• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I send a project file to someone, the timecodes of the clips change on the timeline

Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago I was cutting an A-line for my buddy. everything looked great on the timeline. I sent her mt project file because we're usign the same version of premiere. and she says when she opened the timeline, every single clip on the timeline starts at the beginning of the clip. and the timeline she was looking at didnt match the Exported MOV at all. it was all distorted she said. I just ignorantly assumed it was something quirky and a one-off so I didnt read much into it.... Then fast forward to a few weeks later (today), I'm talking to a SEPARATE person at a totally different company and he's describing the same issue to me over the phone. So I went and downloaded his project file to see his A-line and sure enough it was the same issue. they had pulled sound bites from the middel of a clip and put it on the timeline, but now the timline totally misrepresents that: and now every clip on the timeline is starting from the top of the clip instead of where it used to start. this is a huge bug!!!!! so when the original editor has it, they dont see any issues, but when they post the project file to dropbox for someone to download and the next editor picks it up, the timecodes of the clips on the timeline are now all wrong!!!  so we're forced to create an XML instead,. Has anyone come across this bug and do they know how to fix it? Creative cloud says my premiere is up to date: Version 23.4.0 (Build 56). iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2020. MacOS Ventura 13.4

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of media are you using?  

Just to rule out the obvious... you haven't made any changes to timecode in the Interpret footage options and the media they're reconnecting to is an exact clone of the media you're working with?  I would imagine that different timecode in the media files could cause this sort of relinking issue, although I admit this sounds a bit different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have not touched "interpret footage". MXF files. we are working off of the same files, different drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug with 23.4. Fixed in the Beta version already. See workarounds in this thread.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/audio-track-selection-for-source-media-transcripti...

If you saved the relinked project file in 23.4 you cannot use it. I think your best option is to roll back to 23.3, and open a backup version.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i skimmed the first sentence of this "solution" and it only talks about transcription. my issue doesnt pertain to transcription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So none of the clips had been transcribed? I don't know if there might be some other issue that could present these same symptoms.

@Francis-Crossman Can this be the same bug if no transcriptions?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no. There was no transcription involved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue at this point, they're working on a fix. There are a few workaround you can try in the meantime, they're mentioned in the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

transcription has nothing to do with this scenario. none of these clips were ever transcribed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you delete your comment? I dont want this thread to reflect these ideas of transcription since that was never involved in either aforementioned instance of these clip timecodes going awry on the timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@rachelcenter We have a known issue in 23.4 that causes clips to get relinked incorrectly in precisely the way you describe, but it only happens when source transcription is present.  It's possible you found another expression of this bug that does not require transcription, but I hope not.  Can you please verify that no source clips have been transcribed?  Do this by opening the text panel and setting it to the transcript tab.  Then double click on source clips in the project panel to load them into the source monitor.  If you see text in the transcript panel, you have transcripts generated.  It's possible this got generated automatically in the background without you knowing.  Maybe your collaborator did it?  Can you try the beta and let me know if it helps?  FYI, if you see the problem in 23.4 and save the project, the damage is done and cannot be fixed by going to the beta.  Make sure you are opening a known good project file.  So – if you have a properly linked project functioning as expected on your system, you can send that to your collaborator and have them open it in Beta (or vice versa).  I hope this helps.  

Votes

Translate

Translate