Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PREMIERE PRO VERY SLOW ON M1 MACBOOK

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I already posted my problem nearly 1 year ago. I have a 16" MacBook Pro with a fully loaded M1 MAX processor, and 32GB of RAM. I am currently using Premiere pro 23.1.0 (build 86), on Ventura 13.2.

I work 90% of the time with an external display connected to my MacBook (LG UltraFine 27UL650-W) with a USBC-HDMI cable. So I work with two monitors.

My problem is that Premiere Pro is very very slow when editing, and it's not about playing the preview, but scrolling the timeline, moving clips on the timeline, moving a clip from one sequence to another... The UX is absolutely horrible, it feels like editing on an old PC with 1GB of RAM... I edit with low resolution proxies, and again: previewing is not the problem. I made a short screen recording to show you the problem. You can see that my mouse is smooth but when I interact with the software everything drops to 2-4fps... 

When I unplug my external monitor, and restart PP, everything is fine, no problem, or less.

I don't know if the problem comes from Apple or Adobe, but in any case I'm pissed to see that a 4.000€ computer can't even run a software normally...

If you have any solutions for this, it would be awesome!

Thx
Clément - User FR

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--- EDIT ---
Unlike what I said in my post, working only with my MacBook's built-in display (no external display connected) isn't much better. When I did the experiment, I tried to edit for 5-10 minutes and I had no problem, but in reality the slowdowns occur only after 15-20 min on PP. The only way to solve this problem is to quit and restart the software, every 20 minutes, when it starts to slow down...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just searched to see if this problem still exists as others have noted the problem and found your post. 23.1 gave me terrible performance issues on my 2017 iMacPro so I've since reinstalled 23.0. You say it's been going on for a year, and this release is not that old, so it may not help, but it has made a huge difference for me. 23.1 was unusable. Recommend trying that and keeping fingers crossed that a 23.2 release fixes the issue soon.You'll still be able to open newer projects. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually just found another thread that talks about the 23.2 beta release. Looks like it is available if you want to try it:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/major-lag-on-timeline-with-premiere-pro-v-23-1-maco...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue and can't find a solution in sight. any luck? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came to this thread with the same issues, and just decided to not run the Apple Silicon Version, but instead run the "intel" version. Night and day difference on performance, at least for me. You can access this through the Adobe Creative Cloud application, go to the "Apps" tap on top, and then scroll down to Premiere Pro. Click the 3 dots next to the button that says "Open" and instead choose "Open (intel)".

Hope this helps.Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 11.50.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how buggy a M1 Mac is : See video - This happens with the last 2 updates and the latest beta version. 

As you can see a simple text box is causing massive slowdowns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to work better for me too by running it with the intel version !!!

I hope this will be fixed soon on the Apple sillicon version.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue occurre ver.23.1 only and same issue on Intel MAC.

up or down your premiere version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.2 seems the most stable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.2 seems the most stable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem with my M1 Macbook Pro. I'm not using Premiere, but I'm using Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign. After a while of using these apps, my whole computer slows down. The Mac UI system animations get very choppy and I have to restart. I'm using a new 27 inch Dell 4K monitor. I only started to notice the issue when I got the 4k monitor. The issue doesn't go away even after closing all my apps, I need to restart the computer, so I think it's both an Apple issue and an Adobe issue.

See my video: https://youtu.be/gDuDFxTiCjU?si=6MkZnvFldjRtuh9y

I'm pissed about this as well. I've wasted so much time trying to figure this out. How can such "powerful" computers run so slow??

I'm running the latest OS software (Ventura 13.5.2) and latest Adobe software.

I haven't updated to Sonoma yet, but I'm curious to know if it will be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. It's impossible to work in a professional flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue but mine was not a problem from the start, it literally started happening all of a sudden. choppy playback even after rendering. macbook pro m1 8GB RAM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate