• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3.5ghz MacBook Pro with 16gb RAM and it lags and drops frames badly while playing back in Premier?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest update Premiere became completely unusable because I cannot review the video and edit at the same time. I turned the playback quality all the way down to 1/4th, and it is set to square pixels. I have a 2tb scratch disk with an internal 1tb that is 50% empty. I'm running Premiere by itself, and I'm only working on little 3min or less clips so I don't think I should have to adjust my memory settings. Please don't tell me you guys are throttling anything that isn't running an M1 chip. 

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lucas23457421kse0,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We can get this checked. Let us know more about the type of media files you are working with (format/codec, frame rate & frame size) & the effects applied.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame size: 1920 X 1080

Timebase: 23.976 fps

Cross dissolve is applied. I am importing still images right now, but its just jpeg images and mp3 audio.

I just downgraded from Monterey to Big Sur so I wiped my whole internal harddrive drive and reinstalled everything. I also rolled Premiere back to the 2021 LTS version and it is still doing this. I've used this for years, and only recently has it started doing this. Video playback in Final Cut Pro is perfect so it isn't hardware. I have a project due tomorrow so I'm just going to use Final Cut and not Premiere. It is supposed to be turned in as a Premiere project, but I'm going to get documentation from Adobe about the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After several attempts to solve this problem I bought a Mac Mini with an M1 chip that actually has a slightly slower benchmark than my 3.5ghz Intel Macbook Pro and it isn't doing it. I don't really feel I should have to have had to go that far. But the Silicon version of Premiere Pro isn't doing this with the same .prproj file and the same amount of physical RAM and allocated RAM Both are on clean installs of Monterey. Interesting. I want to know what Adobe has to say about this. I just had to buy a new computer on top of the one I have so I can do my final video editing assignments for my college classes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Hi, I'm a MacBook user: macOS Big Sur 11.4 version M1, 13.3 inch.
    16GB RAM

I uploaded 4K, 4:2:2 video to Premiere Pro latest version. The video lags (slows down) so much that I'm unable to watch it, let alone edit it. It lags even though I set its playback resolution to 1/8 without even dropping it to the timeline.
    The videos lag even when I create/activate proxies. When I drop the same videos to Final Cut, they play perfectly without any lags even when the proxies are not activated.

I deleted the media cache, decreased the playback resolution so much, set the "RAM reserved for other applications" on memory, but the video is still not playing. What might be the problem? Can you help me please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sumeet,

I've been having a similar issue. After one of the recent updates, Metal GPU acceleration leads to a black screen in the playback window. Either that, or it flickers, even when the playback resolution is set to 1/4. I'm having to use the Software only option as a work around - and even this lags (again, with playblack resolution set to 1/4). I only create 5 minute long videos with animated text overlay over videos, with multiple video clips stitched together and transitions.

Video specs:

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate: 29.97

Format: MPEG

Codec type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0

System specs:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

RAM: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines