• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Announcement: Changes to QuickTime DNxHD support in Premiere Pro 22.3

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest release of Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Media Encoder, we have updated the way we create QuickTime DNxHD files. Here is a brief overview of those changes, as well as a history of updates to DNxHR files.

In the fall of 2020, we made significant changes to our support for DNx media. These changes included bug fixes and additional functionality, such as support for 12-bit DNxHR 444, and brought us up-to-date with the latest DNx specification from Avid.

The downside to doing this was that DNxHR media that was made in this new version of our apps could not be used with older versions. At the time, we were able to avoid making similar changes to DNxHD, and DNxHD files created with new versions still worked with old versions.

But... (you knew there was a "but" coming, right?)

After we made the changes, our friends at Avid told us that there were problems with the files we were creating – our DNxHD output was not working properly in the current version of Avid Media Composer. To fix that, we needed to make some more changes. Unfortunately, those changes affect the DNxHD workflow that we hoped to leave untouched.

So here's the scoop on DNxHD files starting in the v22.3 release of Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Media Encoder.

1.  QuickTime DNxHD media generated in v22.3 or later will not be compatible with previous versions of our products – those files will be imported as audio-only.
  2. DNxHD SQ Thin Raster and DNxHD LB can no longer be exported with an alpha channel
  3.  The way we create alpha channel information has changed, so the interface has changed. QuickTime DNx alpha options are now "None" and "Compressed"
  4. We fixed a bug where some Avid DNx media generated by newer versions of Avid Media Composer would import into our products as audio-only. If your DNx media from Avid imports as audio-only, please message me here on the Community or reach out to us on Twitter.com/adobecare 
  5. DNxHD output from the 22.3 release and later will no longer work in the older versions of Avid Media Composer. We recommend either updating your version of Avid Media Composer or moving to a DNxHR workflow.

Hope this information helps you keep track of your workflow. Any feedback left in this thread will be brought directly to the formats team! 

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caroline,

Thanks for the direct data. Even if not all is as we would hope.

Quick question, run this by Lars (we've talked about it before). That's what data range DNx files are in for the DNx 444 RGB ?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, you have received a reply from Caroline? Clarify the situation in DNxHD/HR and QuickTime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have not received a response from Caroline on this. Unfortunately.

@caroline_edits  ... how about checking that video-level/data-(full)-levels question for DNx in the "regular" forms, and the DNx in 4444 RGB with Lars?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An amazing woman ) I wrote and forgot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil & Baffy!

We forwarded these questions to the engineers you specified but haven't gotten a response. Everyone's been super busy recently! I'll send this out to the broader team and see if someone has some free time on their hands to reply here. I'll be honest, this topic is a little above my head so I'm learning as I go! 

Thanks for your patience,

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Caroline ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you 're welcome )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you add a legacy DNxHD option in the output modules that would be compatable with older Avid versions please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can submit that as a feature request for you. You may also want to do the same on our User Voice: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a desperately needed feature. As of 22.3, exported Avid DnX Quicktime files no longer work in most industry standard software packages, including fairly recent versions of Avid. It seems suprising that this is now considered to be "correct" behaviour. Avid DNxHD Quicktimes have been the standard VFX offline format on every major feature film production that I have ever worked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm right there with you.  I've been forced back to 22.2.1 for some time now because all Avid DNxHD Quicktimes starting with 22.3-22.5 render out black and the productions I'm on can't use them.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.  If so, it would be nice so I can continue to update to the latest version of AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking back on this thread. Were you able to submit this feature request, and has there been any progress on the Adobe end? The productions I've worked on are still unable to import DNxHD QT exports from recent versions of AE. I have no way to confirm whether newer versions of Avid are able to import these QTs, but editorial teams are not going to update their software or workflow for us, so I'm stuck using AE 22.2.1 until this is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas listed that UserVoice request in his post ... you could click on that link and upvote of course, and sometimes the UserVoice requests do include a note that the item is in-process.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but which link are you referring to? The link in the post I replied to just seems to take me to the UserVoice homepage with no specific request that I can upvote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct!

@thnord ... what's going on with this issue? It is rather difficult for a number of users.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've created a feature request for legacy DNxHD output in After Effects here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-ideas/add-a-legacy-dnxhd-output-option-that-would-be-co.... Please upvote it to help us gauge the interest in this feature.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just researching this issue and yes, this is a MAJOR issue if we want to use the newer versions of After Effects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even comprehend this. Why and who on earth dares to mess with this format as you know 10.000's of users are reliant on those formats on a daily bases! Sometimes I really think adobe is trolling.  This is soo bad :((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

Does this effect DNX .MXFs?  Its my personal go to format and have 1000's of files.

Will old 'verisons' of the codec still work in the latest release?

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this only applied to QuickTime DNx files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caroline, I think the answer is yes but can you confirm that previously recorded DNx Quicktime media generated in earlier versions of Premiere pro will still work in 22.3 and later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that to be true. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Caroline, 

This needs to be fixed, it's too big of a loose end for such a common industry workflow - After Effects -> Avid. Only a few will get to the bottom of this and find this thread, the rest will be throwing their monitors against the wall in frustration.

Please, please convey to the team it needs to be fixed.

Thank you,

Alan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding to the requests here that there needs to be some sort of workflow that allows us to render DNxHR files like we used to be prior to v22.3.  I'm stuck on v22.2.1 because of this "fix" which sadly doesn't seem to be a fix at all.  The productions that I've been on have all had issues with my Avid QTs when I send them after I try to upgrade.  I then have to roll back to 22.2.1 in order to get renders correctly.  Unless I'm missing something in the procedure.  But, I know that the Nuke users on the productions I've worked on don't have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines