• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Severe Lag / Very Poor Performance With Premiere Pro on High-Spec Machine

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am experiencing lag in Adobe Premiere Pro 24 that is so severe, I am unable to complete even the most basic of editing tasks. Video playback from either sequences or in the Source panel is roughly 1fps or worse. Playback takes up to 60 seconds to start, if it starts at all. I am on deadline, so I have been forced to look at my raw video in VLC, guess where to add in and out points based on timecodes, render my sequence in Media Encoder, view the finished file, then go back and make changes while essentially flying blind.

I have tried the usual suggestions: close all other applications; change GPU acceleration (I've tried both on and off); delete media cache; disable plugins. Nothing has helped.

Here is my setup:

Version - Adobe Premiere Pro 24.2.1

OS - Windows 11 Home 23H2 / build 22631.3235

PC: Dell XPS 15 laptop (on an externally-powered cooling pad)

CPU: Intel i7-12700H @ 2.3 GHz

GPU 1: Intel Iris Xe (integrated, driver is up-to-date, version 31.0.101.4953)

GPU 2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti (driver is up-to-date, version 31.0.15.4609)

RAM: 64GB (max allotted to Premiere Pro, 58GB)

Source footage - H.264 MP4, 29.97 FPS, mix of 2160p and 1080p, all footage on an internal SSD (1TB) with 100GB of free space

Error messages - none

Mercury Playback Engine enabled, doesn't matter if it's hardware or software only (I've tried both)

I am using proxy for all clips, set to the lowest possible resolution.

Here are two very short videos to show what I am experiencing:

I have used Premiere Pro on this machine previously without severe problems like this.

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide!

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Bruce, your quesitons got me to our first major breakthrough. When I switched my Workspace to All Panels in a single monitor, using only the Program monitor, this resolved the issue. So, I at least have a work-around, and we are much closer to diagnosing the issue.

This brought to mind that I typically have my panels spread across four monitors, all of which have differing native resolutions:

- Laptop display @ 2160p

- Two Dell UHD monitors @ 1440p

- One old HP monitor @ 900p

I use the HP monitor f

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Sounds awful. 

I have used Premiere Pro on this machine previously without severe problems like this.

What about the system configuration has changed, since Premiere Pro last performed well on it? [OS updates, driver updates...anything.]

What version of PPro last ran well, on this system?

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Glad you're unblocked!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds awful. 

What about the system configuration has changed, since Premiere Pro last performed well on it? [OS updates, driver updates...anything.]

What version of PPro last ran well, on this system?

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the rapid reply. I had not done any major editing in a few months, so I'm unsure what changes to the OS or Premire Pro have happened since then. I considered rolling back to v 23, but I wanted to see if the community had anything to offer first. I am already using some of the new features in 24 (better transcription, AI audio enhancement) and I would hate to give that up or risk breaking the project file, if that makes sense. Of course, I'll roll back to 23 if that is the best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your proxies also H.264?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm using QuickTime ProRes, rendered at 480p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If 1. deadlines are looming, and 2. PPro 23.x works great on the same system where 24.x crawls, then yes, rolling back until you've completed the deadline work sounds appropriate. 🙂 [Happily, different major versions of PPro can coexist on the same system.] After that, the answers to these diagnostic questions would be useful. 

Confirming: You're seeing similar performance for all timelines/projects, not just this one, right? 

Do the performance issues go away, if you:

• switch to one monitor? 
  • If you have any Transmit devices enabled...do the performance issues go away, if you turn off transmit?
  • Do the performance problems go away, if you disable the .mogrts / text layers in your sequence? 

Look carefully at your multi-monitor setup: Do you have any PPro windows that span monitors? In the past, this has been reported to cause slowness. 

In your video, it's striking that the slowness is program monitor only, and that the Source monitor and text panel seem to chug along just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce, your quesitons got me to our first major breakthrough. When I switched my Workspace to All Panels in a single monitor, using only the Program monitor, this resolved the issue. So, I at least have a work-around, and we are much closer to diagnosing the issue.

This brought to mind that I typically have my panels spread across four monitors, all of which have differing native resolutions:

- Laptop display @ 2160p

- Two Dell UHD monitors @ 1440p

- One old HP monitor @ 900p

I use the HP monitor for things like my Lumetri Color and sound panels.

Could the issue be related to Premiere Pro getting confused by the multiple display resolutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Could the issue be related to Premiere Pro getting confused by the multiple display resolutions?

It's possible, but I hesitate to speculate; Instead, I've asked Support to reach out, with display-related troubleshooting suggestions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you're unblocked!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @James Jackson TX,

Thanks for the post, and glad you are back on track.

I suspect you might have slightly overlapping panels in your custom layout. If panels overlap, you can experience severe playback issues similar to what you have shown us. In a custom workspace spanning multiple monitors, I recommend carefully rearranging the panels to ensure that panels are not overlapping or interfering with each other (maybe leave a little space near the edge of the monitors to test). If panels overlap even by a single pixel, it can cause such disruptions. That could be why resetting the workspace into a single monitor helped your issue.

The other potential issue could be related to your NVIDIA GPU. People have been reporting trouble with the latest driver, so if you've experienced anomalies since then, that could also be an issue. Rolling back to a previous version can work.

If you believe you are experiencing unexpected behavior related to the GPU driver, we suggest you reinstall the previous driver. Specifically, install the Studio driver, version 551.23. You can find this via:

1. Nvidia.com

2. Select Drivers from the top menu bar.

3. Click the Beta and Older Drivers link.

4. From the "Recommended / Beta" popup menu, choose Studio Driver

5. Choose your Nvidia product, operating system, and language. 

After clicking Search, download and install version 551.23. 

Try these things and report back. I am sorry for the frustration here. I hope we can help you.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate