Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

15.4 crashes when editing - Unable to create image buffer

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

I have a brand new Lenovo Ideapad 5 11thGen i7, 16Gb Ram, Intel iRis Xe graphics and running up to date PP 15.4.  While editing simple 1080p footage, I get an error someting akin to "image buffer can't be created" followed usually by a black screen and then a PP crash.  Once, the crash event even took out Windows which went to blue screen and then had to be restarted.  This happens quite a bit--probably 7 or 8 times over the last 3 days.  Windows is up to date, the Intel Graphics iRis xe driver is also up to date.  Any help to figure out how to stop this would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Charles

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem lies with the nature of all in-CPU integrated graphics. You see, such integrated graphics has absolutely no discrete VRAM at all; instead, it relies on stealing system RAM for itself. And once that amount of system RAM gets allocated to the integrated graphics, that RAM becomes completely inaccessable by the rest of your system while the integrated graphics is doing any video rendering and/or encoding and/or decoding. And by default, that Intel Iris Xe graphics steals a whopping 8 GB of system RAM for itself, plus the default Windows 10 stock configuration eats up another 4.25 GB of RAM, leaving you with only 3.75 GB total (in the worst-case scenario) of free, unused, available system RAM for the rest of the system including Adobe Premiere Pro.

Premiere Pro really works best with 16 GB or more free, unused system RAM. But to attain that amount would, given the RAM-stealing integrated graphics, require that you have 32 GB or more RAM installed in your laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this information, it is really good to know.  However, in my case it doesn't feel like this is strictly the problem.  I had been using Premiere Pro for over a year on 4 year old Dell with an i5, 8Gb of Ram and the integrated Intel Graphics 520 and never had a single crash--like ever.  The crashes I am experiencing now happen even when I have only a few clips in the timeline with no effects and am playing back a preview at 1/2 resolution.  I agree it sounds like there has to be something with the graphics/RAM going on, but since my old machine ran smoothly, it feels like the answer has to be more than just numbers distribution--with all the drivers already being updated, I'm just not sure what that would be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE:  Just be clear, the exact error message I receive is "Unable to create image buffer".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines