• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major Timeline Lag when 4K footage is Scaled to 1080p Sequence ('Scale to Frame Size')

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always shoot MP4 files in 4K using Panasonic GH5 cameras. I generally create 1080p sequences and use the 'Scale to Frame Size' command to get the footage to fit.

I create and attach proxies in Low-quality H264 or Medium-quality Prores.

I've been having awful issues with my timeline lagging, but I accidentally discovered it may be 'Scale to Frame Size' that is causing the problem, as I was editing 4k footage in 4k sequences and wasn't getting any issues at all, until I decided to change one of my sequences to 1080p and as soon as I scaled the footage, the timeline began to stick. Is this a bug or a generally known issue?

My system is a HP Omen 17 laptop (2019), Intel core i9 9th gen, 32gb RAM, RTX 2080. Footage is stored on an NvME SSD, project is stored on a separate (internal) SSD.

Thanks

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why one would choose "Scale to ..." over "Set to ..." ... as Scale to Framesize rasterizes the image at the sequence framesize, and any further changes you make are from that rasterized, smaller image, not your original pixels.

That said, we all do things differently.

Have you tried the Set to Framesize option just to see if it works better?

And H264/5 is in general a horrible editing codec, prone to such things, so ... if you used a lo-res say ProRes Proxy or Lt codec instead, does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didnt know that's what 'Scale to' does, I'll be sure to stop using it! I'll try Set to frame size instead. Funny how we get into these habits! I still wonder why the scaled footage seems to slow everything down, is it something to do with the rasterization?

I have been using ProRes for proxies actually, went back to H264 for this project for some reason.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate