Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere unresponsive.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

I have been using Premiere pro for approx 8 months now with no issues up until about a month ago.

Starting approx a month ago, premiere pro seems to have bit of a fit when I am editing and makes my PC become totally unresponsive, so much so that I am having to turn the PC off at the plug to get it to shut down. Nothing software wise nor hardware wise has been changed, all drivers and adobe programs are up to date and I have virus checked my PC.

Has anyone come across this and have any suggestions in how to fix it?

I have tried all the suggestions I have come across so far, these include, driver updates, software updates, turning rendering to mercury software only, cleaning the media cache, starting a brand new project, ensuring there are no other ram or GPU intensive programs running etc.

Please help as I have no idea how to fix this issue and I am beginning to worry that turning my PC off directly at the plug is going to cause it some damage if I keep repeating this.

Computer specs are AMD 5900x, GTX 3070, 32 gb RAM (4000mhz), NVME, SSD, Hard drive (only for footage)

Thank you

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds very frustrating, so let's see what we can do to isolate a cause for it. I have some questions for you to get us headed in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed it is, as all I want to do is get on and make some videos using the software that I am paying a lot of money for. 

This is happening so far on every version from 23.0 onwards. I have just successfully made a video using 22.0 but that version feels old and outdated so would like to get the latest ones working. 

It is happening on all projects, old or brand new. A few of the project sizes that I have tried and have all had the same problems, 107kb, 123kb, 111kb. 

Project does not become slow or slugging or unresponsive. To the best of my knowledge and testing so far, it seems to have something to do with text and text boxes. It will sometimes let me write in the text box and then crash my PC on playback, sometimes it will just crash my pc as soon as I touch the text box, sometimes it will crash my pc when I scrub the time line and touch the text portion. 

24gb of RAM available in task manager.

Happy to try anything but the app isn't hanging, the whole PC just goes blank, no cursor, no way to turn it off other than at the plug. Have tried waiting some time and still the same, tried ctrl+alt+del to wake it up which does not work, even tried powering off using the power button on the front of the pc, both by pressing it as normal plus by holding it down for a few seconds, nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So can you confirm that at this time you are seeing it on Pr 23.5 x 056?
What version of Windows is this happening on?

Since the whole OS is freezing and going blank, and since there is no way to capture Pr hang details, it might be best to focus on getting that system cleaned up. Have you considered moving important data off to an external source for a time and then running Windows Restore tools or perhaps even re-installing the OS? I know that doesn't sound like fun at all, but OS's tend to get very dirty over time and it only takes one file from one utility to make other apps, including but not limited to Pr, unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing it on every version above 22.0 unfortunately. Windows 10 here. Half tempted to go into Windows 11 and see if that solves it?

Just weird this seems to be the only thing making my PC do this. Everything else runs absolutely fine? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoffeeFuelledGaming re: "Just weird this seems to be the only thing making my PC do this. Everything else runs absolutely fine?"

I agree, but Pr is very resource intensive and depends on a lot of other things on the OS to run well. I normally don't like to suggest drastic measures like an OS restore or re-install, but since you're unable to even get to task manager for a dump file, there's really nothing else I can do to identify what exactly is causing the problem for Pr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've installed windows 11 this morning, but do you think this could be caused by a filing HDD which isn't my OS drive nor where Pr is installed but does have all of my footage stored on. There was a strange clicking sound coming from inside my PC this morning which I've not noticed before, with all other drives being SSDs and the fans seem to be nice and clear. 

I'm just waiting for a new HDD to arrive now and hopefully this was the issue all along!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now totally out of options. I have literally tried absolutely everything with this and have spent almost 30 hours searching for reasons why this is happening. I am going to have to switch over to DaVinci because there are no answers as to why this is happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoffeeFuelledGaming I have no way of knowing for sure if drive type or speed has anything to do with this, but it sounds like the problem was with the app and the project itself... and maybe things like text layers? That does not sound like a slow drive bogging down your media playback. It sounds like Pr having problems with some system resources somewhere. The only way to diagnose that sort of thing is to get a crash report and/or dmp file to hopefully spot a breakage. But you said the whole system freezes and gives you know way to capture that sort of information.

If you have any way to try things on a different system it would be good to know how that goes. Also, please drop a comment here when you can and let us know if things work better for you in a different environment, including trying a different app (like Resolve) on that system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi mate, so turns out problem occurs on resolve. I'm led to believe the problem now may be my cmos battery, or mobo in general or psu. Waiting delivery of new mobo and psu right now so I'm hoping this resolves it

Votes

Translate

Translate