• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does sampling onscreen colors result in (slightly) wrong colors?

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please explain to me why this happens. I'm sure it has something to do with color spaces / settings which are the bane of my existence. 

In Premiere Pro (Windows 10, Premiere 2020 V 2..3.0) I want to make a COLOR MATTE that matches a color in my imported video. 

This video may be a MOV file exported from Animate, or an MP4 file provided by clients, etc. etc. 

I create a new Color Matte, set the size etc. When the Color Picker dialog appears, I use the eyedropper to sample the color from the area of the video I want to match.

Premiere creates a Color Matte. But, when I place this color matte on top of my original video, the matte doesn't match the underlying color. It's *close* but slightly off. 

For example, the color of the original video is #CDCFC4. The Color Matte *says* it is #CDCFC4.  *BUT* the new color matte displays onscreen as #CACCD2. 

The color of the original video is #EA7100. The Color Matte *says* it is #EA7100.  *BUT* the new color matte displays onscreen as #E96900.  

Even the color picker in Premiere identifies the color as #E96900 while the Color Matte continues to insist that it is set to #EA7100.

What gives?

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Color

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 Comment
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just for fun, I've tried with bitmap images (JPG, PNG, etc.) and I get the same - incorrect - results.

Votes

Translate

Translate