Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Adobe Premiere Freezes when indexing media cache

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the project is opened I see the bar in the bottom right of the screen moving. I usually have to wait a minute or two for Premiere to index everything (at least this is what I think it’s doing). It gives a file directory and a number of clips remaining. I notice that when it does this the original media is replaced by the transcoded media I‘ve linked it to. Today when I went to open the project it started indexing the media but it kept freezing. The number of clips remaining was higher than before. Normally there are thousands of clips, around 8,000 it has to index and it doesn’t take any longer than five minutes. Today however there were ove 14,000 clips. It started indexing and then froze before it could finish. In fact, every single time I’ve tried opening the project it freezes before it finishes indexing everything. I even left it for an hour and came back to see if that would make a difference, but there were no new developments. I had to force quit and try again.

I’ve tried deleting the media cache and trying again. I’ve tried opening the project on an internal drive, as it was on an external drive before. I’ve tried updating my NVIDA. Now I’m attempting to open a backup of the project from a few days ago, but the same thing is happening.

Yesterday I was working with it just fine. I’ll admit I’m working on an old MacBook Pro with only 8GB of RAM, but I’ve been able to work with all the footage provided it’s transcoded. Sometimes it’s slow but I’ve never been stuck waiting for The program to index all of my footage.

Any help would be great as I’ve already lost one day of work trying to fix this and would like to have at least one day off this weekend.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After opening PP, but before opening your project, delete your media cache files. Then open your project. I have to do this as a matter of course. Not sure why, but it works for me.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're on a Mac, FYI: 16GB of RAM is the recommend minimum if you're using CC2022

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines