• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Thumbnail - how to's and any other helpful advice

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Adobe Premiere, and I have been tasked with creating a thank you video for employees.  I created the video in Adobe Rush, but it exports to mp4 using a thumbnail that I want to change.  Therefore, I googled how to create a thumbnail in Rush only to discover there's not a way to do that, but it is possible to do in Adobe Premiere.  

Next, I uploaded my project to Premiere, and I watched several YouTube videos about creating a thumbnail.  I was able to make the thumbnail that I want.  However, I am still confused on how to reattach the thumbnail to my original video, so that when I export it, it will export with the thumbnail that I selected.

I am a beginner with all of these products.  Does anyone have a link to a video that will show me how to do it?  Or, is anyone able to list some easy step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

PLEASE help me!

Thanks in advance,

Shelly

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advocate , Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

So you've made the thumbnail in an mp4 format or a png/jpg? You can't really change the thumbnail of a mp4 file. If you want to upload it to YouTube, there is a little button where you can upload a thumbnail on the interface. also, id recommend making thumbnails in photoshop 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

As @Jqke said, you can't change the thumbnail of a video because those are intepreted by the video player or hosting service. So if you're on macOS then Finder is going to pick a different frame than Explorer on Windows; Twitter will pull a frame that's five seconds into your video; YouTube will give you multiple options but also allows a custom upload; Adobe Portfolio pulls a frame right from the middle of your video (something I'm not a fan of); so it completely depends on where your video wil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you've made the thumbnail in an mp4 format or a png/jpg? You can't really change the thumbnail of a mp4 file. If you want to upload it to YouTube, there is a little button where you can upload a thumbnail on the interface. also, id recommend making thumbnails in photoshop 

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will try to use PhotoShop today and see what happens.  Fingers crossed 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Jqke said, you can't change the thumbnail of a video because those are intepreted by the video player or hosting service. So if you're on macOS then Finder is going to pick a different frame than Explorer on Windows; Twitter will pull a frame that's five seconds into your video; YouTube will give you multiple options but also allows a custom upload; Adobe Portfolio pulls a frame right from the middle of your video (something I'm not a fan of); so it completely depends on where your video will be hosted or played back.

How will this file be shared with employees? Will it be hosted on an intranet site or will people be sent something like an unlisted YouTube link? Unless a video is embedded, most people don't even see thumbnails or poster frames anymore since nearly all video autoplays on page load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

The video will be hosted on the employee intranet site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. In that case, the thumbnail will be entirely dependent on the intranet's video player, so you'll have to upload a test file to see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much David!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish we could choose the opening thumbnail in Premiere Pro. It randomly chooses a thumbnail that has nothing to do with the video content (a wall!!).  I know we can change it in YouTube, etc. But for some applications, I cannot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Videos don't determine what their thumbnails are because they them, it's the players that do this. In the case of YouTube, it's randomly picking a frame and saving it as an image that's being shown as part of the player. This file is completely separate from your video file; the same goes for if you upload a custom thumbnail, it's an image, not an actual part of the mp4 or mov you upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines