• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When editing Caption Transcript, the box is smaller than the text, so the last line is cut off

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is more of an annoyance than anything. However, I suspect that this would be a really easy fix on your end.

So go to Window -> Workspaces -> Captions and Graphics. Find the Text window, and the Transcript section of that window. If you don't have a transcript, generate one. 

You can now double any word in the transcript to switch to editing mode and make changes to your captions. However, when you do this, the text (or the spacing) seems to get slightly larger, and as a consequence, the text in the editing field gets cut off at the bottom. If you then try to click on that area of text (for example, to add punctuation, or simply to find your cursor), if you click too low, you exit the editing mode and return to transcript mode. If you DON'T click too low, the box doesn't actually adjust, so you still can't see half the text on that line. The only way to view the text properly is to click somewhere on the line above and use the arrow key to navigate down to that line.

Please make the box expand larger by default to actually account for the larger text and spacing that exists in editing mode. Or make editing mode's text/spacing the same size as transcript mode. Either way, just make the text fit in the box! Thanks!

Chas3092334856j6_0-1688661214998.png

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to also add that, if you press Enter to start a new line within that text field, the field also does not re-size, so now you can't see the bottom line of text at all.

Please make it so the text field expands to match the text that it contains. Or at least wrap it in a ScrollPane so we can use the mouse wheel to reach the end of the text. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Chas3092334856j6,

I see what you mean, and I agree that the box should always show all of the beginning text.  And it is desireable for it to enlarge as needed.

I'm still sorting out the new workflow and understanding how it works. Many shortcuts were introduced in 23.4 that give options for navigating (and selecting) text in the Transcript and Captions tabs. My comments are based on 23.5.0.

For example, even without being in edit mode, you can use Home to go to the beginning of the current segment and End to the end. Or in Edit mode or not, Shft+End to select and go to end of segment.

Currently, I believe the edit box size is determined by the space in the transcript area before entering edit mode. This is mainly based on the transcript/caption tab non-edit font size adjustment (a slider with 3 positions), and the text displayed for edit appears larger, and the lines are closer together. The text to edit does not include pauses. In the middle font size, all text usually shows in the text box; in the large font size, all text almost always shows, and in the small size it does not show all text more often than in any other size. But no matter, as you say, when you add lines, they scroll out of view.

It is not an adequate workaround, but to make the text box bigger, edit a transcript segment, go to the end, add several returns, and maybe some text ("New end.") so you can see it. Escape to exit the edit, then edit it again. The text box is much bigger.

A speech-to-text transcript should be fairly accurate, and ordinarily, you are not going to add a lot of text.

I also tested in PR Beta 23.6.0.35. It is the same, except that the small text size almost always fit the box. The middle size test often was missing as much as a line, and was often a smaller box than the available space. Odd.

@Alexander Riss @Kerstin Ebert Any observations that might be helpful?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate