• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

a solution to sluggish performance in Premiere: Keep Bins Closed

Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm providing support for a client with a very complex documentary project.  When I stopped by his edit room today, he explained that he was seeing sluggish behavior.  He's got a decent intel imac pro with 64 gigs of RAM.  When he was playing his 3 hr sequence which he was building for the writer's review, initially the system would be responsive, but as I started playing and clicked further down in the timeline, eventually the system would choke for a few seconds to update the image in the program monitore and only then I'd be able to hit the space bar or hit the play button and get a response...   Now, this was not a deal breaker, but always a good idea when things START acting wonky, to at least try and figure out where the problem is originating from, before things escalate.  

We've been discussing moving the project to a production so I started figuring out exactly how complex the project was to describe the situation in a post I'll finish later about whether it makes sense to move to a production and the best way to organize the production.     So as I was looking at the scope of the project by expanding the project to fill the screen, I noticed he had about 20 bin tabs open.  This seriously upset my OCD...  and when I asked why he had so many bins open, he didn't realize that he had...  Closed all the bins... and lo and behold, back to a responsive interface.   

I imagine having too many sequences open could also choke the system...  

Hope this is of some help to others...

Mod note: Title changed slightly.

TOPICS
Editing , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's definitely the type of job that needs to be done as a Production rather than a standalone project.

For exactly the reasons you listed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you're saying, but the client has some resistance, I which I understand.  He has extensive avid and fcp1-7 experience...  Since I solved the initial issue with sluggish behavior, he's not onboard with moving to productions ...  at the moment.    Will start a new thread either today or tomorrow and describe the specifics of the project and hopefully get some feedback from you and others on how to organize a production with this material..   He's off to LA next week, and I'm probably also heading to Texas on a couple of jobs, but when we both get back, I've suggested we spend at least 3 or 4 hours testing the move to productions...Make sense? Thanks as always.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. You do NOT want to move that dramatically inside a big job unless you have to. Professional sense there, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"... he was seeing sluggish behavior. He's got a decent intel imac pro with 64 gigs of RAM. When he was playing his 3 hr sequence ... eventually the system would choke [...] I noticed he had about 20 bin tabs open.  ...  Closed all the bins... and lo and behold, back to a responsive interface. "

Thanks for the post Michael Grenadier. This does suggest that independent projects are structured so they use RAM only for open bins. (Or, more conservatively, that they use less RAM for unopened bins). That's a good point of info.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, that was good information from Michael's observation there. Open bins add to the stand-alone projects "project overhead" ... and for a lot of larger projects, that is SO easy to have a ton of bins open.

I've got a monitor I just have the Project panel/bins on. And yea, even on small projects, I'll have five or more open at once.

But that's where Productions mode comes in HUGE.  In Production mode, I don't get any hit for having a ton of bins open. As that structures the use of resources differently. And by design, to allow the use of folders and within them. multiple projects to organize the overall Project ... without getting the lag/slowdown of many opened bins NOR getting any duplication of assets when using across multiple projects.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

That certainly suggests the premise for a comparison test using the same bins in a Production vs. Project.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm running a 3960X with 128GB of RAM and a 2080Ti.

I've at times had more than twenty bins from probably 8 or nine different projects open at the same time. Running sequences in the timeline panel from 4 or 5 different projects. Several of them multicam, many with captions active.

Media runs to mostly a lot of BRAW, some ProRes, other general mov and some H.264/5 stuff. A few Red clips, some Sony XAVC, including from A7sIII and drone. Some other things as I test a lot of wide-ranging media.

Plus graphics from the EGP in every project and sequence.

And never had any laggy behavior.

Now ... the longest individual sequence is like 20 or 22 minutes, so they're not the hour-plus ones.

Just for data. For comparison.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines