• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sidecar Captions Add Media Extension to File Name

Participant ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I export a video with a sidecar caption file, the CC file automatically adds the media extension to the name (ex. Filename01.mp4.srt or Filename02.mp3.srt).

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're exporting just the captions which will probably require the extension to be recognized as a srt file...   Unless I'm misunderstanding your post.  If you export the media as a quicktime or other video file (h264 or whatever) and then bring it into youtube or vimeo or into a dvd authoring program, you'll be able to also import the srt file so that on youtube for example, the viewer can turn the captions/subtitles on or off.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. I think it is by design and not a bug. This only happens when exporting srt with media export. If you export srt from the Text panel/captions tab 3 dot menu or from File -> Export -> Captions, it names it [Sequence name].srt.

This was true in PR 2020 (the version before the new workflow.

Michael, he's only talking about the addition of mp4 etc into the srt filename.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's the best workaround I've heard, but about the same extra effort as renaming the file afterwards.

I work in high-volume where videos are being deployed via systems that require root names be identical. I realize that for Youtube, etc., the srt name doesn't even have to match the video name at all.

We normally farm out captioning but more and more I'm asked to modify or fix captions in-house, and it'd just be nice to set it and forget it with batch exports and not have to batch rename the srts afterwards. I realize this is such an insignificant issue but the more I do it, the more annoying it becomes, as small, insignificant things tend to become when you work in volume.

Votes

Translate

Translate