Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting a freeze frame is still using proxies

Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 23 installed today, and a basic bug is still not fixed;
I'm working with UHD footage on a FHD project, and when I export a static .TIFF 'freeze-frame' for Photoshop editing, I get a low quality pixelated image. Months ago I discovered that if I detach my proxy files first, I get a true quality export image.
Note; I am not in proxy preview when exporting, Premiere simply exports from the proxy by default!

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Hi all, 
We've identified the cause of this issue and have a fix for it. It will be released in a Premiere Pro update early in the new year. Unfortunately, it didn't quite make the cutoff for the next release, which is coming before the end of this year. 
Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate
39 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point @liveshots - I only needed the basic frame for a thumbnail.. Took me FOREVER to discover what was going on..!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same issue even with proxies turn off.. I can't get e decent still frame from the timeline!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching them off at the toggle button won't do the job. The only way around it is to go into your video bin, right-click the video(s) you want to capture the frame from, and in the menu select Proxy > Detach Proxies.
Save your project before you do that, then once you've detached & exported the frame you can go File > Revert rather than re-attach your proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha I thought it was me! yes using proxy will not untoggle in the frame grab so you get proxy quality - the workaround I use is to find the clip in project and export from source. if you pres F (match frame) the you will be on exactly the same frame; this is source so no grading etc will be on the still, but im my case I wanted to do some Ps work so just need the still.  hope this fix is comming soon 

cheers 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

February 6th, 2023. Please fix this issue. It's funny looking at threads online showing that this issue has existed for five years now. It seems like it can't be THAT difficult to fix considering how complex Premiere is and how capable the programmers are clearly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the up-votes, but I've got my work-around for this bug. What's bothering me is 23.1 won't support my long-running projects built in earlier releases. Stuck with 23 or I lose my months of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed yet, even the workaround using the source monitor will export a proxy image, the only workaround is to detach the proxy, but for someone who exports a lot of frames this method takes too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an ongoing issue. The more people that report the problem, the more priority Adobe should place on addressing said issue, one would hope. Although that theory is yet to be proven correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue. 
I have a workaround that I like, perhaps it could help others - I find that if I export frame (shift+E) several times repeatedly on the same frame and then go to check my export folder, some of the exported frames are from the proxy file (low quality) and some are from the source footage (high quality). You can usually see the difference in the file size of the image file. Obviously then you just delete the low quailiy versions. This works regardless of if you are exporting the frame from Program Monitor or Source Monitor, so you can keep your grading etc if you want. 
It's not perfect, but for me it's quicker than detaching and reattaching proxies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems this is still an issue even in August 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the current non-beta version, it works when I unclick Proxy button - which is very annoying when I want to export a bunch of frames (exporting a proxy screenshot has gotta be super edge case right?) - but it does work. no need to complete detach proxy from source footage

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

December 21, 2023, and it still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not believe for one second this is an unfixable issue that is too complex for them to fix.

It is purely negligence at this poont. I love Adobe. They have made me a lot of money. But they are really dissapointing me allowing a pretty significant bug to persist this long. Anyone who shoots music videos knows how important A. proxies are and B. exporting frames to share with clients. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

exactly my thoughts. I can't see any reason why someone would want to export a proxy still frame. Even when proxies are turned on, they should export from the original source media. Does anyone know if this has been requested as a feature request?

Votes

Translate

Translate