• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape Layer - Missing handles / Unresponsive

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been going on in several versions including V23.2.0 (Build 69). Whenever I create a new shape layer in the timeline, say a rectangle, the handles would appear and then disappear. Immediately clicking out of that layer and back in will not make the handles appear. You will need to move the playhead further down the timeline in order for the handles to reappear. But that wouldn't be the "in" point you want the shape to be in, so you move the playhead again.

Top screenshot shows a rectangle shape layer with no fill. Playhead is at the beginning of the shape layer, but the handles for the shape are not appearing EVEN if the shape layer has been selected.

Second screenshot shows the playhead has been moved further into the rectangle shape layer in order for the handles to now appear. But that isn't the "in" point where I would make the shape adjustment so I have to move the playhead back to where it originally was.

Please fix to make the handles appear once the shape layer has been selected. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. You have to "play" around with it to make it appear.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 8.41.11 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-31 at 8.42.35 AM.png

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
14 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all designed to be controlled from the Essential Graphics Panel (EGP). So you really should either be in the Graphics workspace to do graphics, or add the EGP to your workspace.

Then select the parts you work on from the EGP layer stack, and what you want done to them in the options that appear below.

Working graphics without the controls 'up' is a bit ... slow.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the attempt to assist. I always have the Essential Graphics panel and every other panel on hand. If you take a look at my expanded screenshot, the EG panel is open, the shape is selected there. In the timeline, the shape layer is also selected, but the handles do not appear.

It's a bug that never was an issue in previous versions.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 9.25.21 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also to add clarify, I'm not trying to align the shape. I need to "reshape" it and will need the handles to do that which do not appear until you jiggle with the playhead along the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems odd ... when I go over the shape, if I click in the shape, the handles appear. Apparently they don't for you?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need the selection tool to adjust the shape.

Probably still have the rectangle tool selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They will appear when you first create the shape, but as soon as you click away and do something else it will disappear and not come back despite having clicked on the shape layer in both the timeline and Essential Graphics panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ann Bens yes of course the Selection Tool is selected. There's no other tool to select anyway when moving about the shape. I'm a seasoned user of Premiere Pro, AE, and Illustrator. These actions are second nature to me. Here's yet another expanded screenshot to show the selections in case there are any doubts.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 10.40.07 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if I move the playhead just a little bit forward along the timeline...PRESTO! The handles will appear again.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 10.43.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot reproduce.

Reset preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ann Bens are you on a Mac or Windows? I'm guessing this might be a Mac OS issue, as it's happening to both my Mac Pro 2019 desktop and PowerBook Pro 16" 2022 laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W11 and 2023.2 and beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That explains why you do not experience the same behaviour. Most likely a Mac OS Ventura issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm PC also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,