• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro starts to become really unstable after some edits on the timeline!

Participant ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried many versions of the Premiere from 2022 1.0 to the latest beta, problem is present in all of them!

When i start to edit, everything is fine buttery smooth.

But around 10 min after some cuts, zooms or effects, it just to lag and everything feels slow and heavy. When i try to apply zooms the preview lags a lot and is frustrating editing like that. Then i need to quit and restart premiere and everything is buttery smooth with the same project for around 10 min.

I have cleared cache, plugin cache, reinstalled, changed version to no anvil.

I can edit the same footage on Vegas, DaVinci resolve without this problems.

I have an intel i9 12900k, Nvidia RTX 3080 and 32 GB Ram DDR5, i'm working on 1920 x 1080 h264footage from OBS with two tracks. Windows 11. And a Mac Studio Ultra with MacOS Sonoma (Latest)

Thanks for the help

-Gabriel

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This PROBLEM IS STILL PERSISTENT, and it makes me wanna switch from premiere. It doesn't matter the system. If you have a long footage and you start to apply many cuts and nested bins, it will becomes laggy over time. Expecially on my Mac Studio, it will slow down that it will painful edit. You have to wait 1 o 2 sec for each cut and keyframe operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to reset preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, con la máquina que usas no deberías tener problemas, lo que sugiero es que borres el caché de medios, restaures las preferencias y por último borres los temporales de tu máquina.
Asumo que los drivers de video están actualizados
Saludos cordiales

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried, i have premiere installed on many different system, and all present bugs like that, if you make a lot of cut and have a big project it will start to become really unrensponsive, you can restart the program, and will become fast for around 10 min or less, and then it will start to lag again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are truly running a large project, with over a hundred assets, you should not be using the old "stand-alone' single-project mode. It will bog down because all that informational metadata of everything in the project must be loaded to RAM/cache.

In the newer Production mode, Premiere builds an actual folder structure on disc as you direct it to, and then you create projects within that folder structure using them essentially as you use bins to organize parts of a single project workflow.

So ... a folder sub-tree for assets, with folders which have projects inside them for say Day 1, Day 2, or RED and Arri ... a folder for the project containing your b-roll, another for the audio library ...

Now you can grab any asset from any of the projects of that Production to use on the sequences in your Sequence project. Without duplications or any of the mess that so often occurs when grabbing things from one stand-alone project file to another.

And ... it never bogs the computer down.

This was built for long-form and episodic use. The "hollywood" movies using Premiere do not work stand-alone, but in Productions. I even use it for all my work in my small shop. So my audio library, broll files, all of that is available to all other projects I work on.

Premiere Pro Productions Introduction

Using Productions in Premiere Pro

Adobe Long-form and Episodic Best Practices Guide 

Jarle’s blog expansion of the pdf Multicam section: Premiere Pro Multicam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, interesting, i usually don't reuse assets from previous project, and i don't think i have 100+ assets, i just go heavy on Nesting And Effects / cuts, and as i'm a professional youtuber, i always two tracks for the entire project (premiere doesn't like that) one for cam, and one for tutorial / game. There is no excuses for premiere to lag so much, when Final cut or Davinci handle the same workflow better. Still your solution may improve my experience, so i will give it a try, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, by the time I organized my sound library alone, I've got several hundred assets I can use across projects! Ha.

And for what you do, yea, most of the time it's a very specific set of shots. Very different, as we all are. Diverse by nature.

But I can run several tracks of UHD and/or 1920x1080 media, add mogrts and multicam stuff, and not get the kind of performance hits you're getting. Even within a 'stand-alone' single project.

So ... wondering what's the hassle on your rig ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R Neil Haugen  how long are your projects usually and how many cuts you make? I tend to cut every 20 - 30 frames, and add Zoom for Facecam, for the upper track. Both of my tracks are nested in different tracks with crop and or zoom. If the recording is under 25 min premiere usually don't lag, but if i have made a recording 40+ min long, it will start to become really unstable after 10 min of cuts.

I have a theory (but seems really odd) that this might be due to a plugin I frequently use to speed up my workflow, called Excalibur. It's been a real time-saver for me. I'm not sure if you use it, but if you get a chance, could you try it out and see if you encounter the same issues? Lag is present on all my system: Mac Ultra and PC windows.

Here's a link to a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvlgHy5TQx8.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not that different from yours. I can have a 3 cam multi cam, 2-3 other video tracks, and 2-3 tracks of graphics. Run time anything from 3 minutes to 45 minotes.

Some BRAW, some general mov, a track of H 264/5, a couple tracks of added audio.

3960x Ryzen 32 core, 128GB of RAM, 2080TI. Four monitors. System and all cache on separate Nvme drives, most media on internal SSDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate