• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After update (premiere 2022) no open cl to be found, only metal.

New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating from premiere 2020 to the current and latest updated version of premiere 2022, the performance went down so much that it became unworkable at this point. I'm running Catalina on a 2017 iMac. With older versions, usually this low of a perfomance meant that "metal" was selected in the video, renderer and playback menu, meaning the GPU (Radeon) in the iMac was not adressed by premiere. In order to get full performance out of the imac I had to select opencl (deprecated) for premiere to use the GPU. After the update the opencl option is not there anymore in the menu. I'm stuck with metal or software only and that won't be an option. I can't even play 4k material on an empty timeline anymore.

I've tried to find some documentation on the subject but I can't seem to find much. It's only been mentioned here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-2022-not-using-my-radeon-pro-20-gpu...

For unkown reasons it was fixed so I didnt learn anything. I've asked my question there where Neil Haugen gave an answer that apple did a update which meant you can't select opencl anymore? If I understand correctly this would mean apple is blocking there own users for there own graphics cards? If this would be true there would be an outrage online so I believe I'm not understanding this correctly since I can't seem to find anything about it.

Anybody here that can help? This won't be a reason to buy a new system (if that would be a sollution), this system is perfectly good for the coming years. And since jobs are coming up I'm already looking for different software which is crazy because premiere normally works perfect for me.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has pushed hard on all vendors to "deprecate" OpenCL in favor of Metal. And  yea, that's a total pain on a rig like yours.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that's why you want to keep earlier os versions available if at all possible.  Apple makes this difficult but you can usually find earlier os versions if you're persistent.    If you have a large enough internal hard drive you can partition it with more than one OS.  For my 2012 macbookpro I have an external solid state drive with high sierra (I think, it may be sierra) on it which I can boot off of.  Not ideal but it works...  I occasoinally have to open fcp7 and dvdsp which will not run in later os's.  And sometimes need to run adobe encore which also doesn't run in later os's.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines