• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro STILL has the audio pop bug from imported .mp4 remuxxed OBS .mkv files!!!!!

Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro STILL has the audio pop bug from imported .mp4 remuxxed OBS .mkv files!!!!! How is this still a thing? This has existed for years!! I've created another bug report in the past, and have mentioned it to Adobe directly via Twitter several times.

I'm tired of importing screen recordings from OBS and then the audio POPS at random places. I have confirmed it is PREMIERE causing it because if I close Premiere and open it up again, the pop sound goes away, then as I use Premiere, it will show up again in a new spot.

The issue wouldn't be so bad if Premiere didn't export the pop!!! If it exists during timeline playback, then it will render into the final export!!! It's something to do with audio cache files with Adobe. If it happens, I can even send it to Adobe Audition and see the pop in the waveform there, select it a heal it to remove it, then it goes away. Or if I simply tab out of Premiere and don't use it for a few minutes, if I tab back it, the pop will fix itself!!! Extremely frustrating because it's inconsistent.

I'm on Mac OS 13.6.3, but it also happened on Mac OS 12. I've used several versions of OBS as well. For some reason, Premiere doesn't like .mp4 files from OBS that were remuxxed from .mkv files. Not sure if this has to do with Premiere deciding to remove support of .mkv files and there's a bug happening somehow, but when they removed support of .mkv files, I was FORCED to remux files to .mp4 to edit my screen recordings! So in either scenario, the Adobe team created this problem for no reason. There's a giant thread with over a dozen pages of comments on this forum regarding bringing back .mkv support. It makes absolutely no sense why Adobe would even remove it in the first place!!! Media encoder can't even import the file!! It's a joke. The point of media encoder is to ENCODE MEDIA!! but it can't!!

Anyway, it's extremely frustrating that in the latest version of Premiere, this is STILL happening. Everything version of Premiere in the last 3-4 years has had this issue. FIX IT. Im sick of paying for a product that doesn't work, or at least stop taking away features like .mkv support that worked just fine.

Whoever is making these decisions at Adobe should not be in charge. These decisions are making the lives of paying customers WORSE

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability , Sound , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't make mkv files, you won't have the issue. I've used OBS for years, never had a problem ever. Never made mkv files in OBS though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem here is with the way OBS rewraps things into MP4. Premiere Pro, as well as some other NLE programs, always get tripped up with OBS' MP4 container format regardless of whether you use MP4 to record or remux the video into.

Even worse, OBS' MP4 remuxer will always automatically use VFR (Variable Frame Rate) even on video that's been recorded with CFR (Constant Frame Rate) to begin with! That will cause edited videos to go way out of sync between the video and the audio tracks!

As a result, I would recommend using third-party software to transcode your video instead of relying solely on OBS' remuxer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just have OBS set to record QuickTime/mov and AAC by default. Never have a problem with a recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is an OBS crash after recording for a while, with .mkv files the file will still be saved up until the crash. With .mp4 files, you lose the entire recording if it crashes. This is why so many people use .mkv and why so many people want .mkv support back in Premiere Pro.

I just checked and it says .mp4 AND .mov will be unrecoverable if there's a crash. So this is not a solution. You haven't had any crashes? or are you getting around this with entering some sort of custom remux settings? Unfortunately, I've had 30minute plus recordings crash and lose the entire thing and have to redo it all.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 3.32.34 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's certaintly the case with remuxing the file with OBS, however, the problem still lies with Premiere removing support of .mkv files.

Needing to rely on third party software is ridiculous. What is the point of Media Encoder then? What is the point of paying several hundreds of dollars every year for what's suppose to be the best suite of video editing tools if it can't even help me encode a video file to something that Premiere Pro can use? Why are we spending time converting files because of Adobe removing support? .mkv videos worked perfect 4 years ago. No muxxing required. no converting required.

I've never had a problem with .OBS recordings up until Adobe choosing to remove support of .mkv which made my editing workflow significantly worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, if you've had crashes, that's a bummer!

I've just never had one. And I've recorded at times for an hour or more to cut up pieces on editing.

It does get frustrating when you can't use certain codecs. And all of the major apps have 'missing' codecs in places. You can for instance export in ProRes in Windows with Premiere, but you can't with Resolve. No ProRes exports in Resolve for PCs. ProRes RAW in Premiere (mostly) ... not at all in Resolve. I've not tried mkv files in Resolve as I don't really do anything with it.

But yea, it's not as good as we users would appreciate ... ahem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well we are now comparing free software to a yearly subscription that's in the hundreds of dollars. That being said, Davinci Resolve does support .mkv files natively and has since version 17. Seems like Premiere is going backwards.

As for Prores support, you can use the ffmpeg workaround to get the export in Resolve on Windows. For the cost of Davinci (free), I'm ok with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Define "free".

Resolve started at what, something like $250,000/seat?

After BlackMagic bought it, they turned it into a loss-leader to sell hardware. Period. And I don't know any serious user working the 'free' version. All those I know are like me, running the Studio. Which was 'paid' for with purchases of BM kit, and I've got a couple extra licenses in a drawer.

So I don't see any "free!" to it, in any way shape or form. Different profit model, but the clients still pay for the software.

And fwiw, some QC systems don't accept the ffmpeg ProRes ... I've known enough folks hit that to know it does happen. Which is dang annoying.

So both software are professional, neither is actually "free", and both have their limitations. Among other things, BlackMagic does not allow anyone else's hardware to fully map to working in Resolve. So my Tangent Elements panel, a truly stunning do-everything device in Premiere, is ... a slightly used thing in Resolve.

By intent. Bluntly by intent, publicly stated on their forums.

Thankfully, the Tangent folks have their new "Warp engine" stuff so we can now use either the BlackMagic mapping or tap over to user-created mappings, though only a few more tools are usable. But it's something.

In Premiere, I can use that panel for audio track mixing, sizing/rotation/position of any screen elements, all sorts of things. And do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 10s of thousands of people, if not more using the non-studio version, which they paid $0 for. That sounds like free to me. My point though was that .mkv works in Resolve, and not in Premiere, or even Media Encoder. Adobe has not a single program that I can use to play, edit or convert .mkv files, which is a file type that thousands upon thousands of people use all over the world. Not being able to even convert it in Media Encoder is wild.

Anyway, OBS now allows 'Fragmented .mp4' which will skip the need to remux. I'm hoping Premiere likes a non-remuxed file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere doesn't do mkv, Resolve doesn't do ProRes RAW. Yep, they all have holes in their coverage.

Votes

Translate

Translate