• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4k .mov files are skipping once imported into Premiere. Videos play fine outside of Premiere.

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys! Hoping someone can help me with this very frustrating issue. I am importing 4k .mov files shot on an iPhone X in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018. Opening the videos with VLC media player works fine, no skipping. However, once I import the videos into Premiere, certain files (usually longer, but still only about 1 minute long) heavily skip to the point of being unusable. Any idea what might be causing this? My computer specs:

CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3701 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB DDR4

Hard Drive: 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

When a movie runs fine in a player it does not mean it will run fine in a NLE.

Run your file through HandBrake and set it to CFR and import again.

See how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.1.2 works with variable frame rate media  ... sort of.

I would suggest selecting the clips in a bin before using them on a timeline and right-click/Interpret-as the framerate they were shot at.

Then try them on new sequences.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

12.1.2 works with variable frame rate media  ... sort of.

I would suggest selecting the clips in a bin before using them on a timeline and right-click/Interpret-as the framerate they were shot at.

Hey Neil. I've selected them all in a bin and did the following: Right click > Modify > Interpret Footage > Use Frame Rate from File

The Use Frame Rate from File option was already selected...issue persists...anything else I could try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a movie runs fine in a player it does not mean it will run fine in a NLE.

Run your file through HandBrake and set it to CFR and import again.

See how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have fixed the problem clips Ann! I'm not sure as to why this happens, does it have to do with the file format? Wondering if there is something I can do while shooting so I can avoid having to add this extra step into my workflow. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most "devices" do everything they can to cut down the amount of data recorded. H.264 long-GOP compression, and using Variable Frame Rate. If the device thinks gee, there's little motion, I can get by with only 17 frames per second for now ... oops, much motion, 32FPS ... then to 27 ... that's the way it records it. Very few phones or devices allow you to lock it down for CFR.

Even though I set my phone for 30fps, the "framerate from file" will get results from 27fps to 31.4 fps as shown in PrPro. I always use the Interpret footage set to "assume this framerate" and set that at what I'd set the phone for. Seems to get better results.

Still, Ann's suggestion of using Handbrake is the reliable absolute fix.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please explain CFR as this is not obvious to people with this problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most phones these days record VFR ... variable frame-rate video. The audio is a solid time-code thing, but the number of video frames varies as the device thinks it needs frames. Little movement, framerate drops. More movement, faster framerate ... more frames per second.

My Samsung S22 Ultra phone, when set for "30fps", will record a constantly varying file that will be as slow as 26.4fps or around there, and in bits might be up to 31.4fps.

This is rough on an NLE. Not so bad on a straight video player, as it's just playing back a file from beginning to end. It doesn't piece bits together here and there, and also track anything against the video file on other layers/tracks. While applying effects.

CFR ... constant framerate ... is what any actual video camera records. Set it to 23.976fps, it records 23.976 frames per second every second. MUCH easier for the NLE to work with.

So phone media has issues for something like Premiere. And if it isn't working smoothly, transcoding it to a CFR format is incredibyly helpful. Which something like the free utility app ShutterEncoder does quickly and very nicely.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encoded my iphone mov files (1080p 60fps) using both handbrake with the CFR setting enabled, and shutterencoder. 

Both resulting MP4s are glitching in my NLE on my laptop. Very frustrating.

However on my PC at home there is no issue... what can I deduce from this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First question ... did you set the convert to CFR option when t-coding? As that of course is necessary.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes definitely. I just tried shutter encoder and same issue. Why?? Premiere on my laptop which is more powerful than my pc at home is playing them back glitchy! Nightmare. 

In the normal player though theyre fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's frustrating. And sadly, I can't figure out what next.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines