Exit

In & out points of sequences being ignored in project window and in sequences

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is very annoying.

Working correctly:

If I set in and out points of a CLIP they're reflected in the project panel details list and if I drag that clip into a sequence the clip will be the length dictated by the in & out points.

I am able to edit the in & out points in the project list details view.

Not working as expected:

If I set in and out points of a SEQUENCE they're NOT reflected in the project panel details list and if I drag that clip into a sequence the clip WON'T be the length dictated by the in & out points, it will be the length from the beginning of the first video to the end of the last video in the sequence.

I am also UNABLE to edit the in & out points in the project list details view, they keep jumping back to what they were as you type.

This is the same behaviour in Premiere 2023 and 2024.

What am I doing wrong? This seems to negate any advantages in having in out points for sequences!

Any help much appreciated.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine seems to  work using Icon view. I've never dreamed of setting in/out in the small icon view and couldn't imagine working this way, you can open the sequence in the source monitor right? Set in and out there. How do you set in/out in detail view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot edit/change in and outpoints of clips or sequences in List View only in Icon View.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks for the comment. And thanks for the tip about the icon view, I am finally able to change the in out for a sequence using icon view. However I still CANNOT do it in the source monitor....(which would be far more accurate!)

Ailbhe33643541cum1_2-1700222871680.png

Moving these has no effect (either on the length listed in the project panel or the length of the sequence when dragged into anther sequence).

I can move in outs using the hover scrub in the icon view and it updates on the sequence view but it doesn't work the other way around. Any thoughts as to why?

FYI I'm finding I CAN change the in out points of a clip in list view. (see below) It just doesn't work for sequences even though it will let you type in a new number it just doesn't save! 😤

Ailbhe33643541cum1_1-1700222576351.png

Many thanks for the help so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the tip re Icon view, that works for me. For some reason icon view will let me adjust in outs of clips and sequences whereas the list view only lets me adjust clips! (I'm setting using the in out columns) you can scrub side to side on that too. It's a silly way to do it admittedly but I only tried it in desperation as setting the in outs in a sequence itself isn't working.

Ailbhe33643541cum1_1-1700222576351.png

I still cannot adjust in out points from within a sequence. I can move the sliders in the timeline for the sequence or the program view but they're not reflected in the length of the sequence as shown in the project panel and they are not reflected in the length of the sequence when dragged into another sequence. If I change the sequence in out points in the timeline or program view and close and reopen the sequence the in out points are as expected however  if I drag that sequence into another sequence they immediately revert back to what the project panel thought the in outs should be. This is so frustrating!

You mention using the source monitor to adjust in outs, I'd never thought of this but I just dragged a sequence into the source monitor rather than double clicking it and you're right I can open it in the source monitor and changing the in out points there DO work as expected, but it's clumsy place to do it for a sequence as I can't see the individual clips only the resultant video. It seems from the source monitor you have to click the wrench and click "open sequence in timeline"  then you can see the sequence in the timeline and whohoo the in out points there have the expected effect! It's listed as "Sequence 2 (source monitor)" rather than "Sequence 2" . So I've finally got something to work as expected! But every time I want to edit a sequence I have to drag it into the source monitor and click to show it in timeline. This is tedious! Do you know what the in out points in "Sequence 2" are supposed to do if it's only the in out points in "Sequence 2 (source monitor)" that have any affect?

Many thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can right-click the sequence in the project and select 'Open in Source Monitor'

You can also have more than one timeline panel open, just drag one of the tabs somewhere else, usually above the master timeline. Then you can have both open, and grab clips from one and drop them into the other. 

Here's a google search: Premiere Pro Pancake Editing 

Votes

Translate

Translate