A7s III 4:2:2 choppy and stuttering playback on premiere pro 2022 (can't fix)

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! So, first of all, my pc specs:

Windows 10 pro

intel i9 10900 2.8ghz

RTX 3080

32GB Ram DDR4

The problem:

I recently bought a a7s III and I'm using the 4:2:2 10 bit 4K 120fps XAVC-S h.264 format. And thats the problem. I CANT run the video preview in premiere (I tried to go back to 15.4.1 but its the same for me). The video lags a lot, sometimes it freezes, than come back afterwards. But I never never can see a smooth timeline, and this is killing my work. I already edited Red Komodo and Blackmagic 6k (at 6k) resolution and it was smooth. Please, I need help, cant work and deliver like this, its a mess!

I will post here a video of the problem, bc I tried to upload in here but it doesnt upload, do here is a google drive link in case you guys need it

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oV9No42uQ8jBuDMrUN4_YZRUVhOh7ch7?usp=sharing

Things I already tried:

- Format the PC

- use a old version of premiere

- I tried to use on my macbook (i9 10900 16gb ram) and its kind of like this too, not so choppy but terrible too.

- using the High Quality Playback settings

- using on 1, 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 playback quality

Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That rig just can't produce 120 frames per second of H.264 playback. The larger formats you specified almost certainly were in intra-frame codecs, where every frame is complete by itself, simply compressed.

The H.264/long-GOP codec works by only making a complete frame every 10-30 'actual' frames, and in-between, it stores a matrix or chart of the pixels that 1) have changed since the last complete or " i-frame " ... or 2) will change before the next i-frame ... or 3) both.

So the computer has to decompress and decode a bunch of frames at the same time simply to play each frame. Vastly higher computer resource demand.

And it's hard enough for 'normal' speed work, 24-30fps. You're running this at 120 fps! Yea, it's a ton of load on the computer.

You will probably need to make proxies of those clips to get smooth playback ... do say half-resolution Cineform or ProRes proxies, they'll play back so much better.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it! So, to make this proxies, i do it as Quicktime? in proxy tab? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, mr R Neil Haugen, do you think that if I make an upgrade, will I be able to run this? or there isn't a cpu or rig that can sustain this much info?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

120fps H.264 media is simply nasty stuff to edit from. I can't think of anything that would necessarily guarantee easy editing.

Some of the colorists I know simply transcode anything of this sort they get. On truly monster hardware with high-speed RAIDs and 256GB of RAM, massive GPU setups.

So having Premiere make ProRes or Cineform proxies would be the easier course.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to tried Quick Sync instead of Nvenc? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm facing the same problem. Sony files with subscrediting - 4:2:2 10 Bit 200 Mb, does not work smoothly in Premiere. And that's the trouble. More and more often we have to work with such a video format for client requests. Now 4K is becoming almost the main dominance of content in social networks. And 10-bit formats are increasingly coming and soon, if the situation is not corrected, Premiere will stall.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines