• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitch when scaling down 4k footage to 1080p

New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I start by creating a new sequence, 1080 x 1920 (for Instagram)
  • I drag the 4k footage to the timeline and I click on "Keep existing settings"
  • The footage, instead of being in 4k, is automatically being converted to 1080p.

The problem is that it's now getting automatically scaled to 100%. Previously, it would be in 4k, which would give me the ability to zoom in and get different angles/etc.

It's important to note, that when I do this same test on 1920 x 1080, it works properly (the 4k footage remains in 4k). However, the issue only exists when I change it to 1080 x 1920.

If anyone has suggestions, please advise.

MacOS, 12.6.5

Premiere Pro 23.4.0 (Build 56)

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your preferences > media > Default Media Scaling.............

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ann Bens Thank you for your response. The Default Media Scaling is set to "None". If you watch the attached video in my OP, you will see that this bug only occurs when the sequence is set to 1080 x 1920. It works correctly when it's the standard 1920 x 1080.Premiere Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not ever occur for me in the past. I am now unable to take advantage of the full resolution of the 4K footage in a 1080 x 1920 sequence.

To clarify the error, instead of the 4K footage being added to the timeline as 4K, it's getting added in a lower resolution by itself. When I go to Effect Controls > Motion > Scale, it shows as 100% and when I scale out even one percent, the black bars show up.

The error can be clearly seen in my original video. 

Is there a solution for this, or is this just going to be another one of the many Premiere bugs that make the software impossible to use? Please let me know so I can start looking for an alternative solution to edit the footage for work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When adding a 4K clip to a HD setting then yes it will come in as 100% because the default scaling is set to none.

And yes you are going to see black bars when zooming out on a landscape clip in a portrait setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the exact same issue right now trying to import 4K video into an Instagram promo video. Did you find a solution? It doesn't sound like Ann's response solved this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm havinr this issue as well. Any solition discovered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem actually ended up being a mistake that I made! I recorded it in
landscape I was expecting to scale the footage to portrait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this issue. 

4k footage was scaling down to 1920x1080 HD when brought in from a 4k sequence to HD sequence.
It was showing as 100% scale but with no zoom.

The Default Media Scaling was already set to "None". 

However when I right-clicked the footage in the HD sequence, "Scale to frame size" was ticked.

When I unticked it, the 4k footage reverted to being 4k within the HD sequence. Requiring 50% scale to see full frame.

Hope this helps someone else, its my first resolve on the forum!

Windows 10
Premiere 2024
Team project

Votes

Translate

Translate