• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere spacebar stop and start lags

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have adobe Premire 2023 running on a dedicated HPZ8 Windows PC with Nvidia Quadro5000 GPU and 192 gigs of Ram. I am constanly havving issues (i think are related to the Nvidia GPU) with playing and stopping playback on the timeline. I happens after about 5 minuutes of editing. The cursor continues to move even after hitting spacebar. This is most frustrating as I have spen hours reinstalling premiere, resetting windows rolling back Nvidia drivers, trying different keyboards... and the list goes on and on. 

I have also had toplevel Adobe support and they can't seem to find the iussues. I have read on these forums that this is an ongoing bug with Adobe Premeire and Nvidia Graphics.

I am seriously considering a different video editing proigram and possibly migrating to a Mac.

I spent two hours today with adobe chat support and did everything suggested: resetting preferences, clearing caches, rolling back Nvidia drivers. Support told me they are looking for perfect Nvidia driver but haven't found it yet...

I primarily edit long form concert multicam video projects (typically two cameras) using MOV footage recorded on Atomos Ninjas.

Looking for ideas and suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Thanks

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the Quadro, that was preferred some years ago, but not anymore I don't think.

What processor are you running, with all that memory! 🙂 What is the footage? Is it ProRes, HD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its an HP Xeon workstation class.

the footage is two streams of HD in ProRes LT.

WE have a Mac Studio running in our audio room and I loaded premire on it. Runs rings around the HP!

Very frustrated as this machine was specced by HP specifically to run Premiere.

Open to any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not agree more. We having very big issues. On every editing station, Proxy hires.. 2 cams and 10 cams all same, after a while  Start /stop doesnt work any more. Only a restart of Adobe  can fix it . This is really horrible: it is on 23.1 -23.2 and the beta version.. all same issue. after a while somethimes short or long it just stops working. Stop can be a delay of 6seconds or the whole timeline because it keeps playing.  We had AJA, but disable mercuty playback gives same issue ..  we out of toughts, we changes settings, went to ASIO to MME, we resetted profiles, Adobe, clean install all.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like exact same issues I am having. We also have a Mac Stuido (M1) in our audio room with another Adobe CC seat. I loaded Premiere on the Mac and editied multicamera video with no issues. There are some serious issues with Nvidia graphics cards that are not being addressed. Once the "Start/Stop" bug happens, nothing else works. I can't scroll timeline, choose any of the edit tools, or close any windows until Premiere stops playing back on its own. It is almost like a data buffer fills up and clogs the control process. I wonder if it is usb related as all of my control things (keyboard, mouse, tangent color controller, and Monogram Palette controller are USB... Adobe please help fix this isssue once and for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have alos no clue at the moment, where it comes from. We can see that it is always triggerd when put Program in multicam view.  Also something found out: In the timeline: in the timeline track if audio meters enabled and you press expand tracks: it blocks . If we go to audio header and remove the audio meters , works beter. So looks like there multiple triggers on this. We just had reports : somebody working alday multicam. no issue. Now at 3pm the issue is there and from then on crash after crash. pffff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that we are troubleshooting this issue for Adobe... But I want to get it fixed as I do a lot of multi-cam projects (longform 1 hour concert videos). So far today... I built a new project, 2-cameras, All video files ProRes LT, external recorded audio track 48 K Wav. I created a sequence called Set-2 and import two video tracks with scratch audio and one "mixed" audio track. I line everything up using sync points created during filming. Next I select the video tracks and create a nested sequence. I enable Multicam on the nested sequence and save it. In the program monitor window, I click the wrench and turn on Multicamera. (Note: there used to be an icon for multicamera in the toolbar below the program monitor, but it is gone on the windows machine...) I start to edit using Number Keys on keyboard to select camera and spacebar to play and stop. After about 3 minutes of editing, I start getting the lag issues. They start slowly but quickly escalate until the program crashes. I have to shut down and restart premiere. I am also constantly saving the project after every four or five edits. the frustrating thing is a project that I can edit in a couple hours now takes all day!!

OK ADOBE, here are at least two customers who are experiencing the same issue.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tool on toolbar is still there : press the "+" sign and you can add it. Do you have a transmit device ? BMD or AJA ?  Is the hardware on ASIO or MME ? MME works beter and put it on NO input . Playbeack on AJA or desntop audio? You on a sever or on local Hard disk ? or direct attached ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click the + sign to add it, it does not appear in my button choices... (It does on the Mac Studio).

I have Transmit turned off. I have ASIO hardware, but I have diabled it and am using the PC's internal "RealTek" audio device for monitoring set for MME and Input turned off. Don't use AJA. playback is on edit monitor (32" LG displayport connection). Project is on its own 1TB SSD. USB-C conneciton to Computer.

I am seriously looking to purchase a new Mac Studio and get rid of the HP as. I have had a lot of issues with it and Adobe Premiere. (Nvidia Quadro 5000 seems to be the culprit.) If you read earlier posts in this thread, it appears that Quadro was the choice, but no longer. Sad as I have investment in Quadro GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my new editing workflow is Start Premiere... Load the prject... Edit for three minutes.... when lag starts, save and shut down Premiere..... Repeat. At this rate it will take me two days to edit a one hour concert set. 

Gee Avid Media Composer is starting to look better and better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you guys are having these issuse. Sounds aweful. Maybe @Kevin-Monahan can make a suggestion. Also, if you want to see some good hardware testing for PP, AE, Etc and plenty of recent and past articles, check over at Puget: https://www.pugetsystems.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my latest update.... And I AM NOT HAPPY WITH ADOBE PREMIRE!!

I took the project over to our Mac Studio. Loaded Premiere and started to edit. This is a simple two camera multicam project. Everything was working fine for about an hour. Then little by little the start/stop playback issues came back. On the Mac I noticed the timeline cursor would "stutter" and the timecode window would would not increment time. This is the most recent build of Premiere. 

I am so frustrated with Adobe and this known issue that they are not fixing that I am now seriously starting to look at alternative video editing software. As a long time Adobe usere and supporter, I am thourouly disappointed with the buggy releases ever since the 2019 versions and the lack of customer support to solve these issues.

ADOBE FIX THESE BUGS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ssavanyu-PC,

Here is my latest update.... And I AM NOT HAPPY WITH ADOBE PREMIRE!!

I am so frustrated with Adobe and this known issue that they are not fixing that I am now seriously starting to look at alternative video editing software. As a long time Adobe usere and supporter, I am thourouly disappointed with the buggy releases ever since the 2019 versions and the lack of customer support to solve these issues.

ADOBE FIX THESE BUGS!!!

By @Ssavanyu-PC

FYI, Adobe developers on the Premiere Pro team do not read this user-to-user forum. It's for getting support from colleagues, like yourself. If you need to vent, or speak off topic, please do so here instead.

You need to file a bug here to address the Premiere Pro team. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the Rant, but I was under tight deadline to complete this project.

Everyone here has been very helpful and Adobe reached out to me with some positive information.

I still am concerned about issues with Nvidia quadro 5000 GPU and overall performance of the 8-year old HP Z8.

I have been looking at the new Mac Studio as a replacement. Any comments from the knowledgeable folks in the community on optimal configuration of this machine? It will be dedicated for Video and After Effects projects. 

Thanks again for all of your assisitance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't the hardware 🙂 we are on AMD threadrippers , 128 gig ram , 4000 nvidea card and we have issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,   we are in contact with enginering, and have conference call on this for VRT on friday. 

I added comments to see if this is a specific VRT issue or is world wide issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All. Here is the latest on this issue.

It appears to be tied to the Multicamera view in the program monitor.

I downloaded the most recent Beta Version of Premiere. I also installed the latest Nvidia Driver Update (3-23-23) from Nvidia (Clean install).

I used an exisiting Multicam project (2 cameras, outboard audio file.). 

When you open the multicam display window the spacebar will start playback ffine. However once started you can NOT stop it. If you try and click on the "stop" button in the program monitor, you get a white screen flash and nothing happens. the only way to stop playbak is to close Premiere. 

Note: I finished the project last night using my Mac Studio so I'm no longer under deadline and am available for in depth testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm off deadline so I dove into this issue witha scientific troubleshooting approach... Here is an update on what I found....and it is a wierd one...

It appears to be tied to the other view choices (Multicamera, Comparison, Alpha) in the program monitor settings.

To test this, I downloaded the most recent Beta Version of Premiere. I also installed the latest Nvidia Driver Update (3-23-23) from Nvidia (Clean install) for my Quadro 5000 card.

I used an exisiting Multicam project (2 cameras, outboard audio file.). It consists of a nested sequence enabled for Multicam editing, two scratch audio tracks and the "external Mix" audio track. This is my normal multicam workflow.

I used the wrench to select Multicamera view for the program monitor. 

With the multicam display window open, pressing the spacebar will start playback normally. However once started  playback does NOT stop when the spacebar is pressed. Also, if you try and click on the "stop" button in the program monitor, you get a white screen flash and nothing happens. The only way to stop playbak is to wait for about 20 seconds for it to eventually stop... or close Premiere.  I also noted that when it started playing, I could not select camera views using keyboard or mouse.

So, once it finally stopped, I went to the wrench in Program monitor, and selected "Composite Video". Now the spacebar Play/Stop appears to act normally. FYI, if I select anything other than Composite view for the source Monitor I have the Playback issues. When Composite View is selected there is about a 2-3 frame lag after I press the spacebar to stop playback.

On a side note, there used to be a way to add the multicamera view button in the Program monitor tool bar. But it is no longer there. So, to turn on Multi-camera view, I click the wrench and select it in the drop down menu. 

Note: I finished the project last night using my Mac Studio so I'm no longer under deadline and am available for in depth testing.  (I beta test for other organizations and am familiar with tessting and documenting the process.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuing with my in-depth testing...

I opened latest public release of Premire (23.2.0_Build 69).  I loaded the same multicam project outlined in my previous post.

With this version of Premiere in multicam view, the Spacebar Play/Stop worked for about three minutes (I am timing it) and than started to experience the stop lag issue. I also noted that switching from camera to camera using the keyboard would lag after about three minutes of editing. (In my multicam music projects I switch on the beat, so I need accurate switching...) I next tried selecting camera views with the mouse and had same lag issue.

The other thing I noticed is if I stop editing for a few momnets (so I can update my post here) and go back to editing, things work fine for a minute and then the playback/stop and camera selection issues start up again.

Hopefully this is a good scientific approach to help Adobe get to the root of the Play/Stop multicam edit issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Ssavanyu-PC ,

This sounds enormousely irritating. See if this workaround might work for you: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/timeline-window-not-updating-until-hitting-p...

Let us know. Sorry for the continued issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: I just tried it with a multicam and couldn't get it to happen. (3 cams, AVC footage, also was switching to cineform proxies). Someone mentioned on one of these threads that working with a project in List the was no problem. List and Icon view seemed to work OK, in Freeform view, whenever the mouse went to another clip, playback on the timeline stopped. This didn't happen in Icon view.

8 years of a Windows install sounds not very good. I doubt I've ever gone that long. My scientific way of doing this would be to get a nice SSD, Samsung 1TB internal for $65.00 on B&H right now. Put Windows 11 and Nvidia of course (clean install, drivers ONLY) on it and PP and nothing else execpt your project, and see what you get. Leave all the HP stuff off it for the test. That's what I would do if I can't find anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MyerPj,

I have been in contact with Kevin and have done som in-depth testing on this issue (I finished the deadline project first...). It appears to be related to Nvidia Quadro graphics cards (Non RTX versions) and multicam ediitng. I found that on the HP (Quadro P5000 GPU) I had the issues only if the Multicamera Window was open and I was editing a nested multicam sequence. Regular projects where I assembled groups of clips, tex elements and graphic elements worked fine even with multiple video and audio tracks. 

To confirm my theory, I pulled out our Lenovo Legion5 gaming laptop used with our livstream setup. It has an Intel Core i7 11800H processor and an Nvidia Geoforce RTX cuda enabled graphics card (NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti Laptop GPU 8GB GDDR6). For grins, I installed Premiere on the Lenovo, connected the SSD with the multicam project and opened Premiere. With the Multicam window open, I had NO ISSUES with the Play/Stop spacebar lag. In fact I could rapidly switch from camera to camera as fast as I could press the "#1 and #2 keys on the keyboard (3 frame strobo edits!). I editied heavily for 30 minute with no issues. Another editor I work with was also having playback issues on his PC. He also loaded Premire and his project on an ACER gaming laptop and edited with no issues...

Followup... I did some research on the Quadro Graphics card vs. the GeoForce card. From what I could find on the web it appears that although the Quadro Card is designed for high resolution Cad, Graphics editing, drawing, and can drive multiple high resolution monitors, it is nat as good as the GeoForce RTX gaming graphics card for Video and streaming...

I have had issues in the past with Quadro graphics cards on the HP Z8 and other HP machines (not all related to Adobe Apps).

Lots of good info here to work through, and I think the folks a Adobe are looking into it.

I have some open time between projects so I am available to try things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that info and follow up. On the first post here I tried to be gentle when saying it was probably the Quadro. Somewhere along the line I had read, maybe over at Puget that there were issues with it. I try to figure out what most of the Adobe guys are probably testing with. They did go with Cuda cores sometime ago, with an actually anouncement. So, I've always stuck with Nvidia, and there's certainly a lot more of us on Geforce rather than Quadro. I'm still sporting a GTX, not even an RTX, and it's working fine. I'd be happy to upgrade, but the prices are not worth it to me (yet).

Good Work! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
I have used Quadro series cards in HP workstation PCs as they were the “professional “ advanced GPU cards. As I got into more advanced editing projects and multi cam work I started seeing weird issues. I figured it was a driver or software issue and found work arounds. Every time I upgraded to a betterPC, I naturally went for the Quadro series cards with more GPU ram, etc.
Editing the same project on the Lenovo Gamers laptop (Geoforce GPU) or the Mac Studio confirmed my theory. Hopefully this info will help others having similar issues.
Since the HP is over six years old, I’m going to get a Mac  Studio Ultra and sell the HP. Now to find a scientist, 3D modeler, CAD designer, or analyst who needs a powerful pc. 😺😺😂😂🦔🦔

Glad to be a part of the Adobe Community. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

Will you all please in the timeline disable the audio meters in the Audio tracks.

If you activate them and expand all tracks you get ALWAYS into trouble.

We had a long talk with Adobe enginering and there looking into this.

For us if you look at taks manager it looks like overloading some CPU cores every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines