• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generated captions still overshoot the clips by quite a margin

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to generate captions from a generated transcription, the result is always a overshoot of the actual clip, which needs to be fixed manually. Tho this has been much worse in previous versions, it still exsists none the less. Premiere clearly knows where each word is, as the follow along animation in the captions indicates, it knows when a clip ends, why does the caption then overshoot this?

Makes no sense to me and always results in a lot of busy work. 

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Hi Creative,

I'm Kevin, one of the mods here. Thanks for filing the bug report. If you can provide any other details, the team likes to see information presented in this format: How do I write a bug report?

I hope the advice helps you get this solved soon. Sorry for the hassle!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvoted. What version of PR are you using?

I don't recall if my recent example was in 24.4.1 or 24.5. I had no gap in the sequence, the caption was the last one, and it ended before the end of the sequence.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im on 24.5, but this has been an ongoing issue since over a year, to variing degrees of severity. They made a bit of an update to its behaviour in 24.2.1, but the result is still this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Creative,

I'm Kevin, one of the mods here. Thanks for filing the bug report. If you can provide any other details, the team likes to see information presented in this format: How do I write a bug report?

I hope the advice helps you get this solved soon. Sorry for the hassle!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The status of the bug report has been updated.

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2024 Jul 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Issue - When I go to generate captions from a generated transcription, the result is always a overshoot of the actual clip, which needs to be fixed manually. 
  • Adobe Premiere Pro version number: 24.4.1 - 24.05
  • Operating system - Windows 11 and macOS  Ventura
  • System Info: CPU, GPU, RAM, HD:
    • CPU 5950x

• GPU and Driver Version 7900 xtx

• RAM 3200 CL16 32gb

• Hard Drive (and, if external, how the drive is connected: USB 3, Thunderbolt, etc.). ssd interal

• Video format: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0 
  • Workflow details: I have videos clips layed out in a pattern of 2x"Headers" > 1x"Script" > 2x"CTA", with this pattern repeating multiple times in once composition. Between each headers, the headers and the script, the script and the CTA, and the CTAs there are gaps (see below). I let adobe generate an automatic transcript of the videos. When I convert that into captions, the result is like you can see in the "overshoot.png" in the original post. 

Creative31032015t7hf_0-1721996021436.png

• Steps to reproduce - (Very important!) 
    1. Have video with gaps in between them with spoken audio.
    2. Cut video as to where there are minimal gaps of empty space at the start or end.
    3. Generate a transcript of said audio.
    4. Generate captions. 
    5. See that the captions are overshooting, sometimes also undershooting the end of the clip instead of ending where the clip ends. 
  • Expected result - The caption length should match the clip length if the ending is where the word ends.
  • Actual result - Captions are overshooting, sometimes also undershooting the end of the clip instead of ending where the clip ends.  

@Kevin-Monahan hope this is better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, its been a while now since I updated the bug report with more information with the comment above, could you please change the status?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Creative31032015t7hf,

Thanks for requesting that we update the status of the bug report. We need someone on the software development team to respond to do that. Let me draw the team's attention to this bug. I hope they will respond shortly.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Creative31032015t7hf

Thanks for using the Transcript option in Adobe Premiere Pro. It is a great function and we are glad you can make use of it.

This tool can definitely save time and money if your working on projects on your own, but it is far from perfect so we take into account everything we see from users like yourself to get a better understanding on how to improve and perfect somethings that are still missing.

I use the transcript tool in my music videos and I still have to spend some time correcting words and lining things to achieve perfection. Sometimes it comes up with such a random word that it needs my attention to correct it and place it perfectly.

In your particular situation I have done the exact same steps and understand what you mean about the captions not lining up perfectly with the clips head and tail. There may be one thing you can do to accommodate that long tail end of captions in your gaps.

If you could try this let me know if it helps out with your situation. For now it may be the best way to help shorten those CC and not overshoot the tail end of the clip as you showed in your first post.

When you create captions there is a window that pops up and you can change the minimum duration in seconds. Have you tried to turn this down fro the default setting of 3 to 1.2?  You still might have the first subtitle clip coming in a little earlier than the head end of your first video clip, but it should cut down the overshoot of all the tails clips.

Below are some screen grabs and examples of using a lower minimum duration in seconds.

The team is still working on perfecting the transcription process and I hope this helps out some for your situation. Let me know and we will continue to improve this tool with valuable feed back from users like yourself. 

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 11.25.55 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-09 at 11.41.18 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2024 Sep 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The status of this bug report is updated.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate