I've been working for the last few years with editing and rendering 15-20 minute videos that have take around 25 minutes or less to render out with H264. The type of footage I'm working with hasn't changed at all but, all of a sudden, the renders are taking 8+ hours. I tried updating from Premiere 2015 10.4 to 2017 but it stopped recognising all of the audio from my video files and I had to revert back to 10.4 and re-save/replace every individual file (30+) out in MPEG Streamclip to get it to recognise the audio on them again.
After this, I rendered one video and it seemed to render out at normal speed. I started rendering the another one a few hours later and the render time has jumped to 12 hours.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as the video delivery is very time sensitive!
Are you using GPU accelerated rendering and playback (File>Project Settings>General>Renderer)?
Do you have Max Render Quality or Max Bit Depth or Composite in Linear Color selected/checked for export?
I have GPU accelerated rendering and playback enabled and I always check the 'Max Render Quality' box. I do this for every video I export. Thanks,
Okay, then try variations of those settings. Specifically, switch to Software Only rendering and uncheck Max Render Quality. Since the problem appeared suddenly, it's possible your project settings got changed inadvertently.
Thanks, I'll try this and report back!
Max Render Quality will only add time when using GPU acceleration. It actually forces the render off the GPU and onto the CPU, which is often a LOT slower.
Stop using Max Render Quality. You don't need it.
Hi Jim, thanks for the advice - I'll take this into account and change it but it's not what's causing the long render times as I've used these exact settings to render 1000+ videos, so it's likely to be something else. Thanks for the advice though!
Have you actually run this export without that settings yet?
If not, do so and report back.
Hi Jim, just tried it - no difference, unfortunately.
However: I left 5 files stacked up to render over the weekend and the first one was predicting a 13 hour render but, when I checked 24 hours later, all renders had completed. It's as if something just kicked in and got it working at some point. I'm clueless!
It does sometimes go that way. PP's estimate is assuming the same level of difficulty for the entire program. So a rough spot can drastically up that estimate, which drops back down once the rough spot is past.
After a few days of being fine, it has now gone back to 8 + hours. I haven't changed anything!
This is an ooooold thread, but I had the same problem in 2023, then I discovered that in Adobe Media Encoder, my "Renderer" had been switched to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" instead of "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Accelerated (Metal) - Recommended". Once I switched it back it went from 8 hour render to 15 min render for my YouTube video.