22.2 trouble for Sony FS9 XAVC footage

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every shot in the timeline from FS9 footage (xavc 4k) is over deviated, hot, crushed blacks, crazy saturation. Turn off all Lumetri and/or luts and it's still not clean like the original footage. All other sources on the timeline are fine and as they were before the update. Was able to revert back to 21.1.2 and sequences now seem to be back to normal. I hope Adobe will fix this but for now I'm sticking with 21.1.2.

TOPICS
Editing , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It's perfect that reverting back to an older version fixed your issue.

Please read this discussion also

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-how-to-fix-saturated-over-exposed-hlg-cl...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Great info in that link. I'll go through it to see if it fixes my issues.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the color space of those clips? Are they HLG, or are they log-encoded Rec.709?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the info from one of the clips, so 709 it looks like.

Also the reply from Joelle Bh above is very helpful. I may reinstall 22.2 and see if I can fix the clips with the link he provided. Maybe 22.2 didn't see the same settings from when I started the project in 21.1.2. 

- Card 1/XDROOT/Clip/FX9_B0032.MXF Type: MXF File Size: 14.42 GB Image Size: 3840 x 2160 Frame Rate: 29.97 Alpha: None Color Space: Rec. 709 Color Space Override: Off Input LUT: None MXF File details: Wrapper type: MXF OP1a (type: SingleItem SinglePackage MultiTrack Stream Internal) File generated by: Sony, Mem (2.00) AVC Unconstrained Bitstream Format: Sony Gamma: S-Log3 Cine

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from the changes to the underlying color system, the complete rebuild, that is the Pr2022 version. Some things aren't working as expected ... and one of them is for many of the s-log variants, unfortunately.

It stems from a bit of background tech info: all HDR is log-encoded by nature. Right? And though SDR/Rec.709 is (comparatively) "integer-encoded" for lack of a better term ... some Rec.709 media is actually also log-encoded. But meant to be 'seen' as SDR/Rec.709. Such as your clips.

But Pr2022 so far as released sees some of the log-encoded SDR clips ... and immediately goes into HLG, hybrid log-gamma color space with them. Which is 'fixable' for many by going to the project panel, right-clicking, Modify/Interpret Footage, setting that to Override to Rec.709.

However ... for some Sony & Panny log-encoded media, it will not allow you to override ... at. Freaking. All.

Which is also acknowledged by the team, but the fix ain't here yet. So ...

IF you can override to Rec.709, you can do that, and then Premiere will treat the clip correctly at export.

If you can't ... well, that's a problem, ain't it? Sigh.

I'm including links to a couple FAQs on this forum, the first deals with the color changes in Pr2022, from what was changed through how to use the new setup to what's just broken at this point. The second is how to set your monitors if you are actually intending to work in HDR in Pr2022, because that has also changed.

Neil

FAQ:PremierePro 2022 Color Management for Log/RAW Media

How to Set Monitors for HDR work in Premiere Pro 2022?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Great info and much appreciated.  

Also I just noticed I've been saying I updated from 21.1.2, when in fact I was updating from 22.1.2 to 22.2, the latest update. In a few days I may try the update again and use the setting mentione here, but not today. It works now so I'm going to leave it alone.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines