• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

100fps footage - choppy playback on a 23.976 timeline! Please help.

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the 100fps 1980 x 1080 clip is played in an external player (VLC) - the playback is smooth when camera pans across the room. But when I insert this clip into a 23.976 timeline, it plays choppy, as if with low framerate - moving objects are kind of strobed a little. I tried to manualy set "Interpret Footage" to 23.976, then it plays at 23.9% which is unacceptable. Different Time Interpolation settings (Frame Sampling, Optical Flow etc) don/t make a difference. 

When I drop this clip into a new sequence, it automatially sets the sequence framarate as 100fpt and plays smoothly... But my project must be 23.976fps because it includes a mixture of 25fps, 60fps and 100fps.  The camera was Sony A7S III.

Please help me, it's driving me crazy...

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because when you drop the 100fps clip on to the 23.98 timeline, premiere automatically drops frames from the 100fps clip to make it run at 24fps second.

This will give the footage a more jerky appearance, just a 24fps allways appears more jerky than 30fps material.

If you want the 100fps to be smooth slow motion, then right click on the source clip Project Panel and from the drop down menu choose Modify > Interpret Footage . . . and set that frame rate to 23.98. Now all the frames of the source 100fps per second will play, but it will be playing at about 1/4 real time - so what happend in 1 second of recording will take 4 seconds to play out.

If you want the source 100fps to play in real time (1 second of recording = 1 second of playback) on a 23.98 timeline, then you have to drop frames from the source to make up the discrepancy of trying to fit 100 frames into 24 frames each second.

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't belive there's no way to make it smooth while maintaining 1 second of recording = 1 second of playback. In the same project I have 60fps source footage inserted and it plays perfectly smooth. Then why isn't 100fps? 

How do all people mix 100, 60 and 23.8 fps on same timeline? It's a common practice...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This person on Reddit says in some old thread:

"This is because those are PAL/European and Asian camera frame rates (25/50/100), vs the US which is 24/60/120 (the US also has 29.97/30 for broadcast NTSC)". 

Is that the reason why my 60fps footage plays smoothly on 23.976, while 100fps doesn't? The 60fps footage was shot with one camera, while 100fps and 25fps with another. Is this the culprit? 

What's my workaround besides converting 100 to 23.976 prior to inserting into timeline?  Should I interpret it as 23.976 and then increase the speed 4 times to compensate for slow motion? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert with After Effects or Handbrake.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does it need to be 23.976.

I would go for 25. You wont see the difference. And less headache.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the first time you are bringing up this issue.

You have been warned those framerates dont mix.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not After Effects not Handbrake literate... Could you please point me to a tutorial on how to do it? Can it be done in Media Encoder? Your are talking about converting it to 23.976, right? 

The reason it was shot with higher fps is to do slow motion if needed, so some portions or each clip will need to be keyframed be in slow motion, some clips will need to be in slow motion completely, without keyframing. Once I convert 100 to 23.976, I can't go slow motion... 

The project needs to be 23.976 because it's already a rather big project that is being done in 23.976 with every clip time-mapped. Plus it needs to have that cinematic look and most festivals in US need 23.976.

Yes, this is not the first time. Last time I had to mix 25 on 23.976 which was fixed by interpreting footage as 23.976. But this time (100 - 23.976) it doesn't work - the slow down is huge (obviously).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens,

Are you saying not to mix 25/50/100 WITH 24/30/60 - or - not to mix anything with 23.976/24/25 ?

The former would make some sense, but the latter... the reason for higher fps on a 24 or 25 timeline is slow motion, where there's no exact definition of how slow it can be. It can be just 80% of 100fps, there must be a way to play this on a 24 timeline.

I converted the 100fps file to 23.976 in Media Encoder and the added motion blur is still there. Is there ANY way to play a 100fps clip at 23.976/24/25 framerate without added motion blur? Got to be one!?

As a last resort, are there effects in Premiere or third party plugins that can remove or reduce motion blur?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past it took a long time for dslr and action cams to be fitted with pal framerate.

Based on passed experience (i live in Europe) mixing socalled pal footage with ntsc footage is a big pita.

I tend to avoid ntsc footage at all times now.

I dont have a ready made solution for your. Its trial and error, see what works best.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your help. Can you please elaborate on methods of converting it in After Effects or Handbrake that you've mentioned? Is it just converting to lower framerate which After Effects does differently or removing motion blur with effects that After Effects has but premiere doesn't?

How did you end up fixing it? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How did you end up fixing it? 

I never did.

Give this a try: only not sure if this will work in the newer AE.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines