Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjustment Layer is not working!

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a serious issue with the adjustment layer fea

whener i make a new adjustment layer and try to apply a preset or new setting on it, it’s not responding or reflecting at all as example I applied a transation preset on the adjustment layer but still the timeline goes on as it’s not even excite

anyone can help? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the preset is applied to the 'Motion' properties, this will not take effect on the layers under an Adjustment Layer. For 'Position', 'Scale', 'Opacity' and 'Rotation' properties to work on adjustment layers, a 'Transform' Effect needs to be applied to the adjustment layer, and those properties should be adjusted in the Transform Effect properties not in the Motion properties. This will take effect on all the layers under the Adjustment Layer.

You can also apply the preset you have directly on the clip, it will work. If your clip already has other effects or presets applied and that was why you are using an adjustment layer, you can also nest that clip and apply the preset to the nested sequence of your clip.

You have many options, it all depends on how your workflow is structured

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only the following properties: motion, opacity, time remapping. Missing "Transform effect" properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved my problem! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnank you for the concise answer. Would you or anyone be able to explain why Adobe decided to implement it this way? It's pretty counter-intuitive for Motion and Opacity to not work in an adjustment layer. It seems like the adjustment layer just isn't working. Why are these effect special and require a separate effect to be added when the adjustment layer already has Motion and Opacity? I don't understand the thinking behind it.

If they are going to do it this way, then why not make the effects section of a blank adjustment layer completely empty - as in not including Motion and Opacity effects since they don't do anything anyway.

Thanks!

-Alterius

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An adjustment layer is a specialized effect in and of itself. Which is something that isn't "intuitive" or obvious. It doesn't exist in "reality", not at all like a clip of media. It's sort of like a special "nest" of effects.

So it isn't at all in use ... or code ... like having a clip that you put effects on. Which by code is a very, very different thing.

I had an engineer explain this to me one time. It's a bit puzzling to work with. And to understand, certainly. There are major differences between how effects on a clip and how effects on an AL work behind the scenes

And it's one of numerous bits of PrPro that don't really have a full and clear explanation anywhere I know of.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nesting the sequence fixed this for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this advice is really helpful, thank you for helping me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transitions are best applied directly to clips.  Effects are normally what you'd apply to an AL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends on the workflow, sometimes we apply effects or presets to a clip, then we want to add other

effects to create seamless transitions or so ... in such cases we apply some of the effects straight to the clip,

then we apply the other ones to an adjustment layer, or we nest the clip and apply other ones ... The user does

not give us enough details about the workflow to be able to give accurate answers. If they are using video effects

presets created using the 'Motion' properties, these will not work on adjustment layers. In this case, the preset has

to be recreated using the 'Transform' Video Effect and save the Transform preset properties. If as they state that

nothing happens on the adjustment layer, then most likely that they are adjusting the Motion properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I'm a beginner using AE for one specific text effect so I don't know how/why this worked but I recreated an adjustment layer, first clicking on the initial layer that I wanted to adjust and then adding the adjustment layer and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with AfterEffects?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The presets i use are made to be applied on the adjustment layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share screenshots or a small video recording ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anders,

The Transform effect is in the Effects list. Just type "trans " in the search box at the top, under Video Effects the Transform effect will be visible. Drag/drop that to the AL. Make changes for scale, rotation, skew and other things on the Transform effect in the ECP.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I have already used the Transform effect in my respective adjustment layers, but they still don't seem to work. However, only the Adjustment layers in 1 specific track (V3 in my case) doesn't work - the rest of the adjustment layers do. I tried making a new track and pasting the Adjustment layers over, but it still does not seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all.

I believe I may have a solution to this. I was having the same problem as most in this thread page, where my adjustment layer wasn't actually adjusting the layers beneath. I was trying to make a simple scale up of the layers beneath it, but nothing was happening. 

As mentioned, you have to apply the 'Transform' effect on an adjustment layer to do what I am trying to do. With that in mind, it still wouldn't work. I eventually noticed that in the 'Motion' section of my effects panel for the adjustment layer, the scale was, by default, set to 0. Once I scaled my adjustment layer up to 100, i.e the size of my frame, the effects of the 'Transform' effect then took place, and worked.

I hope this helps some of you, and apologies if it isn't the solution. It's quite a subtle one. All the best, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Izaacmark,

A screengrab of your timeline showing the header block and the Effects Control Panel for the track not working would be useful ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Togehter,

i have a serious issue with the adjustment layer.

I want to preperare a zoom transition in the adjustment layer. So I need my adjustment layer to be able to

change the scale by setting keyframes. However no matter which clips I set below the adjustment layer

the scale of my clip is not changing at all...

I already created a bunch of new layers without any other effects active in the layer... nothing happens.

Is there anything I need to take care of to make my adjustment layer to be able to change the scale of clips below?

Please help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Lindav, 

I once had the same issue but it's nothing technical or complicated. 

To do things like this with adjustment layers, you must apply the 'Transform' effect to the adjustment layer, and operate with that.

It feels weird doing this, but it'll become natural quickly. I hope that solves it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines