• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All footage is suddenly horizontally squashed

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I opened a project I haven't worked on in a while. And suddenly, all the footage in the project is ever-so-slightly horizontally squashed, so a thin black lower letterbox appears on every clip. This was not the case until I opened the project today.

It's not just some issue with the timeline previews. If I view the source files in my bins, they also have the black bar at the bottom. But: the original files themselves are absolutely fine: no squashing; no black bar. It's only when I import them into Premiere that the squashing occurs.

I've checked sequence settings, project settings, Premiere preferences... all fine, all unchanged from the last time I opened the project. Frame size and pixel aspect ratio match the original files. I've tried starting a new project and re-importing the footage, opening the sequence in a new project, deleting and rebuilding my media cache, uninstalling and re-installing Premiere, etc. etc. I have no idea what's going on.

Has anyone experienced this – and, if so, do you know how to solve it?! I've wasted an afternoon and would be grateful for any tips.

If not... I'm switching to Resolve. I'm sick of Premiere bugs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

UPDATE: Managed to open the sequence in question by importing an XML file into a legacy (2017) version of Premiere. Problem is solved.

Can only conclude that this issue is some kind of bug in the latest version of Premiere?

Thanks all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the project settings for video rendering and black to Software only as follow -

File > Project Settings > General - Video Rendering and Playback set this to software rendering only.

If this doesn't help then you can also try resetting the Preferences of Premiere Pro CC as follow -

• Press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while launching Premiere Pro. You can release the Alt key or Option key when the splash screen appears.

You won't see the list of your recent projects on the Welcome Screen the next time you launch Premiere Pro, if the preferences were reset correctly.

NOTE: Your project files are unchanged; it's just that Premiere Pro's recent directories are wiped off too. Navigate to your project file's location to open it.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks – I tried what you suggested, but to no avail.

I also tried opening the same files in another programme, and they're displaying correctly. So it seems that Premiere has, for some reason, suddenly started interpreting the metadata attached to these specific files wrongly... or something!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked. thanks Vishu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make proxy files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not working with proxy files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What device created this source footage?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a combination of a Canon 5D and a 7D, I think. I don't know what marks, I'm afraid, but it was shot around three years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused.  Horizontally squished would give you window boxing (black on the sides).  Vertical squishing would give you letterboxing (black on top and bottom).

Can you clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doh, yep, you're right – I do mean vertically.

However, it's not even true letterboxing – it's just a thin, black bar at the bottom, as if the whole frame has been slightly (vertically!) squashed. And Premiere seems to be interpreting this black bar as part of the video – if I double-click in the program window and re-size the video by dragging the handles, the black bar is treated as part of the frame.

So... I'm confused, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case it's relevant: Premiere also thinks there's offline footage present in the sequence, and there's not. Even when I select a tiny extract for export (in which I know no files are offline), I get the "Offline material is present in this export..." message.

Thanks all! Any suggestions welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check all the footage for offline material in the metadata?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, nothing offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Managed to open the sequence in question by importing an XML file into a legacy (2017) version of Premiere. Problem is solved.

Can only conclude that this issue is some kind of bug in the latest version of Premiere?

Thanks all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens when you proxy the same video twice,
delete one off the proxies of the same video from the proxy folder, and the video will get resized to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just had this happen (last night) with a single proxy. The video was from a 7D Mk2 though (as the OP's was) so this must be some kind of bug specific to Canon video. Even after I reconnected the original file, it still did it until I deleted the proxy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, yes. Thank you. Searching for an answer to similar problem and this is what fixed it. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still occasionally happens to this day when you render. Had this happen to me just now, no proxies made. Tried making proxies to avoid it. Seems to be a lumetri bug. When you do any changes at all in lumetri colors and render, all hell breaks loose. Conclusion. Don´t grade in premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines