Exit

an adobe doc says not to use proxies if you're using modify: interpret footage

Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document is "long-form-episodic-best-practices"

and it says 

If your workflow relies on modifying the source clips using any of the following commands, do not use proxies in Premiere Pro. Doing so will result in unexpected behavior: Modify > Audio Channels

Modify > Interpret Footages

Modify > Timecode Modify > Captions

.At this point, we're not using a production workflow but might consider it if we see any benefits, but there will just be one editor on site (at least as far as I know)

I've used modify: interpret footage to override the colorspace so that mxf files play properly and when I've done this, it also automatically applies to the proxies...  

I'm assuming this is ok and guessing the interpret footage  caveat is only important if you're interpretting to adjust framerate   I've just started working on a large documentary project with extensive 4K 2 camera interviews and 3 or 4 camera performances...  We really need to work with proxies...  I could just relink to the proxies rather than using the camera original and then when we've locked picture, relink back to the camera original, but would prefer not to...

Never simple is it.

Any thoughts?  Thanks as always.  

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

gotta say, one of the few things that irritates me about this forum are the emails you get  from adobe when you've posted a question asking "Did you get the answer you needed?"  Was looking for a definitive answer...  what I got was 3 opinions from people who's opinions I respect...  Not the same thing...  So just to annoy everyone, I think I'll mark this as the correct answer...   

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure that is only meant to apply to interpreting footage framerates. But @Bruce Bullis would know for sure ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my thought exactly but that's not what the document says...   Bruce, would appreciate your take on this.  It's a big job and don't want to screw it up...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience I can also say that it only applies to the framerate. You'll break the proxy workflow as well as if you need to put out XML's for a colorist. Best to do all framerate changes in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the article forgot to say: dont use proxies when using variable framerate.

Even phones are considered cameras these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gotta say, one of the few things that irritates me about this forum are the emails you get  from adobe when you've posted a question asking "Did you get the answer you needed?"  Was looking for a definitive answer...  what I got was 3 opinions from people who's opinions I respect...  Not the same thing...  So just to annoy everyone, I think I'll mark this as the correct answer...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it means don't be surprised if you get strange/unpredictable behavior if you do use it.

I believe Interpret footage is often used in the wrong way.

I have turned off ALL email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure I understand what you mean by "I have turned off ALL email."  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, you turned off email notifications...  still haven't had any coffee yet, but waking up a little more..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can testify that at least for Modify > Audio Channels I do use it on multicam footage regularly:

1. Modify AVCHD FHD stereo clips to dual mono in the project panel

2. Create DNxHD FHD proxies

3. Create multicam sequence.

No problems so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The "Interpret Footage" is meant for changing cadences of video tracks ... from 29.97 to 24, that sort of thing. It's an interpretation of the media, not a speed change.

But of course with a large project especially a long-form doc with tons of different media from the slower 16mm cameras to various digital capture rates ... there's often a ton of interpretation needed. Why one wouldn't want proxies for that is a puzzlement to me.

But to the engineers, it's one of those self-obvious things that doesn't merit an explanation. Of course you don't want proxies on interpreted video media! ( .... ? ....)

"Well, if you do think you need them, just transcode after interpretation. Problem solved ... (with a mumbled 'not that there ever was a problem mind you ... ')".

Somehow engineers and users don't always see the same vision ... and Yairb's comment shows the weirdness of it all.

Works perfectly to "interpret" audio channels to set for different track types/numbers. And make proxies after doing so.

Um ... so why not with video tracks?

When talking with the engineers, go back to my comments above. Talking with engineers can be a very circular discussion at times.  😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines