• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Did PP do a software update or why am I have so many glitches?

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started with Audio cross fade yesterday not sticking to anything but then it progressed to a specific video file I use as a front end.  I used it yesterday then when I went to use it again, PP refused to allow it in the Bin, same today.  Then when I went to remake it, when I went to pull over a video from the Bin into the timeline, it wouldn't pull the audio, I doublechecked the audio track was in tact but not in the bin nor pulling into the timeline.  I've rebooted everything.  I'm not clear what to do next so I'm think it must be PP???

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
21 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.  There are many things that cause issues not just an app update.   Giving us this information, may help us figure out what's going on.     

do you have automatic updates enabled in the creative cloud app?  I'd turn it off, but check for updates on a regular basis.  If you need help with either of these workflows, post back.   Personally, I have autoupdate turned off...  You can revert to the previous version using the creative cloud app if you want to see if that's the issue.  

Resetting preferences and deleting caches might help...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for a speedy reply.  This was a bit of a challenge as I’m not very tech-savvy.

I have a MACBook Pro 2020, OS =Ventura 13.5.2  Memory = 8GB and available for PP = 6GB
PP version 2023/ 23.6.0
No graphics card as this has an Apple M1 and they only used graphics cards when using Intel processors in earlier versions.
I cleared the cache and it made no difference (I tried the item below again with no luck).  I couldn’t see how to turn on or off software updates, so would like to learn..so any guidance on that is welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

auto update.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, 8 gigs is marginal for working in Premiere particularly with 4k material.   What are your source properties and sequence settings?   And unfortunately Apple doesn't allow you to add RAM to most of their current modesl.  You might want to explore a proxy workflow which would allow you to work with lower resolution placeholders.   Not the simplest workflow to get your head around, but once you do, it can help a great deal.   You might do some googling to find some tutorials on this.   Post back with any further questions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not very advanced.  Is Creative Cloud part of PP?  I pulled it up and it looks nothing like this screenshot so I'm still not finding this auto update.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 12.46.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1695750809178.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is part of creative cloud and I think you must have it installed for premiere to function properly.  Look in your applications folder and you should find a folder called Adobe Creative Cloud.  You'll find the app inside that folder .  When you installed Premiere, it should have installed Creative Cloud and it should load Creative Cloud automatically when you start up the computer.    Either launch the app, or click on the creative cloud icon in your menu bar to find the options Ann is pointing to.  Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 1.53.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, but theres still nothing showing that does a software update.  I'm sorry to be so obtuse.  I've clicked a bunch of stuff and it just launches different apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with the creative cloud app active,  go to the creative cloud menu just to the left of the apple iconScreenshot 2023-09-26 at 2.07.15 PM.png at the top left and choose preferences.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I found it, I found my account, and turned off keep it up to date.  It didn't say anything about software but I'm going to assume thats the same.  As to my issue do I hear you say I have to work outside of my laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can probably use your laptop, but it's seriously underpowered to work in Premiere.    A proxy workflow might allow you to work more efficiently.  Do some googling for "Premiere Pro proxy workflow"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, I will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Michael Grenadier stated, that M1 MacBook Pro with only its base specs is underspecced, not just underpowered, for the source material that you're trying to work on. It would require a much more powerful, much larger and much more expensive computer system to be handled properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the time I got PP a local videographer recommended PP and seemed to think my laptop was adequate for the job who also used PP.  I suppose it could have topped out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's the thing.  Not everyone can afford to upgrade to a better computer.  Trying a proxy workflow may allow Dorothy to get over the hump.  I know it's not ideal but worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well maybe you asked the wrong person...  In New York City, we have a saying:  ask 3 people for directions and you'll get 3 answers, all of them wrong...     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I googled the proxy workflow as you suggested and pretty much didn't understand very much of what it said.  It was way over my head technically so its not a process I can pursue as I really don't understand what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand but I've made over 40 videos using my laptop until yesterday so it wasn't too inadequate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact is, the M1 macs have a new way of handling RAM and although I take everything Apple says with a large grain of salt, it may be able to work.  And, it's crucial you leave as much empty space on the startup drive as possible, a minimum of 20% free space but more is probably better.    All modern operating systems swap data to the startup drive when they're running out of usable RAM and since the M1 macs use SSD's for a startup drive, this should be relatively unobtrusive.  And don't work with any other apps running.    Make sure your working with the laptop connected to AC not running off battery.   And try a proxy workflow...  And see if you're able to work...  I've got a 2012 MacBook Pro maxed out at 16 gigs of RAM that I use when I need to work at a clients...  a low res Proxy workflow makes this possible working with 4K material...   And don't think you ever told us what your source clip properties are.  Certain formats are difficult to work with and making prores proxy files may give you better performance.   Oh yeah, working with your media on an external SSD drive may also help...  No guarantees, but worth some testing.  Post back with any questions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a proxy workflow is not THAT complicated....  select a few clips in the bin/project window, control click and choose proxy: create proxy: format:quicktime: and choose preset: prores low resolution proxy.    You enable proxies in both the source and program monitor by mapping "toggle proxies" to the shortcuts beneath either monitor.  click on "toggle proxies" and it should turn blue indicating you're accessing the proxies rather than the full resolution camera original...  Lots of nuances possible here, but this should enable you to test this workflow to see if it allows you to work.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course, if you can afford a new computer...  You might also find a decent referb mac from Apple, or a windows machine that although will have a learning curve, is generally less expensive that apples..  Just check the minimum recommended specs for premiere... 

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html#gpu-acceleration

and post any questions here.  

Votes

Translate

Translate