• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FIXED issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4

Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been fixed in 23.5 which is now available.  Please update to get the fix.

We are aware of an issue in Premiere Pro version 23.4: when transcribed clips in a timeline are taken offline and relinked, clips shift and reset to the first frame. Effects, transitions, and speed changes can also be removed or impacted.  Our engineers understand the problem well, and we are testing fixes internally right now.  We have put a fix into Public Beta and will get the fix into an official release ASAP.  I will update this post with more details as soon as I learn them.

If you are experiencing this problem:

If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.

Workaround #1 – Restore media

1. Put the media back in its original location so no relinking is required.

* There are many cases where this is not possible; try one of the following:

Workaround #2 – Beta

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and ensure the sequence looks correct.
  3. You may choose to just work in Beta –or– save and open in 23.4

Workaround #3 – XML

1. Export XML (File > Export > Final Cut Pro XML) from the original system that has properly connected media.
  2. Import the XML into a new project on the new system and reconnect the media

* Please take note – not all aspects of the sequence will be reproduced by the XML

Workaround #4 – revert to Premiere Pro 23.3

1. Open Creative Cloud Desktop app
  2. Click on All Apps
  3. Find Premiere Pro
  4. From the three dots on the right, choose “Other versions”
  5. Choose 23.3
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Hello, 
This issue is fixed in Premiere Pro v23.5, which will be available the week of June 17. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 214 Replies 214
214 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I want to ask something

I find something weird that happened in Premiere Pro and only happen when i work with 2 different PCs.

Let say PC A and PC B.

I tried to edit a video in PC A, because i shot audio and video from different source i do a sync process first by align the video and audio, and it works good

So i continue to cut and clip process and other basic stuff

Then when i want to do color grading, i move this project to my other PC B, open it there, and just to find out all my clipped video and audio are out of sync.

So i tried open it in my PC A where i edit this file in first place, and everything WORKS FINE, then check back again to my color grading PC B, and in OUT OF SYNC again, 

I have been desperate on what is going on, maybe you guys have some insight on what to do?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry forgot to add another information

I also realized, when i open in PC A audio source let say started on 1st second, but when i open in PC B it started on 2nd second

I didnt do anything, it just happened when i open in PC B

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is screenshot from PC A (correct version):

Capture.PNG

And here is the screenshot from PC B:

Capture1.PNG

It does move 1 sec behind, and i tried to move "In" manually to 1 sec earlier and its okay, the problem is, in PC A, now its became out of sync again

This issue drive me crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Black293525620ovo,

I´m having the same issue. Worked on an edit on a PC A (iMac Pro Intel), and when I open the same project file on a PC B (Macbook Pro M1) all timelines and audio layers are desync.

I tried de next things but no results: 

-Cleaning Cache.

-Re opening project file from another Intel computer

-Checking framerate, backups

-Unistalled Premiere Pro and installed again. 

-Downgrading Premiere Pro version 

-Downgrading Project File

-Renaming Footage, reinterpret footage, disconnect and relink files...

-Cried so hard.

I´m actually quite lost on this problem and it seems it happening to more people at the same time with these last version of Premiere Pro. 

Please someone help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcos

Yeah im afraid its possible that are lot of people has same problem with us

But if i may ask, what Premiere Pro version you used?

I used Premiere Pro 2022 version 22.6.2 (Build 2)

both PC A and B are using CPU Intel + Nvidia GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the last version available (23.2),

And also installed the 22.6.4 but didn´t work either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcos,

Sorry for the weird issue. It seems media related. Which camera shot this footage? Or is it from a streaming device, mobile device, or similar? System info may also help. Thanks for additional info.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, 

I guess the footage was shot with something close to a Sony FX6, but I can´t tell 100%

The Apple sistem info is the next one:

Macbook Pro, M1 Pro, 32GB Ram

It´s a weird issue because for me it seems like premiere is interpreting wrong the media somehow, in the next two pictures I´m attaching you can see the Synced Timeline, where everything was perfectly on time, but in the next picture, when I zoom in, you can see Premiere is displacing the clips randomly either right or left.

Captura de pantalla 2023-04-12 a las 9.44.08.pngCaptura de pantalla 2023-04-12 a las 9.44.23.png

The weird thing is that even when I try to open like the first back up, it´s all desync, wich results in a strange situation because I worked two weeks ago in this project and everything was on sync and working smoothly. 

Hope you can help me Kevin,

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that, Marcos. You'll have to "@" my handle to get my attention as I am watching dozens of posts at any one time. I'm sorry that I don't have a solution for you but you might try the new version of Premiere Pro (23.3), which should be available for most people by now. If not today, then check the Creative Cloud app tomorrow. Run a test and report back, OK? Hope the advice helps. 

BTW, I do not provide one to one tech support over the forums, I'm more of a moderator type here. You can contact our agents here, though. Ask for the "video queue." 

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. On your screenshot I see that you use "mp3" audio. Years ago I face this problem but desync was only couple of frames.

In my case the problem was additional audio-video codec pack that I was install. For example in mp4 or mkv container there is information about audio-video relate sync and if Premiere or plugin not read-understand this there will be desync.

For test:  on PC A convert one mp3 to wav and sync with video file, than open same project on PC B and check if it in sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edited an interview - had to jigsaw a lot of ums and uhs and make a fluid track.

Everything is fine and dandy. Render is looking good for a rough.

Do a little project cleanup - so I have to relink a single audio file - this file is the main cut track for the main interview. So in my timeline its cut many times over the video.

Relinking the source audio, makes every instance of the cut clip play from the beginning - not where its been cut.

E.g: If the clip begins with the words 'What the hell is happening' - every cut of the edit is saying 'What the hell is happening'.

What have I done wrong, anybody experience this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm passing an edit to another editor.
When he opens it, the sequence is messed up, the speed ramps are no more there and the edit is all jumbled.
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.35.28.png
What we tried : relinking on his side, consolidating (the consolidated sequence opened incorrectly also on my computer), "save as" (worked on my side but not sure it will on his, as it's a copy of the original sequence that didn't work on his side.), consolidate and tanscode to Prores (worked on my side, didn't work on his side).
When opening the consolidated version on my side, I see exactly the same thing he sees on his side when opening the original (correct for me) sequence.
I tried making all the footage offline from the "working" project, and then relinking it from another folder (the consolidated one since it was already copied in a new location), and it changed the sequence before my eyes!!!
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.55.10.png
We run the same version of premiere (23.4.0 build 56).
We are sharing the whole folder/assets/projects through Dropbox, downloading them and working from our own individual hard drives. 
The other editor has the rushes, and sent them to me on dropbox, so we're both working on the same assets.
No "interpret footage" has been used, no plugins or external luts. 
We can't move forward with the edit without a fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue at this point. The devs are hopefully working on it.

Please check this thread for a quick workaround until the bug is resolved. And please upvote the bug report (top left corner) so it gets more traction.

In short: Export as XML > Send the XMLs to the editors > Import XMLs, that should fix the issue for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I couldn't find the original post (I'm coming from the Premiere Editors facebook page where this has been discussed yesterday in depth). Fingers crossed for a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 23.3, and I'm seeing this issue. 23.3 does not solve this.

See attached screen shot 23.3.0 - Audio waveforms are identical for each audio edit.

michaelm11605974_0-1684967731168.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michaelm11605974 did you ever open this project in 23.4?  If you open in 23.4 and save, the damage is done and you can't fix it by going back to 23.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have not updated to 23.4 but unsure if the remote editor has done that who passed on the project. Premiere did not ask me to update the project file when I opened it.

Either way I think you need to clarify your post and is appears to suggest opening in 23.3 fixes the issues, which it does not.

If as your saying 23.4 does the damage then only new projects creators make going back to 23.3 will be unaffected as long as they dont update to 23.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

My understanding of @Francis-Crossman's post is that once a project is relinked in 23.4 and saved, "the damage is done and you can't fix it by going back to 23.3."

I understood the workaround to be AVOIDING the relinking and not saving.

23.4 is the same project file version as 23.3, so you won't get a prompt to update the file.

I would consider going back to the remote editor to see if they have a backup copy of the file before they did any relinking in 23.4. One user's workaround was to hook up the original disks to avoid relinking. (He was moving the project to an external disk.)

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BETTER WORKAROUND: Put the media back where it was before it needed relinked, and then open from your auto saves. Everything goes back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair point @Josiah29145786p5qg , putting the media back in the original location is ideal, but there are plenty of situations where this is not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been fixed in Beta as of version 23.6.0 build 02. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a massive problem that has put me in an impossible bind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that update vailable now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Clay5FC4 Yes, the update to public beta is available to download now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate