• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selected PP LUTs differ between PC with/without custom LUTs

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PP has it's own LUT library. The default input dropdown in Lumetri can be extended by adding LUTs to "...Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical". The whole list is sorted alphabetically including the custom LUTs. In my case the existing LUTs were pushed down by 4 additonal items.

Now if you select something from Premiere's presets like "Alexa_Default_Log2REC709" and open the project on a pc without the added custom LUTs, it will now show "ARRI_Universal_DCI" with the wrong colors applied. Why? Because the ARRI LUT is 4 entries down from the Alexa LUT and the list is missing the 4 custom LUTs from the top.

This does not happen when selecting a custom LUT from the list. Those apparently are saved in the project file, I think?

Thankfully the list of built-in LUTs is short, but this still leads to frustrating guess work if you notice the wrong LUT. I haven't tested this on creative LUTs in Lumetri though.

Win 11, Ryzen 5900x, 128 GB RAM, 3070

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Hello @huyt63327659,

Thanks for writing in. I feel that your LUTs might be misplaced. See this article for an explanation.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @huyt63327659,

Thanks for writing in. I feel that your LUTs might be misplaced. See this article for an explanation.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is not addressing the problem. It's about how Premiere populates the LUT menu list and what it does when the list differs between machines, even though the same LUT is available on both. But Premiere chooses to go by relative position in the menu instead of LUT name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users should NOT ... EVER!!!!!! ... do anything to add or remove LUTs from Premiere's own LUT storage folders! Period!

1.  Those folders are sorted in computer alpha-numeric fashion, but the programs reference them by their RELATIVE location in the sorted folder, not by their name. So it will use "the fifth LUT down" not "AlphaBlue2". Any change then made in adding or deleting LUTs thus messes up any other LUT usage from that folder.
  2. The three apps, Premiere Pro, AfterEffects, and MediaEncoder all have their own set of those folders. They all expect their set to perfectly match the other apps, and if Premiere is using the fifth LUT down, and you send to Ae or Me, that app will also reference (use) the fifth LUT down, but from its own folder tree. Meaning you won't get the same LUT applied.
  3. They have two different folder trees users can use to park their own LUTs. These locations are scanned by all three apps,  the LUTs show up where expected in the variious dropdown lists, and they don't mess up any LUT usage before or after being added.

So use the correct LUT locations. They have a chart in their Help system for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this an incredible stupid way to do this by Adobe? Relative positiosn should never be considered for menu items that can be changed by users. Would be total madness if they did the same thing for export presets for example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the comment, @huyt63327659!
A feature request has been filed for this (please upvote), and the team is actively looking to make the installation and handling of LUTs much more straightforward. I will have to ask for your patience in the meantime. Help is on the way, though, I assure you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's weird at first. But what many do especially at first is wrong. And I do see why the devs don't want users messing with the Program/Package folder area anyway.

Simply put your LUTS where the devs expect user LUTs to be and it all works just fine. They appear in the correct lists across all three applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've put the LUTs the correct folders otherwise Premiere wouldn't even be able to incorporate them in the LUT menu. It's about how Premiere will not choose the correct one if the number of custom LUTs differs between machines even though the right one is available on both machines. And it seems like they are working on that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which location are you using? The User folder location, or the Adobe/Common location?

If you have them in the Program/Package folders they don't work correctly.

If you have them in EITHER of the correct locations, they will properly be sorted and used in the appropriate dropdown list across all three apps.

What you're describing is the expected behavior when putting them in the wrong location for user LUTs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the chart with the appropriate user locations for adding LUTs. You normally need to add the subfolders to the chosen location. That it,  the Technical (Basic tab Input LUT slot), Creative (Creative tab), and Input (for color management "Input LUT" use)  folders ... I don't know why.

RNeilHaugen_0-1710796115564.png

Either folder-tree works, I've used the Program Files/Adobe/Common/LUTs folder tree myself for years. No problems whatsoever.

My LUTs appear in the right dropdown lists. They are clearly used by all three apps, Pr, Ae, and Me.

It works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's were they are and of course it works for ME. But I'm talking about sharing a project with someone ELSE not working on the same machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahh ... that does require that they also put the LUTs in the same location on their machine. And yea, that's a pain. But then, it is with any 'outside' things used in this type of work also.

Over the years, I've talked with a lot of folks at NAB or MAX or online about trying to keep a team working together, and this is an issue. Along with mogrt things.

Mogrts you can often mostly sort by using shared libraries to deploy graphics across a group. Sadly, you can't apply LUTs from shared Libraries. They have to be parked in the exact same folder across the team, and that can be ... daunting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines