• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K GoPro encoder - audio only import

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I use premiere pro 2015 on windows to edit, but when I import a clip from the GoPro that is 4K or 120fps it only imports the audio and not the video.
I can watch the 4K video on my computer but not in premiere pro.
The best I can do is film in 2.7k 60fs, and then it works on premiere pro.
Do I need to download an encoder? Prefer not to use handbrake as it reduces quality.

or is my Version of premiere pro out of date?

Thanks

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were to guess, GoPro encodes in h265 for 4k, but h264 for the rest. You can verify that by checking the files with a media inspector. Anyways, I doubt Premiere 2015 can decode it, as such, no video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometime the nested replies make me a little crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ross:

GoPro provides GoPro Player to "Export files that are compatible with other editing software".  While you can export H.264, you may want to consider using a CODEC that's good for editing like GoPro Cineform (which CC2015 supports on Windows) or Apple ProRes (which requires a current version of Premiere Pro on Windows).  

Yes, your version of Premiere Pro is out-of-date.  The current version is Premiere Pro 2021, but this is likely to get updated officially tomorrow during the annual Adobe MAX conference (https://max.adobe.com).

- Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the advice. This worked, I have used the GoPro player and the encoder works to allow me to convert these GoPro files and allow editing with CC2015, however see findings below:

- H.264 with Hardware encoding - Converts to an MP4 file which allows editing in CC2015. Note file size is reduced by 50%, as is the bitrate, therefore the quality reduction is noticable.

- CineForm - Creates a .mov file, file size has grown by x5, but is not really workable on my system.

Is there a way to convert to H.264 without loosing 50% file size?

Thanks,

Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ross:

Yeah, video files that are good for editing tend to require a good amount of hard drive storage.

If you cannot find a higher quality output option for H264 from GoPro Player and you cannot switch over to GoPro Cineform files, I would go through a three-step process:  One, convert a handful of files to GoPro Cineform-3 (as much as fits on your local storge while leaving adequate space for the next part).  Two, immediately use Adobe Media Encoder CC2015 to convert the resulting GoPro Cineform files to H264 at high quality settings.  Three, check the resutling H264 files and assuming those look good then delete the intermediate GoPro Cineform files.  Repeat this until you have all the footage that you're looking to edit in Premiere Pro CC2015 converted.  You could even take the time to sub-clip the GoPro Cineform files in Premiere Pro CC2015 and then send the sub-clips to AME, transcoding just the segments of the clips that you know that you to work with.  

- Warren

P.S.  I was accidentally logged in under my work Adobe ID when I first replied to your post, so it may appear that two different people named Warren are replying to your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines