Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

anamorphic export with side bars

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
I've edited a short film that was shot with Arri. From what I saw, the footage was shot anamorphic. The problem is that when I export, the image has side bars and seems a tiny bit smaller. Also, when the footage was imported in the project it does the same thing: it has side bars when it is shown in the window preview. I don't understand why it does that.
To make things easier to understand, I've uploaded screenshots: one is the original footage, one is the video exported and one is with my Sequence Settings.
It would be amazing if anyonne can help me with this issue. Thank you very much! image.pngScreenshot 2022-02-18 at 19.55.04.pngScreenshot 2022-02-18 at 20.00.36.png
TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , Formats , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I've noticed the first picture is too small, so I've uploaded here again.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 19.44.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first glans the exported file has a different PAR then the original, guessing that is why it has bars.

Please post screenshot export settings.

Please upload short testclip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ann,

Thank you for replying! I've uploaded what you requested. Below there is also a link to a test video. Thank you!

Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 12.16.36.png

https://vimeo.com/679659041/4d63ac343e 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a way to download the clip for testing.

Will need an original clip: dropbox?

Does the Aspect Ratio Button on the left tab do anything.

Please post screenshot of clip in Mediainfo in treeview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I forgot to "Allow downloads". It should work now. 

The aspect ration button doesn't seem to do anything helpful. 

I'm sorry but I don't know how to find Mediainfo. Is it by any chance the Metadata? 

Thank you for all your help and interest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its an aspect ratio thing: its not just the export, does the same on import,

Premiere sees the clip as 2.0 as this is all it knows.

Mediainfo says its 2.844.

Might want to read this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/interpretation-rules-txt-doesn-t-work/m-p/12...

Or stretch the clip to fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pot player and vlc also show sidebars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, it did the same when I imported the footage. I see them only with side bars in the preview windows. 

Thank you Ann for all your help! I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @razvanb19279018 ,

Sorry for this issue. Please check out the latest beta build once. This should be fixed. 
The sample media link you shared is no longer accessible. Let us know how it goes in the beta build.

Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @razvanb19279018 ,

Please check out the latest Premiere Pro version 23.1. This should be fixed. 
Let us know how it goes for you in the latest version.

Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is interesting.

I'd be happy to hear more from anyone including poster re: solutions and so on.

to poster: where did you get your first image with no sidebars ? your original footage. where did you get that ??? The little box in picture says mxf for extension...and if that is original stuff, how did you get mov files ??

Just curious.

thanks for putting up short sample, but it's mov and I don't know where that comes from.  kinda confusing.

a while back a dp friend was shooting some tv show and used anamorphic with arri cause showrunner wanted the light ( horizontal flares ) but network didn't want black bars on top and bottom, so they cropped off the sides (using safety frame for 1080p I guess ) to omit black bars on top and bottom. Yours is the exact opposite. very strange.  but I'm an idiot and never used anamorphic. I'll probably learn a lot from you uploaded sample, so thank you.

normal film camera anamorhic was 2.39:1 sometimes rounded to 2.4:1

If I choose vlc aspect ratio of 2.39:1 and shrink the window on my full HD laptop, the bars on top go away but ones on sides remain. very weird.  some new digital camera chips are larger than the ones initially used to mimic full frame 35mm film ...so if you can find out which camera shot this stuff, that might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply! 

Yes, the original footage is mxf. When importing in Adobe, for some reason, it shows them with the side bars in the preview windows. I exported as Apple prores, that's how it becomes mov. I tried to export a H264, but it still has side bars. 

Like Ann suggested and some other people, I will probably scale it a bit and then export. 

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put the mov file into resolve  15 just to see what I could  learn...and this is what I got:

which means I'm mystified and haven't helped at all....

maybe the black bars on sides got baked in during your xmf conversion to prores ?

PROJECT SETTINGS ANAMORPH.jpg

720p anamorph export.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm downloading the prores scope file ( 2 gig ) sample ...  gonna find out about this stuff one way or another....

ALEXA Mini Sample Footage (arri.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

got the arri sample, prores mov 4444 and put into vlc and see the bars on top and bottom as expected....

now I have to keep learning some basic stuff while I learn and get inspired here...thanks for everyone's help.

ARRI SAMPLE MOV PRORESCOPE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

raz, thanks for writing back. your solution of stretching is a good one as per Anne suggestion.

I put the arri sample into a timeline and exported the two clips ( yours and arri ) as 720p

I had to proxy to DNxHR SQ half resolution ( since I knew I was gonna export 720p) cause my laptop was choking on the arri stuff.

I adjusted levels ( in resolve it's a serial node you can use ), and in hindsight I shoulda added another node for " saturation" ( color ) for the arri clip cause it looks kinda drab ...

also, vimeo didn't give the the levels I was going for.... it's not quite as bright as expected, but who cares.

The whole thing for me, is to understand what's up with the format (anamorphic ) and having the correct dimensions and so on...

I imagine a real editing house ( post ) would be connected with title people, colorists, visual effect people, and so on.... so having the same exact stuff would be kinda important maybe ???

[video]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the mp4 on laptop uploaded to vimeo comparison... yikes.

left is vimeo and right is mp4 uploaded to vimeo... obviously brighter in oringinal mp4 so what's up with vimeo ????

MP4 UPLOADEDTO VIMEO.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing good to watch on tv so played some more....increased gain, about 10% saturation....

[video]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines