Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro Automatically Crops Source Video Upon Import

Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really confusing me and I've never had this kind of trouble before.  I have source videos that are 720x480, but as soon as I import them into Premiere, they are cropped to 540x480.  It's not a problem with sequence settings or anything, because the imported source file is cropped before it's even in a sequence.  I tried looking on-line for a solution, but couldn't find any.  Does anyone know how this can be fixed...maybe some import settings that I don't know about?

Here are some screenshots to visually represent what I was saying:

This is properties of the videoWorkouts.jpg

This is what Premiere automatically does right after the video is imported as a sourcePrtScr capture.jpg

This is a screenshot when played with VLC:Adobe Premiere Pro - MVideo ProjectsFreshman Outreach 2013Promo Video.prproj .jpg

This is a screenshot when played from the source in Premiere:PrtScr capture_2.jpg

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  This video is due Saturday and all my footage is cropped, please help me.  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Premiere does not support .MOD files. Never has. If they worked in the past, you were lucky.

Changing the extentie to mpg might work or else convert. (even heard mts and avi)

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gilles.bihan/converio_095.htm

Have seen this before with someone who wanted to use .MOD files in CC.

I have a few .MOD files and tested it in CC and yes they get cropped.

Good alternative for these files would be Adobe Elements.

or file a bugreport.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2015 Feb 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I which that were true.

I still see this issue.

There is no febr. 2015 update, last update was released dec. 2014.

I dont think all vob's are prone to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, absolutely wrong. CC CROPS it, you cannot scale it back, you will distort the cropped image is all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

freddyphoesh wrote:

No, absolutely wrong. CC CROPS it, you cannot scale it back, you will distort the cropped image is all.

Correct! Surfdude has an different issue which has nothing to do with the issue this thread is all about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed a workaround that will work for me to avoid the cropping issue.

I imported into Premiere Elements 11. For some reason Prem Elements 11 doesn't crop the .MOD file.

Dragged all the clips on to the timeline. Exported the footage to a .MOV.

Then imported the new .MOV into Prem Pro CC2014 and modified the clip to PAL DV Widescreen.

Took me a while to figure this out.

NOT sure if Prem Elements 12 or 13 will do this, but Prem Elements 11 is currently helping with this problem/issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a work-around if you are using a PC.

Insert your .MOD files into Windows Live Movie Maker (free to download) and export the file in a .wmv format. Then use the .wmv files in Premiere Pro CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advice, I was having the same problem with one of my video clips. Converting it to WMV solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem!

My MP4 files have been getting cropped about an inch or so from the real border.

SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO ANNOYING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to convert them with HandBrake first.

See if that will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have had the same problem with Premiere CC in 2105, importing an MPG file.

zu9tz.jpg

11rrqzq.jpg

I SOLVED!

by importing the file with Media Encoder CS6 or by using the free program Avidemux and export it to MOV (lossless) and then re-import it into Premiere CC2015.

Media Encoder CS6

64jsrc.jpg

Avidemux

kbvuah.jpg

.. Or simply rename the file to .avi

Evidence of these facts I think probably we can talk of "bug" in Media Encoder CC2015 and consequently both Premiere and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically I am technologically impaired. I am having all of these problems and I honestly have no idea what to do to fix it. It looks like you solved the puzzle, but I cannot understand the foreign language that is tech talk. My project is due tomorrow and I have NO idea where to start... HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download Premiere CS6 and make you project in cs6

You cannot solve this in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I've been trying to import an old family film (.avi) in Premiere Pro CC 2017, but the aspect ratio of the imported file is altered. The aspect ratio of the source file is 4:3 (see screenshot below: left side), the aspect ratio of the imported file is 16:9 (right side). I added a screenshot of both. What do I need to do to import without Premiere changing the aspect ratio? I've been looking for an answer on several forums but didn't manage to find a solution.

aspect ratio.JPG

Can you please help me out with this?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings Johan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click the clip in Project Bin and select Modify > Interpret Footage

Then you will be able to change the Pixel Aspect Ratio, selecting from the drop-down menu

For PAL, use 1.094, or 0.9 for NTSC footage

EDIT: You can highlight multiple-clips and change them all at one time

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solves my problem. SAFEHARBOR11 You're my hero!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No!!! Changing pixel aspect ratio makes zero difference to the Premiere/AME cropping bug.

Changing the pixel aspect ratio from DV widescreen to DV PAL simply squashes the already cropped image.

You can see the shot on the left, playback from VLC player, the knees of the person are seen... on the left image they are cropped out.

pixel aspect ratio change makes zero difference to crop bug.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have CC subscription: download CS6 and 'convert' to dv-avi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

Yeah I do, and I've filed a bug on the beta group too.

tx

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this same issue with VOB files copied from a video_ts folder on DVDs.

I've just tried using Media Encoder instead - same issue in the export preview window there with the right side being cropped, so I don't think that will work.

Using handbrake worked though. I guess I'll have to re-encode everything in handbrake, which will take hours!

Not impressed at all for my first time using Premiere, I figured an expensive product like this would wouldn't have such a silly bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I figured an expensive product like this would wouldn't have such a silly bug."

.vob files are not meant to be edited - should be FINAL delivery on a DVD. That said, I've never had cropping issues with .vob files myself and am glad I could import them into Premiere. I would question the source - was DVD made with a stand-alone DVD recorder? If so, that might explain it, they may be a little different.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue today, with a DVD recorded with a DVD recorder. I found 2 solutions after I copied the VOB on my computer:

1. Import the VOB file in Premiere CS6 and it will work;

2. Use VLC (free software) and convert the VOB into mp4 or another file type/codec and then import the new file in your CC...

If you have CS6 it's a better solution, you will lose less quality on encoding. You don't need to encode 2 times the same files. But if you don't have CS6, then you have to re-encode your VOB with VLC or another free/paid software... Your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines