• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2022 PP - choose scratch disk location at start

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I start a project, I want to name it and choose my scratch disk locations - starting with media feels amateur and makes my workflow harder.

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch disk is no longer is the Import Tab

You can skip the Add Media. Just set a name and path and hit OK.

Then you can set the scratch disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that’s made it worse, you’ve made the workflow worse.--
Max Toomey
Co-founder, Rather Good
[personal info deleted by mod]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann didn't make anything worse. She's a volunteer here, like ALL the "community experts. This forum is primarily user-to-user assistance, with some oversight by product support staffers (who are NOT on the product teams) and occasinal participation by supers/engineers from the teams.

The explanation for the changes, adding the Import/Edit/Export pages, is that the old New Project dialog had three things that were heavily used: Name, Location, Create.

All other options were rarely used, as they are sticky. So if you want the cache files to be with the project files and set that once... it stays that way until you change it. Most users either 1) stored all those with the project files (for quick archiving), or like me, do 2) stored all on a specified cache disk.

For either 1) or 2), do it once, and again, they'll be stored that way until you change it. I never touch the cache files locations, and my cache files are always in the proper folders on my specified cache drive.

So as far as the devs are concerned, they replaced the options rarely used (cache file locations) with that new project start/import page which does have a lot of users.

And other than Name, Location, and Create, the other options on the New Project/Import page aren't gonna be used by many of us. Most of us will go on building our projects from the Project panel or MediaBrowser panel as expected.

So ... really, no major change. The "dialog" looks different, there's a MUCH farther 'reach' to click Create ... that's about it.

But for say TV newsroom editors and such places, the new import process at project start is an awesome addition to the app. And no, it wasn't added for YouTubers or "amateurs".

They just need a 'flat' quick project, as they do maybe 5-10 different short projects in quick succesion every day. For that workflow, it's a great addition.

Now, if you set your cache files different every time, yea, this now would be more work. I don't know why you would, but we all work differently, so I expect of the several million PrPro daily users, more than a few set those differently on a regular basis.

And yea, for those, this isn't as handy at all.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally fair, apologies Ann.

Good explanation, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can explain it. I understand it.

Wouldn't have been my choice though ... 😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nor mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines