• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere not using the video card

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere isn't using the GPU for previewing or rendering videos, it only uses the CPU and RAM, causing me to not be able to preview and sometimes locking the entire computer. When I send the videos to Media Enconder it renders them using the CPU.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your rig, and your GPU? What effects are you using?

Note, Premiere doesn't use a GPU for basic playback, but primarily for processing things on the GPU Accelerated Effects list ... such things that work with either color/tonal ranges or image size. Like Lumetri, Warp Stabilizer, that sort of thing.

If you scroll through this, you get a long list of what effects are "accelerated" using the GPU processor.

GPU Accelerated Effects List

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a CPU i5 11400F 16GB RTX2060.

I never had any playback issues, this problem started happening after I installed a new SSD in my computer. Then I moved all the apps (reinstalled them) to this SSD and the Premiere Pro started to no longer use de GPU. I tried reinstalling it on others SSD, like the one it was before, but nothing helped. It happens with or without any effects, obviously I have more problem when I have effects because that's when I really need the GPU working. Other editing programs are working normally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the apps are not on the system/C drive anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already moved them back to the system/C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install them from the CC app to the system drive, or copy/paste?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Yasmin etc.,

Abridged summary of how the GPU is used:

"Most of the processing is done by CPU. GPU assists in processing certain tasks and features. The GPU is used for GPU accelerated effects [linked by R Neil Haugen], resizes, color space conversions, recoloring and more. It is also used for timeline playback via Mercury Transmit."

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/x-productkb/multi/gpu-acceleration-and-hardware-encoding.html

Note if you are not using Mercury Transmit, not using effects, and not doing resizes etc., then playback (decompressing and displaying a format) is handled by the CPU.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know how it works. I'm having problems and I know it, Adobe is crashing and it could cause problems to my computer because of it. I said that Premire isn't using the GPU because I notice that, but the real problem is that i'm not getting playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate