
  2. What is the anticipated timeline for the implementation of these fixes?
  3. What measures does Adobe plan to implement to ensure such issues do not recur in the future?

I await an urgent and effective response. It is crucial that Adobe acknowledges and addresses these failures with the seriousness they deserve, not just to resolve my specific case but to ensure the reliability of its products for the entire professional community that relies on them.

Sincerely,

Daniel 

[title edited by mod]

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Hi @Daniel Muirakitan ,

There's a free version of media-info for macOS, I'm fairly certain. If not, it's a great utility to have and probably cheap. Up to you.

We have a properties inspection feature in Premiere Pro and that is OK to serve a similar purpose. Just that MediaInfo is what we use here on the forums to troubleshoot media problems. It is also helpful to know which camera shot the footage, which codec was used, the codec, the wrapper, the frame rate, or whether it has a variable fram

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

[seeking actionable specifics]

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
24 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Specifically, which critical issue(s) are you referencing? 

Many thousands of users (and many testers and developers) are running PPro on M2 machines, without issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[seeking actionable specifics]

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your attention to this matter. Here are the specific critical issues I'm experiencing with Adobe Premiere Pro 24 on my late 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, with 16gb RAM:

1. Frequent application crashes: Could you provide insights into what might be causing these crashes?
    Are there any known compatibility issues or bugs that are being addressed?
  2. Performance instability: The app often become unresponsive or slow down significantly. It gets worse this year.. I just can't render my videos since this january without having to try at least, 5 times, each. I've tried all the tutorial here in Adobe Community (clear media cache, reinstall, change configuration, clear preferences... etc)
    Is there a recommendation or update or add-on that might resolve these performance issues?
  3. Data loss due to crashes: I've noticed MANY that similar reports from other users.
    What is causing the instability?? What steps are being taken to prevent such occurrences in the future?

While I understand that many users are running these applications without issues, my experience has been notably different. This leads me to a few follow-up questions:

• Are there specific versions or settings that are known to work better on M2 machines with SONOMA OS?
  • What kind of support or resources does Adobe provide to users who encounter such issues?
  • Can Adobe offer a dedicated technical review of my specific case to identify and resolve these issues?

It's crucial for my professional workflow to have these applications running smoothly. An effective and permanent solution from Adobe would not only assist me but also enhance the user experience for others who might be facing similar challenges.

If you could not help me anymore further, please tell me so. I just can't wait anymore.

I look forward to your detailed response and potential solutions.

Best regards,

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>...If you could not help me anymore further, please tell me so.

Without actionable specifics (by which I mean, steps to follow that reliably reproduce the behaviors described), we can't offer much meaningful comment on the generalizations you're making.  

Each new PPro release contains fixes for bugs and compatibility issues.

>What is causing the instability? 

That answer to that question will be unique, for each instance of unstable behavior. 

Are there specific versions or settings that are known to work better on M2 machines with SONOMA OS?

No. There are many (tens of thousands) of PPro users on M2 systems, reporting zero issues; we're hopeful that, provided with actionable specifics, we can resolve the issues you've encountered. 

> What kind of support or resources does Adobe provide to users who encounter such issues?

https://helpx.adobe.com/tech-comm-suite/customer-support.html

Additionally, we Engineering Managers occasionally try to help out on the forums, but our record is mixed. 😉

>Can Adobe offer a dedicated technical review of my specific case to identify and resolve these issues?

No, but we're happy to pursue specific issue reports, provided with reliable steps to reproduce the issue in question.

>I await an urgent and effective response.

Happy to provide, given actionable specifics. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your willingness to look into the issues.

I appreciate the opportunity to provide more detailed information to help in resolving these problems.

Here are the specific details and steps to reproduce the issues I'm experiencing with Adobe applications on my Mac M2 Pro:

Applications Affected:
- Premiere Pro 24, Premiere Pro Beta
- Media Encoder 24, Media Encoder Beta

Main Issue Description and Reproduction Steps:
1. **Crashes Upon Opening Projects:**
- Upon selecting and opening a project in Premiere Pro, the application frequently crashes. This requires multiple attempts before the project opens successfully.
2. **Crashes During Rendering:**
- When rendering videos, Premiere Pro consistently crashes, failing to complete the rendering process. Especially when videos awith more quality are encoding, 

My System Configuration:
- Mac Mini 2023
- Apple M2 Pro chip
- 16GB RAM
- macOS SONOMA 14.2.1

Troubleshooting Attempts:
- Reinstalling the applications;
- Updating the applications;
- Clearing media cache (i've tried all the 3 different ways);
- Clearing Preferences;
- Running the applications without any other apps open;
- Reviewing Adobe's FAQ documentation;

- Outcome: Clearing the cache allowed the project to open without an immediate crash, but the rendering issue persisted.

Frequency and Impact:
- These issues occur daily and have been persistent since late 2023.
- They have severely impacted our workflow, causing significant delays in projects and high levels of stress for me and my team.

Given these specifics, I am seeking guidance on how to resolve these critical issues. The challenges I've outlined are significantly hindering our professional work, and a prompt and effective solution is urgently needed.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to any advice or steps you can provide to help rectify these issues.

Best regards,

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello? Could anyone coudl help me?
Bruce, are you still there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, still here. 

We believe that they're happening, but to date we have no repro steps for either of the two key issues you mentioned, that have worked for us; I see that we're working with users on both issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe's response to the reported issue with Premiere Pro on the Apple M2 PRO chip is just "I'm sorry"??

Is that over???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe's response to the reported issue with Premiere Pro on the Apple M2 PRO chip is just "I'm sorry"??

No, our response remains "We are pursuing reliable repro cases of those issues, from any users, whether or not they're using M2 machines."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, your answer to the problem that my team is facing with Adobe programs is: "we are waiting for something that we don't know what it is... But it hasn't happened yet"

Meanwhile, my entire operation remains unfeasible and there is NOTHING to be done by the company that I pay for EVERY month in the hope of stability, security and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are performing testing on our own, and we are actively solicitous of any specific, step-by-step instructions which enable us to reliably reproduce the reported behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you want to believe in me and be able to give me some perspective on solving the problems??
A screen recording with the defects occurring???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> What do you want to believe in me and be able to give me some perspective on solving the problems??
> A screen recording with the defects occurring???

No. 

As previously mentioned, we believe that the problems happen. We have not been able to reproduce the problems. The first step to fixing a problem, is being able to reproduce the problem. 

While we have performed exploratory testing of our own, it would be ideal if someone could provide step-by-step instructions, which reliably reproduce the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about just browsing the Adobe Community Forum or any other forum (if you want to find one, of course). There are many posts reporting performance failures, crashes and freezes like the ones I report on the M2 PRO chip.

It is not possible that just you are living in a parallel universe where Premiere Pro 24 is working 100% on the Mac M2 with iOS SONOMA 14.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, there are many reports. I haven't seen any that provide steps which reproduce the behavior. 

It is not possible that just you are living in a parallel universe where Premiere Pro 24 is working
> 100% on the Mac M2 with iOS SONOMA

[presuming you meant MacOS]

It's not parallel; we're in the same universe. 

My machine, which has run PPro without issue, since July:

m2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, @Daniel Muirakitan,

Sorry for the frustration. I have a similar machine and am not experiencing those issues. What kind of media are you editing with? Which camera shot the footage? If you wouldn't mind, can you run a sample clip through the free app called Media Info in tree view and paste the screenshot here? Link: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Sometimes problems can be related to the media you use or the workflow you are engaging in. I hope we can help you here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Kevin-Monahan,

Thank you for someone at Adobe caring about their customers' problems.

The app you suggested is paid. Look, I already invest almost 1500/year to have a reliable and resilient editing software. I don't think it's pertinent to have to spend more just to answer a question. But if there is no other alternative and this information is responsible for enlightening us, then what media information would be useful to you and why?

I ask this because I have always used the same type of media in my projects and they have always worked.

Therefore, it does not seem to me that the variable in the equation that has been responsible for the uselessness of Premiere Pro in my operation has been the media.

Anyway, could you inform me what data you would like to have access to? This way I will look for a non-paid alternative to provide you with this data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Daniel Muirakitan ,

There's a free version of media-info for macOS, I'm fairly certain. If not, it's a great utility to have and probably cheap. Up to you.

We have a properties inspection feature in Premiere Pro and that is OK to serve a similar purpose. Just that MediaInfo is what we use here on the forums to troubleshoot media problems. It is also helpful to know which camera shot the footage, which codec was used, the codec, the wrapper, the frame rate, or whether it has a variable frame rate. These things are pretty important to be aware of when troubleshooting unepected behavior in a project. Maybe you didn't know that H.264 or HEVC footage, very common, are also some of the most highly compressed video formats on the planet and require a good deal of horsepower, especially if it is 4K, with variable frame rates. Even the latest Macs have limitations.

You said that the media you are using gave you no issues in the past, right? That is helpful. You can give us a screenshot of a sample clip's properties by right clicking a clip and choosing Properties. You can post a screenshot of that here, if you don't mind.

Perhaps media is not your issue, and your project is corrupt. We can look at that now.

So, what has changed since you began to have problems?

• Did you update macOS in the middle of this project?
  • Did you update Premiere Pro versions while working in this project?
  • Did you migrate this specific project while the new hardware was updated?

If so, these kinds of actions can corrupt an NLE project file, be it Avid, FCP, Resolve, or Premiere Pro; Mac or PC. Try testing the same media in a new project. Is it functioning?

If so, create a new project and import the older project into the new one to update the project file with new code. Try this updated project now and see if you get better performance. I've seen others have this problem lately. Try that, and report back.

Finally, I would ask about your media and where it is stored. Is it an external HD? Is it a NAS or SAN? What are its specs and how full is it? Tested the speed? Or are you storing it all to the MacHD? Knowing more about your media drive would help immensely.

I hope the advice helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, some clear guidance I can work with, rather than just some sly trickery... Thanks, @Kevin-Monahan.

I'll try the alternatives you suggested.

By the way:

Did you update macOS in the middle of this project?
Answer: Probably. I always keep all my software as up-to-date as possible.

Did you update Premiere Pro versions while working on this project?
Answer: Probably. I always keep all my software as up-to-date as possible.

Did you migrate this specific project during the new hardware update?
Answer: Definitely not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Thanks for answering. Let us know how it goes once you perform triage to your project file. It's a pretty common way to fix memory leaks and other unexpected behavior when updating mid-project. I see another person with memory leaks with a similar system. I hope it works for you.

Cheers,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captura de Tela 2024-01-23 às 12.02.22.png

Hello @Kevin-Monahan.

Nothing worked! This is concerning.
What should I do to get back to work?

Please, as an adobe representativem, give me an answer. ANY answer!
It would be really frustrating and inconvenient to have to switch everything over to Resolve, considering I've always been an advocate for ADOBE among my peers.
Sadly, it seems they might have been right all along in trying to convince me to break free from Adobe.

What do you think? Just say something, i need do edit videos!!

My clients just dont care what editing software i'm using.

Best regards,
Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP ME! PLEASE!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, @Daniel Muirakitan,

I read your post. You say that the steps I had you try did not work. I apologize that I was unable to solve your issue using standard troubleshooting. Please contact assisted support for one-on-one assistance with this issue. I hope that's OK.

To contact Adobe Customer Service, do the following: 

1. Make sure to sign into your Adobe account. Allow popups and cookies on your browser. Note: You may not be able to see the chat window if using a VPN. 
  2. Click here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen. This will automatically open the chat window. 
  3. Type "Agent" in the chat box to be connected to a live agent. 
  4. When you get an agent, ask to be connected to the video queue. These are agents that are specially trained to handle issues related to digital video and audio.

I hope they can help you. Let us know what they say so that the community can stay informed and help others having trouble with the same situation. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am experiencing the same thing on an M2 Pro / Sonoma 14.3

But it is both Media Encoder and Premiere Pro when rendering. Can set REc. 709 or 2020 or whatever it will crash. Audio or no audio .. crash. It quite often does not want to use Hardware Acceleration -- I feel like once it starts Hardware Acceleration is never available until I restart.

This was not the case before the last 1-2 updates to PPro Beta -- Switch over to Windows 11 Desktop PC with Nvidia RTX card -- renders in a flash also PPro Beta or Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate