Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Multi GPU

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a computer connected to it 5 video cards nvidea through PCI Express

Is there any way to render video using multi gpu?

[Moved from the non-technical Lounge to the specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Better load balancing across multiple GPUs, including eGPUs, provides faster rendering and exporting, especially with professional codecs, like Apple ProRes, RED, and others - on both macOS and Windows.

Note: These load balancing changes do not affect playback, which does not use multiple GPUs.

Have a look at the Performance tab in your task manager whilst doing a render to see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then I can’t understand why the rendering on one video card differs from the rendering on 6 video cards in just a couple of minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU is not used for general encoding within Premiere, but only for the things on the GPU Accelerated Effects List ... the most important hardware for export/render is your CPU/RAM pairing ... as close to or above 10 cores, as close to or above 4Ghz as possible, with as close to 10GB of RAM per core as possible.

Then ... as the CPU gets to bits that will use the GPU, it sends things to the GPU to do for it, then takes them from the GPU and includes them in its own computing.

Main things on the list are things like color, Warp, major resizing ...

Neil

GPU Accelerated Effects: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/effects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not now! GPU can do instead of CPU if your hardware and configurations can handle it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Within any application, the computer's resources are utilized as to how the developers have coded that to be done. GPUs can't simply replace a CPU, they don't use even similar code or math, they are very different pieces of hardware. Each takes its specific code to function.

And within Premiere, what the GPU is used for are the things on that GPU Accelerated list.

Yes, it's good they're getting more stuff coded for GPUs. Yes, it would be good if they could use multiple GPUs.

But ain't nothing you can use the GPU instead of a CPU just 'cause. It has to be coded, and the CPU has to call on the GPU for working a specific task. The CPU is the central processing core of any computer.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to select which GPU winds up being used for playback or does that happen automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the render is only slightly quicker?

There are many factors affecting rendering speed, including disk speed, codec types, configuration. Using 6 GPUs won't make it 6x faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe so but someone with a bit more knowledge on the internal engineering side might be able to chip in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to figure out the following: should I upgrade my GPU in my MacPro to a lesser-performing one, albeit metal "compatible" so I can move to Mojave or should I leave things as is?  If I were to upgrade, the current GPU would go in one of the slots in my PCI expansion chassis.  I just want to be sure that Premiere Pro can address it properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines