• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sony A7s3 HEVC Video's Audio in Premiere Pro is out of Sync with Footage, but not H.264 Proxies

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we record our footage on a Sony A7s3 in the 4k HEVC 10-Bit. Whenever we import the footage into Premiere Pro, the audio is out of sync with the footage by about 1 frame. We noticed this because we also use the H.264 proxies recorded by the camera. When we toggle the proxies, the footage stays in the same spot, however the audio waveform shift by about 1 frame. The thing is the proxy's (h.264) waveform is correctly synced with the video, but the original media's waveform is not. 

I did a test by recording  H.264 on our Sony A7s3, and that footage was synced correctly when we imported it into premiere pro, so it seems it is only an issue with the HEVC Codec.

I importat the HEVC files into DaVinci resolve, and they are correctly synced there. So it seems to also be any issue in premiere pro.

Right now our solution is just to manually sync the video to our external audio recorder's audio file.

We'd like to continuing editing in premiere because our workflows are based around it, but this issues causes alot of errors and slows us downl. Does anybody have recommendations on if this issue is common, and/or if it can be fixed?

Premiere Pro Version 23.0.0

Computer Specs attached

Bug Started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Hi Wesley, 

Thanks very much for the detailed description of the issue; very helpful. I'm going to send you an email to get some more information. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Hi all, 

My apologies for the long delay in getting back to people in the thread on this issue. I wanted to let you know that a fix for this problem is currently in the beta release of Premiere Pro. Beta versions of our apps are available in the Creative Cloud Desktop app, in the Beta apps section. 

We'd appreciate your feedback to ensure that the fix we have in the beta works for you. The final release of this fix will come later this year. 

Thanks,

Fergus

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
11 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wesley,

Sorry. I would download the freeware Media Info and inspect the contents of these files in the tree view. If possible, can you post the results here? May we also see your Sequence Settings? Perhaps the audio sample rate is not matching in one of those areas. I'd need to see it to make a judgment.

Even if sample rates match, audio from long GOP formats is not very reliable in the frame accuracy realm, I'm afraid. It's often a problem. I recommend using ProRes Proxy proxies generated inside Premiere Pro instead of camera-generated proxies for a more reliable workflow. 

If you wish to continue working with proxies, you may want to test this. An alternative is to transcode straight away to a 10-bit editing codec like ProRes and edit natively with those. 

I hope we can help find an acceptable solution.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan 

Thanks for the response Kevin. Below are the tree view report of the XAVC HS (h.265) footage for the sony As7s3.

Also, I ran another test to show off the sync issue and narrowed down the sync issue to be specifically with the sony H.265 footage in Premiere Pro, because the H.264 footage was in sync, and the H.265 footage was in sync when imported into Davinci Resolve. I also tried this on my Windows PC, and my Mac Laptop, so I don't think its a computer specific issue.

I'm surprised I haven't been able to find any other threads because its seems like the Sony A7s3 and Premiere Pro would be a popular combination. 

Premiere Pro Sony A7s3 XAVC HS footage, internally recorded h.264 proxy disabled (out of sync by 2 frames)

Premiere Pro XAVC HS Proxy Disabled (out of sync by 2 frames).png

Premiere Pro Sony A7s3 XAVC HS footage, internally recoded h.264 proxy enabled (in sync)

Note that I actually moved the play head for this screenshot. The audio shifted, not the video

Premiere Pro XAVC HS H.264 Proxy Enabled (in sync).png

Premiere Pro Sony A7s3 XAVC HS footage, recorded without proxy (out of sync by 2 frames)

Premiere Pro XAVC HS Recorded without proxy (out of sync by 2 frames).png

Premiere Pro Sony XAVC S (h.264) (footage in sync)

Premiere Pro XAVC S (footage in sync).png

Davinci Resolve XAVS HS (in sync)

Davinci Resolve XAVS HS (in sync).png

Premiere Pro Sequence Settings  

Premiere Pro Sequnce Settings.png

Media Info Tree View

MediaInfoFootageTree.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for doing all the screenshots. MediaInfo shows that the audio and video streams have different durations. Do you suppose that could be the issue? Let me know. 

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan 

Unfortunately I don't think that's the issue because the the H.264 clips that are in sync have their video and audio in Media Info off by about 3-5 ms as well. And other editing programs seem to have both H.264 and H.265 footage in sync.

I just tested importing the footage into Final Cut Pro X and the H.265 footage is in sync there, which is why is why I think it something specific to the way Premiere Pro is reading the footage.

Final Cut Pro H.265 Footage in Sync.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the message. The information and screenshots are helpful for the devs (I am not on the Premiere Pro team directly).

...the H.264 clips that are in sync have their video and audio in Media Info off by about 3-5 ms as well. other editing programs seem to have both H.264 and H.265 footage in sync.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for letting me know.

...other editing programs seem to have both H.264 and H.265 footage in sync.

I just tested importing the footage into Final Cut Pro X and the H.265 footage is in sync there.

Thanks, the devs will appreciate those findings. Other NLEs and Premiere Pro are not always aligned in how long GOP footage is interpreted or handled. Check out this bug report; It leaves me curious about what's going on in those labs. 

Let me get the team's eyeballs on this thread. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wesley, 

Thanks very much for the detailed description of the issue; very helpful. I'm going to send you an email to get some more information. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fergus H 

Great, thanks for looking into this Fergus!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have same problem with editing Sony FX3 files.
I want to make proxy files and editing with them, but I can't make proxy with Media Encoder, because it doesn't support mov with h264 codec.
So I must make with different program and there is the problem. When I convert-make proxy, audio in resulting file is with 1-2 frame delay.So when I finish editing and watch with original file I was very surprise that audio cuts and keyframe is not in the right place and some parts of word are cut.
I have PC and MAC and the problem is on both system.
Software for proxy that I try on MAC is: Final Cut, Resolve, Shutter encoder
Software for proxy that I try on PC is: Edius, Resolve, Shutter encoder

Then I start to compare audio waveform of Source-Original(not proxy) video file on every program, and then I see that on Final Cut, Resolve, Edius audio is in the same position except in Premiere pro, where is with 1-2 frame desync. In the screenshot in Premiere you can see audio waveform on Track 1 is "ahead" and cut from beginning, compare to all other tracks.

I check different version of Premiere v23.3 and v15.4.5 on PC and MAC and it is the same.
I think the problem is how Adobe implement Sony XAVC decoding.

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 18.05.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

My apologies for the long delay in getting back to people in the thread on this issue. I wanted to let you know that a fix for this problem is currently in the beta release of Premiere Pro. Beta versions of our apps are available in the Creative Cloud Desktop app, in the Beta apps section. 

We'd appreciate your feedback to ensure that the fix we have in the beta works for you. The final release of this fix will come later this year. 

Thanks,

Fergus

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update @Fergus H ! We'll download the the beta and let you know if we have any feedback. Thanks to you and your team for fixing this bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Fergus,

Just updated to Premiere Pro 24.0 (Main release) and we are still experiencing the same issue. 2 Frame delay in XAVC HS (h.265). Has the bug been fixed in the main release? Or still only in beta?

Votes

Translate

Translate