Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adding caption crash premiere

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello every one, 

I have a big problem here, when i'm writing my caption text, whenever i wirte the word "fi", the program close immediately and give a crash report tab.

Can you help me guys??

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give us more information on your system, your footage, and project/sequence settings...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-what-information-should-i-provide-when-a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using MacOs Monterey 12.4  

Adobe premiere pro v22.5

there are my crash report image and the sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realised that isn't only the letter i after f "fi", but also the letter "l" after f "fl"

But only in lower case, because I tried writing uppercase and didnt crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such letter combinations are called "ligatures." I don't recall any report of such crashes. I suspect a bad font. Which font are you using?

First try turning off ligatures (so it will not combine the 2 letters). In the captions track  header, right click -> Track Settings. Uncheck "Ligatures" under Styling Options.

Or you can try a font that does not support ligatures.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure which fonts do and do not include ligatures. Fonts can come in many variations, and my tests were not consistent. Also, I am on Windows. I'd go with turning them off.

But in my quick tests, with ligatures "on," fonts that show ligatures included Times New Roman, Calibri, and Minion Pro. Fonts that did not were Arial and Courier New.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for cluttering this, but this is as good a thread as any for reporting my current ligature tests.

There are 3 places to set ligatures in PR 22.5, one of which applies to Captions. These have probably been in PR versions since 2021, but perhaps some were added/modified in more recent releases.

1 - Graphics (vs captions) text properties in the Essential Graphics Panel: in each instance of text, the actual appearance of a ligature is determined by the properties of that text. In the Essential Graphics Panel, in the Text section, there is a "wrench" icon. It includes a text box for Ligatures. This setting applies to all text in the EGP "layer," but each layer in an EGP instance can have its own setting.

Interestingly, a "style" created in the EGP does NOT include the ligature setting. To apply the ligature setting to multiple layers in an EGP, you must select the layers, then use the wrench icon.

And if you select multiple instances of graphics text in the timeline, you do not have access to any of these settings. I can't see any way to fix multiple instances in one go.

2 - Default Graphics Preference: Edit -> Preferences -> Graphics -> Text Styling -> Ligatures. This applies as the default to new graphics (vs captions) text, but does NOT change text that is already in the project. It has no effect on Caption text.

3 - Captions: In the captions track header, right click -> Track Settings. There is a checkbox for "Ligatures" under Styling Options. As a track setting, this applies to all captions in the track. Different tracks can have different settings. Caption track STYLE does not apply a ligature setting.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines