• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

100% CPU usage, and it's NOT the hardware

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read, and searched, and watched, and updated, and _fill-in-the-blank_, all to no avail.

Editing videos has now become virtually impossible - if you can't watch them in edit you can't fix them.

Every time I work in a file - doesn't matter resolution, fps, display output (set to 1/4, btw), CUDA set for rendering, etc etc etc - it blanks the cpu at 100% and crawls.

If anyone has a fix action I can try, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to find something else to edit in. Which stinks, because I like Premiere.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, me and everyone else has the same issue i'm afraid..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tobiq may also be having the same problems, but ... not nearly everyone else. Premiere is used by thousands of people, including a lot of broadcast shops and posthouses daily. So a lot of folks are doing fine.

Which is not your case. Something very odd is going on to cause the app to go full-on with the CPU yet crawl.

To start even guessing, it's always useful to have the full data ... system, OS, version of Premiere, where Premiere is 'housed' on your system, storage and connections of storage to computer, media used, effects, any third-party software touch the media, all that. Troubleshooting involves a bit of tedious data study and wrangling especially at the start.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also realise that there is extreme ignorance to issues related to Premiere on these forums, they'll blame your software/hardware to the end of days..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just say you have a problem is not getting you anywhere.

Hardware and workflow are a big part of getting things to work correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough - but this guy has the same issue as MANY other of us have. It has nothing to do with workflow, software or hardware. Its's Premiere that is the culpit. Check the countless of posts. Check mine for example. I've been on support with Adobe countless times.. Basically these indian call centers are well aware of the issue, but they can't to anything.. They suggest to render the timeline as you edit, which is absurd. You can't use proxy either as I use a lot of 60fps footage in 30fps timeline for slowmo, it'll screw the timing.

I ask them to pass on these issues to the dev team.. They then just refer to user voice... Why should I as a customer have to not only spend aweful lot of money, but my time to write complaints? Aren't the flood of posts enough? Why is no one at adobe taking responsibility? This is so classic when companies become to large.

Truth is, adobe premiere does NOT ustilise your GPU for playback..
I use AMD RX 5700 which offering support for H.264 4K150/8K30 Decodes and 4K90 Encodes (that's Ultra HD recording at 90 Hz/PS). For H.265 you'll see 4K60 Decode support, 4K90 Encode support. Why doesn't Premiere utilise this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, what is happening... Premiere is running terrible. I had an old unupdatable version and I was like, time to upgrade because it stopped working properly (playback, way too slow and choppy and just will not let me scrub smoothly. A year ago and it was fine, now it is like I went back ten years... Almost unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your point about the newer AMD cards offering H.264/265 decoding assistance is a good one. And Premiere doesn't use that, which sucks. It would sure work a lot better if it did. The last bit of decision on my 'new' machine before I send 'em money is which v-card. And it's between an Nvidia and an AMD. I want them both used fully.

The reason for the suggestions to go to the UserVoice system is two-fold.

First, every post over there and every comment added to a 'current' post is read by an engineer. That is the system they use for users to communicate to the engineering staff ... this forum is for primarily user-to-user help, which for many things is a fast way to get something working again.

Second ... every post and comment there is collated and delivered to the upper managers ... those above "team" level ... who are the ones that determine budgets and such. Those folks live by metrics. Posting something on the UserVoice system gives them metrics. And I do mean, at Adobe ... metrics are almost everything for upper-manager decisions. Frustrating but true.

And at MAX, what we ACP's heard from the engineering team was that they need more metrics ... more detailed posts ... of user difficulties. Again, two reasons.

First ... they only have X number of machines in-house, and Y number of beta-testers. Premiere runs on the widest array of gear/media of any major NLE, and they simply don't have enough machines to nearly duplicate every combo of gear bits, other installed apps/utilities, media, and such that can be a part of a problem. What they can't replicate, they can't see, they can't fix.

And second, it shows the upper managers that though the general user base numbers for performance are good, they still have a ton of serious things affecting smaller groups that need attention. Which means ... budgeted engineer time.

Is it a right royal pain to go file things on U-V? Yep.

Is it necessary?  Yep.

Does it have an affect on things? Yep.

This app is used daily by many thousands of users. When it ain't working right, it's best to squeak where squeaking can do something.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough Neil, I appreciate your reply and your constructive approach. I will try to gather all the details I have discovered so far and write a post. I think everyone just want this performance issue fixed asap, as it affects job performance and caffeine levels to much 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure out what your issue was? I'm currently experiencing this and it's extremely frustrating.

My build:

Ryzen 9 3950x (16 cores) 3.85ghz
RTX 3090 Founders Edition

64gb of DDR4 4000hz RAM

MSI X570 Carbon Pro Motherboard

1200w PSU

My boot drive is a 500gb m.2 SSD 

My working drive is a 2TB m.2 SSD

My external drives are just used for storage once I finish a project so they shouldn't impact anything.

Running Nvidia Studio Drivers v462.31

Premiere Pro 2021 v15.0.0 (Build 41)

Windows 10 Pro Version 1909

I had a PC that was much weaker than this and had no issues. Now I spent almost $5k on a build that can't run premiere without ramping my CPU up to 100% and forcing me to quit the program. 

I'm shooting with an a7s iii so I know that the files can be a little rough to edit but I haven't had any issues until recently and now I simply can't use premiere. 

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears! I have already tried turning GPU Acceleration on and off and it doesn't seem to matter. This is also happening to me every single time I try to use the program. Doesn't matter if I start with a brand new project and import the footage directly from the working drive, it ramps the CPU up to 100% and then I'm unable to use my computer until it quits the program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ben,

Sorry about this. I suggest you test in 15.2 Beta. There are some under the hood changes which may assist your particular hardware. Let me know if you have better results. 

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin! You're a legend!!

Don't want to jinx myself but so far so good! Everything is loading much quicker now. Even while loading up the previews for each video, I was able to import 543 video clips from the a7s iii and my CPU usage sits around 50% while it's fetching previews and then drops to around 7% once it's done with that. 

Thank you so much for your suggestion! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also mention that I had Rocket League in the background with the Beta version , web browsers open, and music playing and still haven't had any issues. This is the kind of performance I've been waiting for with this new build. Can't thank you enough!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm about to try this too...

I went to edit the first timelapse I took with a brand new camera and suddenly Premiere didn't want to do a damned thing...

Crossing my fingers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried a proxy workflow?  worth a shot.  You say everything was working fine recently?  has anything changed?  Have you done any OS or Premiere updates?  Have you installed any new hardware or software?  If things were working better in a previous version of Premiere, I suggest you revert to that version if Kevin's suggestion to try the beta doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to jump in, everything was working fine for me recently and nothing changed, but now the Premiere performance is horrendous. My computer isn't as good as what he has now, but still, everything working like a dream a short time ago... Windows computer, is it Windows? It's the only thing that is in constant flux with updates and such

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried a proxy workflow only because up until fairly recently I haven't needed to. My build is pretty beefy and shouldn't have any issues handling the footage. Especially considering that I hadn't even created a sequence or anything yet. All I did was just import the footage. So even if I did use proxies, I would still have to import the footage and the proxies and I would still be faced with the same issue.

I followed Kevin's suggestion of using the beta version because it has updates specifically for my hardware and it helped a lot! I'm sitting around 10% CPU usage now with video games and web browsers running simultaneously. MASSIVE improvement!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Kevin !! I was having the same problem and this seems to have worked for me too. Feels so wrong spending all your money on a beefy workstation to get the same bugs & limitations than your first laptop.

For reference:

Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Cores

Nvidia RTX3070 8Gb

32GB DDR4 RAM

Rog Strix B550-E Gaming

Boot drive 500gb m.2 SSD

Work drive 4Tb USB 2.0 + occasional files are linked from a Lacie Porcshe Design 8To USB

(not ideal but temporary solution)

Running Nvidia Studio Drivers v462.31

Premiere Pro 2021 v15.1 (Build 41) (but now, obvs, the beta 15.2)

Windows 10 Home Build 19042.928

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, where can I find the program 15.2 Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Thank you very much. I've been looking for a long time, haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's up then? I don't understand how this is happening to so many and its basically crickets.  I can't use Premiere now and I am about to bail. I might have to use DaVinci even though it is not ideal in the least and I work slower but at least I have full control of my workflow and not stuttering in playback and basically unable to work at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

n9xxx,

Sorry about that. What are the exact specs of your computer? What kind of media are you editing with? Which camera are you using? All these things really matter. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly they matter, but when nothing has changed from project to project and everything comes to a screaching halt in terms of performance/playback and export, that is a major red flag. 

Black Magic Pocket 4K (editing a mix of 4k and standard HD with current project. Last project the same, no issues. 

Video lives on external SSD

Intel 8 core i7-9700 3.0 ghz Processor

32 Gb ram

NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (8GB GDDR6)

512GB Z Turbo Drive PCIe SSD

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even just dragging the blue line on the timeline stutters, it's maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines