• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

10bit 4:2:2 footage plays in CC21 but not in CC22

Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could really use some help on this.  I have CC2021 and CC2022 installed on my system.  I have a project someone else in the office worked on in CC2022, which is why I need to also be using 2022 for this particular project.

To troubleshoot I created a new project in both 21 and 22 with just a single file: a 4:2:2 10bit 4k mp4 60fp3 clip from a Sony a7siii.  It plays like butter in CC21 (with all max settings), but takes over 15 seconds to update a single paused frame in 2022.

My 2022 version is "22.3.1 (Build 2)" and the other editor's version is "22.3.0 (Build 121)" His is working fine but I don't see any way to downgrade my system to "22.3.0 (Build 121)...  I have tried all versions of 2022 all with the same issues.

Here's a screen recording if it helps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1krb-wFqlVrfF1C92KIL1CHhiYLn2oaL9/view?usp=sharing

Both installs and projects have Media Cache files pointing to the same location on an internal SSD drive and both have Hardware Acceleration enabled.

The problematic system is Windows 10 Pro 64bit with 64GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.  The CC21 version is 15.4.5.

I believe this was working in CC22 yesterday before I updated to the latest CC22 (I only updated because I wanted to use the music retiming feature).  I am almost certain I worked on this project in 2022 without issues until the update, but it's possible I only ever opened it in 2021 before the other editor took over on his system in 2022.  We can still finish the project in his system but if it doesn't work on mine I'm not sure what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried 8bit file from the same camera and it works perfectly fine at full quality.

In "Properties" in Premiere pro this is what the files read:

Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0 (Full Range) <--This works

Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 10 bit 4:2:2 <--This is unplayable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Beta version just out of curiosity and it also plays 10 bit just fine.  It seems it's JUST any installs of 2022 that refuse to work right.  I've noticed 2021 uses GPU in my task manager but it doesn't appear that 2022 is.

Any thoughts at all on what I should be digging into to troubleshoot this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current beta is still a 2022 build ... just with some corrections being tested.  I'm often able to work just fine in the public betas, btw. And you can open the project in the beta, work some, close, then open in shipping ... and it works just fine.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @R Neil Haugen .  I wondered if the beta might still be 2022 but didn't want to go further down a rabbit hole of not return.  I tried the trick of converting project files to older versions using the text editor (converted 22 to 21) but upon opening in cc21 I received an error saying I have features not available in the current version (or something like that).  I didn't even think to try the beta project in 22.

I did just try opening a test project that was created in Beta and was able to successfully open it in CC22, so you're right.  As a workaround, I will try using Beta for now knowing the other editor can still edit that project in his working CC22 install.  This still isn't a "fix" so I would like to continue pursuing this, but I appreciate your help as it DOES provide a workaround I hadn't even thought about.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I saw a dev on somewhere acknowledging that they've noted this and worked on a fix ... which is why the beta is working better for that media.

They completely rebuilt all color handling, processing, management controls, and defaults in Pr2022. And as might be expected, not all formats/codecs/spaces are working correctly on all systems. Ahem.

I'm now assuming this entire 2022 series is going to be working through the CM format/codecs/settings/defaults/user-overrides process to get the many, many kinks out.

So at this time hoping the 2023 version will have the 'finished' setups.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines