• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2-pass encoding for H.264 and H.264 Blu-ray hangs at the end of Pass 1

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Pro V22.2 and am unable to use 2-pass encoding for H.264 and H.264 Blu-ray for long videos (1.5 hours, for example).  1-Pass works okay which tells me the projects are okay, but when I use 2-pass, PP locks up at the end of Pass 1.  On shorter videos such as 24 minutes, 2-pass works okay.  I have spent 2+ hours on the phone with Adobe support and they have not been able to fix the problem.  Is anyone elee having this problem?   The videos are 1080p.

TOPICS
Export , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a particular reason you need 2-pass encoding? It sounds like you must have a very specific deliverable need. Give us the details of what you need to produce and we can have ideas to help.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Thanks for the response.  I have been using 2-pass encoding since it became available.  My assumption was that for a given bitrate, 2-pass would produce a better image.   I have always had fast computers, so the extra time required for 2-pass was not a problem.  This worked fine until recently when I started having Premiere Pro freeze at the end of the first pass.   I spent 2+ hours with Adobe using remote access to troubleshoot, including deleting presets, reinstalling the graphics driver, and trying the 2021 version of PP.  I have done testing on a second computer running Windows 10 with no difference in the results.   My first computer runs Windows 11.  For short (24 minute) videos, 2-pass works okay, but for 2+ hour videos, it hangs at the end of Pass 1.   Another strange thing is that PP is still using 10% of the CPU time when it freezes.   MPEG-2 DVD 2+ hour videos do encode with 2-pass okay, but not H.264 or H.264 Blu-ray.    I have spent many hours trying different configurations without fixing the problem.  Frankly, I cannot afford to spend any more time doing testing.   One good thing about 1-pass encoding is that I can use hardware encoding which is very fast.   That leads to another mystery.  With 2-pass encoding, only software encoding can be selected, but when encoding using the software setting, it is still using around 30% of the GPU's processing power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No app can do hardware encoding on a 2-pass process, one of the users here has the full story on that but I don't recall the details.

For some things the 2-pass can give slightly better data compression is what someone said a while back ... but again, I'm not the one that really knows that cold.

I've used 1-pass for many different things for years, and never had an issue. Now I don't do broadcast though, don't know if at times it might be wise there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines